Parallax Mapping

Discussion in 'RMVX Tutorials' started by Leumas, Apr 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leumas

Leumas Experienced Noob Veteran

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I hope you found this tutorial helpful and that you have success one day whilst Parallax Mapping.
    Accessibility Tutorial
    Credits:
    Maps:
    All were my mapping.

Graphics:
    Celianna & Pokémon (Siria’s Heart Parallax)
    Enterbrain (Tilesets)
    Mack (Tilesets)

Scripts:
    OriginalWij:
    Code:
    #==============================================================================# Sprite_Picture#==============================================================================class Sprite_Picture < Sprite#--------------------------------------------------------------------------# Update (Overwrite)#--------------------------------------------------------------------------def updatesuperif @picture_name != @picture.name@picture_name = @picture.nameif @picture_name != ""self.bitmap = Cache.picture(@picture_name)endendif @picture_name == ""self.visible = falseelsefixed = @picture_name.include?("[FIXED]") ? true : falseself.visible = trueif @picture.origin == 0self.ox = 0self.oy = 0elseself.ox = self.bitmap.width / 2self.oy = self.bitmap.height / 2endself.x = @picture.xself.y = @picture.y# addedself.x += (self.ox - ($game_map.display_x / 8)) if fixedself.y += (self.oy - ($game_map.display_y / 8)) if fixedself.z = 100 + @picture.numberself.zoom_x = @picture.zoom_x / 100.0self.zoom_y = @picture.zoom_y / 100.0self.opacity = @picture.opacityself.blend_type = @picture.blend_typeself.angle = @picture.angleself.tone = @picture.toneendendend

FAQ

Q: How do I add the tiles?
    A: You can COPY them from your tilesets and PASTE them in the map.

Q: Do I need to overlay the picture in order for the character to walk under?
    A: If there is a part of your map where you need to walk under then YES! – If not then don’t bother [​IMG]

Q: Can I use any tileset?
    A: As long as you think it’s suitable.

Finally, some people may think that I have stolen this tutorial however it is mine. I am under a different alias on this site than I was on this one. Please comment, if any queries arise, I will try my best to answer them.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2014
  2. randomuser

randomuser Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    edit

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2013
  3. Leumas

First Language:
    English
    That's nice to know, hope you find it as useful as I intended it to be!

4. Dactrius

Dactrius Elfophile Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm very much a purist and combined with my intense laziness, I refuse to dabble in parallax mapping. I have to say though, this is an exceptionally well written and interesting guide. Worth a read, even to me that won't get any use from it. I've always wondered with parallax mapping, how does the editor know where the player can and can't walk, since the map is just a background picture now? Surely you don't do it with a huge amount of events?

5. Leumas

First Language:
    English
    Were those rhetorical questions because I do answer it in the tutorial haha.

And thank you :3

6. Dactrius

Dactrius Elfophile Veteran

First Language:
    English
    No, I'm serious. I read this guide at nearly 4 am so I figured maybe I just missed it, but reading it again I'm not sure what I'm missing. You say "Set the passability" at the end, but I'm not sure how you would do that. I do apologise if I'm being blatantly dumb, but I'm just not sure what I'm looking for. I've always been very curious how passability is handled in a parallax map.

7. Leumas

First Language:
    English
    I've just looked over it and there seems to be some parts missing... I'll salvage them, the passability info must be in the missing parts...

Edit:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8coGVyqOGP-BttTuY6YGIu3LIWEju-4WtGLe15Z3YQ-QZiD1TagzE4F-1

I actually do not know what's going on but the above image (which has worked in the past) was supposed to be the beginning of it and it did explain about the passability stuff within it... The thing is, I don't have it on this computer any more and it just won't appear anywhere in it's large, proper form. I'm really angry haha, oh well. I keep looking for it, if not, I'll write up a quick explanation for you!

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2012
  8. Leumas

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

Here is a very quick passability mini-tutorial thingy. Hope it's sufficient, if not, just tell me :)

Oh I should mention also, if there's an overlay, make sure you still paint over the map if it's accessible or not, for example, if there was a treetop in an overlay that you could walk under, simply draw an accessible route under it and let the overlay... Overlay it :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2012
    Chaos17 likes this.
  9. Joeri

Joeri Villager Member

First Language:
    Dutch
    Thanks man :) Will try it out tomorow ^^

10. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    Really nice dude... Now I can combine all those items in different tilesets when needed... XD...

btw, at the pic you said about the two parts that will be explained later because they involve the script (the ones which are part of the wall but have been blackened)... I can't seem to find the explanation though...

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2012
  11. Leumas

First Language:
    English
    I do explain it, it's when I talk about the [FIXED] overlays. It's so the character looks as if he's walking under the part of the roof. Understand? :)

12. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    oh yeah, I just realized it after... :)

13. Adon

Adon ADONKADONK Veteran

First Language:
    English
    What a useful tutorial! It even uses the script I use for parallax mapping. Thanks very much!

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2012
  14. d_a_renoir

d_a_renoir Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Um, is it just me or is there not any picture in the post? It just says "Posted Image" and I'm not seeing any pictures.

15. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I see the pictures. Try using a different browser, maybe?

16. Leumas

First Language:
    English
    Like Shaz said, I'd suggest using a different browser, or maybe cleaning your internet cache?

17. Shablo5

Shablo5 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    What does that 'Sprite Picture' script accomplish?

18. Leumas

First Language:
    English
    Did you read the tutorial, it's in there. You should really read something before asking questions about it because it's explained in there.

19. SolarGale

SolarGale Learning Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Nice tutorial Sam, you can never receive enough tips on parallax mapping, now I have to practice practice practice! :3

Although now you may want to do a little section on using animated parallax and the like, but I think It's modern algebra's script that's the one that lets you animate, not too sure...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2012
  20. d_a_renoir

d_a_renoir Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Guh, Look at how much I fail. I see pictures now. My browser was being stupid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.