Status
Not open for further replies.

Soah

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
I've built a parallax map and put it in the game as parallax background. It all looks fine and clear in the editor of MV but when I try it inside the game it is all blurry, the whole parallax. Checked the size, tried it with plugins disabled, saved it again with a different graphics program (maybe strange meta data), but it is always blurred in game. The parallaxes that come with MV are blurred in game too (even though not as noticable, due to the lack of sharp edges). Funny enough, when I try it as a picture event, it is crystal clear. I've put the normal tiles over the parallax for comparison.

Is it just like that at the moment or is there a way to fix it?

blurred1.png

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've built a parallax map and put it in the game as parallax background. It all looks fine and clear in the editor of MV but when I try it inside the game it is all blurry, the whole parallax. Checked the size, tried it with plugins disabled, saved it again with a different graphics program (maybe strange meta data), but it is always blurred in game. The parallaxes that come with MV are blurred in game too (even though not as noticable, due to the lack of sharp edges). Funny enough, when I try it as a picture event, it is crystal clear. I've put the normal tiles over the parallax for comparison.

Is it just like that at the moment or is there a way to fix it?

attachicon.gif
blurred1.png
Well, if Im not mistaken, did you not increase the size of the image in your image editing software before you saved it into your parallax folder? If so, then increasing the size of any image will always make it blurry. Until they make it so that saving map images saves them at the default resolution, they're always going to be blurry.

Soah

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
No, I have not increased any picture sizes. The picture itself looks good. It only gets blurred when I use it as parallax in game (again, only in game, it looks fine in the rpg maker itself). So of course I also did not use the map export feature as I know it is broken right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

nicksp

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm also having the same problem, if someone could help solve this that'd be amazing lol

Jory4001

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I have noticed this with certain battlers too.

Perfect and crisp when viewed outside of rmmv but in game they become very soft.

As for parallaxes, i have only used them for overlay lighting any blur on it wouldn't be noticeable.

I will be testing very detailed crisp pixel parallaxs tonight with varying sizes of maps and layers so i can give some better feedback after that.

Sneakaboo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
Having the same issue and the work around isn't working for me.

Even did a test myself to be 100% it isn't resolution based.

Step 1: Made a tile 5x3, just your basic round tile.

Step 2: Put it in in a tileset and used it in the editor, image was accurate and sharp

Step 3: Made a 20x20 map fill the ground and put this 1 tile there.

Step 4: Put ! upfront and loaded it as parallax through Galvs/Kaus and regular way.

Result: All three images were blurred while the character was sharp

Step 5: Loaded the same map through picture bind

Result: Sharp and clear.

Step 6: Made a 20x20 map in Ace and loaded the parallax tile 5x3 on it.

Result: Sharp.

Step 7 : Toyed around with GPU scaling and ratio's to no effect.

The suggested plugin didn't work for the parallax map.

Yes it made the character in the engine more pixelated, how ever the parallax map remained untouched.

Even by not using the plug in and just changing the settings in the index.HTML file didn't work.

I would really like to know how to fix this.

All with all not enough love for parallax mapping in MV.

Just feels like a buggy mess.

Jory4001

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Here is a comparison of the original File and a screen capture in game.

No stretching.

It becomes very soft, so soft that it takes using the blur filter in Photoshop on the original 3 times to become as soft as in game.

Compare.gif

(Gif doesn't work right in the post, you have to click on it to see the animated comparison)

Sneakaboo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
That sums it up a lot better.

Was kind of surprised that this wasn't mentioned on a large scale.

Just like the fact mv doesn't have nice round tiles like xp.

Tommy Gun

♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
The suggested plugin didn't work for the parallax map.

Yes it made the character in the engine more pixelated, how ever the parallax map remained untouched.

Even by not using the plug in and just changing the settings in the index.HTML file didn't work.
You tried the bind-pictures-to-map plug-in? I haven't tried that yet. If that doesn't work either, then :(

---

Edit: Here are screenshots I took to show the blur (it's 2x size). This is with the Kaus plug-in. Look at the last one, and see how blurry it is compared to the character.

parallax-blurry.png

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Check your video card drivers and see if it has antialiasing smooth for RPG Maker MV.

