Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMXP
PARALLAX MAPPING
(almost)
Hi! I'll share here a simple way to make something that looks like a parallax. It will allow you to make beautiful maps easily!

• PREREQUISITS:
- Photoshop (or Krita, CSP, Gimp, whatever you use to make your assets :LZSsmile: and if it's a first time for you, Krita and Gimp are free)
- RPG Maker XP
- It will be easier if you already know how to modify a tileset

I will use Photoshop personnally, but you can follow this tutorial with any software.

• FIRST STEP: Set up your map
Open your graphic software and start creating layers.

Personnally, I start with that:
Layer 01: ground (grass, sand, snow, lava, etc)
Layer 02: Usually plants, paths, rocks, etc.
Layer 03: Houses, trees, statues, etc.​

Then, I switch between those layers and add anothers when I want to complexify the map.

Tip :
- Use a grid template to correctly place your elements.
-- For Photoshop users, you can set the grid directly in the software: edit>preferences>Guides, grid&Slices> "Gridline every": 32 px and "subdivisions": 1.
  • SECOND STEP: Create the template
Now that you have a beautiful map with approximatively 36milion layers, let's clean that so we can create a template for RPG Maker XP.

You will need to merge your layers in only 3 layers that will correspond to the 3 layers of RPG maker XP!

WARNING: Before you merge, think about the permission (where can walk the character? What element are above the character? etc.)

Then, cut every layer by slices of 256px wide and arrange them vertically. RPG Maker XP can handle a very long size in height since you respect the 256px wide.

• THIRD STEP: Let's open RPG Maker XP!
A\ IMPORT THE TILESET
You just have to import your assets:
- Materials > Graphics/Tilesets > Import.
- or just drag and drop in the correct folder​

B\ SET UP THE TILESET
Create a new tileset and import the tileset you want. Don't forget to tell where your character can walk or not! This is the less fun part of this tutorial because it take long time. But do it conscientiously and test you map to be sure you didn't forget anything!​
upload_2019-8-17_19-7-24.png
C\ DRAG'N'DROP
You can now create a new map on RPG Maker and use the tileset you just created! Then, all you need is select each part of your map and just fill the empty one!​

upload_2019-8-17_19-12-39.png

AND IT'S DONE!

upload_2019-8-17_19-22-23.png

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Stream will be live shortly! Going to start with some Minecraft spriting, and might switch mid-stream. Depends~ Feel free to drop by!
MushroomCake28 wrote on Finnuval's profile.
Glad to see you're back! I was wondering what you've become! It's been a while since we spoke to each other!
zachb wrote on Human_Male's profile.
I know this was months ago, but I don't completely understand the lunatic states program (how you set it up). I just want to apply a stone state (and death) to a character after x amount of time. Can you show me an example of how to set it up?
Wish I could respond to @CraneSoft's latest profile post, but it does remind me. Anyone else out there who likes the Souls series not because of draconian git gud difficulty, but because of its melancholy atmosphere and various cool medieval equips?
I wish I had multiple displays!
one screen feels like using a small table, and the way i usually do things I have a lot of stuff open ...
So annoying !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
casterisque