Parallax Performance and Grid sizes

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Parallax Panda, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Parallax Panda

Parallax Panda Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped... Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Hello,
    Some questions here regarding parallax mapping, changing default grid size and performance.

Since I ask these questions in relation to each other I post them all in the same thread.

Q.1
    Is it possible to use more than one parallax background at the same time at this present moment (I don't think I've seen a plugin for it yet). I specifically want to use one layer for the map and use transparent water and have another parallax underneath to emulate moving water/sky reflection. Of course I will be using overlay pictures as well (probably 2 layers – roofs & lightning).

If no, would it be possible to make it work by using "show picture" for the basic layer as well and the parallax for the water? In my head this seems to be a good solution but I've not been playing with RPG maker in a long time and I'm not sure about anything anymore.

Q.2
    If I change the grid size using Shaz plugin to half the size of the original (24x24 instead of 48x48) then I assume that this will make the map twice as performance heavy as it was? At least if you use a tileset, no?

What if I use parallax mapping and no tiles what so ever, will it still demand more CPU and memory from the user? Events and tiles aside, will things like the need to paint more tiles with regions make the game slow down? I plan to use regions a lot because of the nice launch plugins.

Q.3
    I don't expect anyone to give me a clear anwser to this one but I am still curious about the "limitations" of parallax mapping with the new engine. It is said that MV is faster, so I expect it can handle slightly bigger parallax maps compared to VxAce, but the question is, about how much bigger do you think? What would be playable for the average user?

For example, what about 200x200 parallax maps with 3-4 overlay layers as well as a parallax background?

Since MV can now export to smart phones (which can handle a lot less) it would be nice to hear your opinion on how far you can take your parallax mapping on these platforms as well without lag. Is it even a recommended practice if you are planning to make a mobile game? What about browser games?

Thanks for reading all the way down here. ;)

2. Kaus

Kaus The Sagittarius Bearer Veteran

First Language:
    Taglish
  3. Parallax Panda

Parallax Panda Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped... Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    @Kaus

Thank you, that plugin is a very good solution to Q.1 and probably solves that issue for me.

4. MikeMakes

MikeMakes Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I was wondering about the same things with Q.2. I have never done parallax mapping before, and was wondering would using tiles for overlay be more memory efficient than creating separate pictures with transparency.

Parallax Panda likes this.
  5. doranikofu

doranikofu Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Chinese
    I'm curious about Q3. I have used panorama maps in XP and there was some memory issues when most people only had 256MB memories. But it was generally okay.

When I'm trying parallax map (a image as map) in MV, I have noticed a significant lag when moving. I can feel every few seconds I can notice a short "pause" in scrolling. Is it possibly a bug? It is hard to imaging it is a memory issue as nowadays people typically have GB of memory...