Also check Yanfly's Core Plugin. It has that option.

Are you guys also testing this in full screen etc.?

Sneakaboo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
Nah I don't use super sampling and FXAA for RPG maker.

If anything I use the default setting with FXAA off.

I've tried some different settings but it remains the same.

Keep in mind if you enable SS it would also have to display when you are not having the para option enabled or when you would use the picture overlay plug in.

This isn't the case.

1: No difference in RPG maker ace or the picture overlay plug in for parallax mapping, both are crystal clear.

Default MV parallax mapping option and plug ins that work with it, blur.

2: The blur remains with the basic parallax plug in the plugs ins mentioned above.

3: I've used a clean project with no scripts what so ever and it does it.

I've also tried with yanfly's and putting a false tag on scale tile and nothing

Here is an example

Top: Basic parallax used through MV

Bottom: Same tile but used in the editor

Note: These are test tiles and the quality has been reduced for uploading, but the difference remains visible.

2zs1jf9.png

Tommy Gun

♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Check your video card drivers and see if it has antialiasing smooth for RPG Maker MV.

Also check Yanfly's Core Plugin. It has that option.

Are you guys also testing this in full screen etc.?
Thanks for replying, because I think this is a big issue. The blurring *only* happens on the parallax layer. If you look at the image I attached above, the character is perfectly crisp. And no, it's not full screen or resized at all. Normal maps look perfect--again, see my screenshots for the direct comparison.

fallenlorelei

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I have the same problem when I use the built-in "add parallax background" to the map (with foreground.js to add the overlay, also blurry).

Edit 2: Here's the post I made earlier about it with before/after pictures (parallax in editor is fine; parallax in game is super blurry): http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/47504-how-to-remove-blur/?p=481964

It took forever to figure out, but realized BindPicturesToMap does not blur my images, so that's what I'm using now. The other overlay/parallax plugins should work as well. (Edit: I actually haven't tried any of the other plugins haha so maybe they don't work!)

Sneakaboo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
The other overlay plug ins (galv/Kaus) both have the blur as well, bind picture doesn't have it.

I rather have the issue resolved than just ignoring some great plugins just because there is an issue with RPG maker MV.

Essentially the problem is that RPG maker MV adds a blur to parallax maps (for some reason) and I don't know how to disable it.

Obviously this is bugged since if this blur was considered a good thing it would have been applied to the tile set and pictures as well.

That aside I prefer working with note tags (like in Kaus) over making long events to make a basic parallax map work.

But that's a personal preference.

I also don't think it is much to ask to just have the very minimal parallax support there is in MV (image shot and parallax mapping lock) just to work.

People have been beta testing this, this must have been seen.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Send me your parallax image so I can test too.

Sneakaboo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
I've done so, curious about the result.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
OK we managed to find a fix but it'll require some clean up.

The pixels are not 1:1 the same like in Map-Editors....the reason for that is how PIXI.js handles the TilingSprite...it stretches the parallax to fit into the next power of two of the image-size and then scales it back with OpenGL while rendering. So theoretically, if you are using a parallax where width and height are power of 2, like 512x1024 the parallax should look perfect even without our changes. So gotta fix that first.

Tommy Gun

♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Are you saying you're working on a fix to RMMV itself? Or will a plug-in fix it? Either way, thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

RivalRamen_Games wrote on jacobv1014's profile.
I really like your profile picture! Who is that in it? is she an OC?
Making his first game
This scene was suppose to be a test... but now, it's going in the game as official side/optional content. :kaosalute:

functionality(This is function demo not game demo)
1 The door of ABS map can open upon clearing all the monsters
2 Secret room/road arrow/lighting/whatever others can be shown upon clearing too
3 Boss HP bar and loot effect, loot jump and item name color as well as the pick-up animation effect
4 Back to town and "victory aftermath" screen for ABS maps/rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quant