Parallax maps take too much Data

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Strashiner, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Strashiner

Strashiner Ambitious Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    How do I work around this

One thing I notice is my Demo is composed of several parallax maps, and even the demo has nearly 600MB of data

how do I work around this?

why are parallax map's so heavy in data?

Is there a way to make weigh less?

any thoughts?

2. supercow

supercow Artist Veteran

First Language:
    indonesia
    1. know for sure that its because of the paralax map and not the music that you did not pack , its possible to decrease the size of music/sound into just a few 30-100 byte (sound) , music probably more than 100 byte .

2. decrease the size of the paralax map = decrease their quality . -> use photoshop or other program

3. or dont use paralax map anymore .

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2016
  3. Strashiner

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    music eh?

how do you condense it to a few bytes then?

4. supercow

supercow Artist Veteran

First Language:
    indonesia
    find program that can change it to .ogg (sorry its been so long so i may be wrong of the name) .

been so long i forgot the program that i have used , sorry .

5. Nebuerys

Nebuerys Social Ninja Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I've been using https://tinypng.com/ to shave off a good amount of size from each picture. There might be other sites or software that could compress your files better but this is by far the best one I've found.

Strashiner likes this.
  6. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Music compression:

That depends a lot on what you do and how long the audio is, but it is not possible to compress real audiodata to a few bytes - you would have to switch from audio data to MIDI (which is NOT audio), and MIDI has its own disadvantages (which is the reason why it isn't used very often in todays games anymore).

Parallax data:

No way around it. The reason for tilesets is because pictures take up a lot of space for their data - if you switch to parallax and don't use tilesets, then that will increase not only your workload but also the space requirements a lot.

A tileset map needs 2 Bytes per map square (both layers) to store the data, a parallax picture will need 2KB (32x32pixels x 16 bit color) data per layer per map square, that means 4KB data per square for a two-layer-parallax.

Yes, picture compression will reduce that quite a bit, but no compression can elimitate that factor of 1000 for the data completely.

7. Milennin

Milennin "With a bang and a boom!" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I fail to see how .ogg files reduce the sizes to a few bytes. Even the .ogg songs that come standard in MV are all several MB in size.

8. noctiluca

noctiluca Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    You can compress the ogg files with something like Audacity. Music files will still probably be a few hundred KB to a couple megabytes depending on the length.

Graphics can take up a ton of space if you don't compress them. If you want to keep your file size small, do what game creators had to do back in the SNES and Playstation days and reduce color data to under 256 colors. If you have pixel art maps (and the palettes are decently put together) this should be pretty easy to do. But if your parallax maps have advanced transparency features and so on, though, you may be stuck with large files even after compressing them a bit, unless you don't mind the detail loss (and it could be extreme). A hybrid solution may be by compressing the non-transparent layers like ground etc. to 256 colors, and keeping stuff with lots of alpha data like light and shadow as-is or minimally compressed. You would still have large files but it could make a small dent.

What program did you make the maps with and how many do you have?

If I were doing it I'd make a Photoshop action to compress the maps in large batches.

9. supercow

supercow Artist Veteran

First Language:
    indonesia
    milennin : i dont use MV , i only use XP  , the sound is a few byte , music sure its a few mb depending on the music .

if the music is just loop and short its possible to be less than 1 mb .

10. Strashiner

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I see

now come to think of it

the reason why a ton of games rely on RTP tiles is because it doesn't take too much data

upon knowing this

I feel ultra down

sob sob T.T

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Ah don't worry, I'll always find a way.

The tiny ping thing seems funny.

I'll see what happens.

EDIT:

HOLY CRAP IT TOOK 2MB OFF MY PICS!

DAYUM!

11. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Also make sure to remove resources that you are not using if you haven't. Remove music files, "RTP" parallax images, any tilesets, etc, that you are not using.

12. EternalShadow

EternalShadow Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Basically, a tileset is a piece of data that the programming can draw off from. You can easily have 20 tilesets with different pass abilities drawing from only one image, yet increase the size only a few kilobytes if that. However, if you have a different image for each tileset, then your size will be bloated by all of those images.

Marsigne likes this.
  13. Milena

Milena The woman of many questions Veteran

First Language:
    Irish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Compression pf music to shorten data is an OKAY process, but quality reduces. It won't be late till you find out that if you really want to shorten your music data is you have to result to 8bit so it gets into KB. 

Nevertheless, Parallax Maps really takes too much data especially on how much you put in the game and its resolution. Wider Parallax = more file size addition.