T3sCoconuts

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi all, well i have started doing some parallax maps, though im having a issue with one of the maps, the main city, is rather large, currently set to 92/78 i have thought about splitting it up into several maps or districts, but i have it already split into 4 lots given different base tile sets for each, (now that im thinking about it with parallax mapping you i would not have any tile set mixing issues,...)

anyway, dose anyone know of a method to get a screen shot of the map big enough, so that i may be able to parallax the map as it stands,

T3sCoconuts

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
orange mapshot take a screenshot of the full map in the original size.
that is probably one of the best or most used plugins for making parallax maps.
thankyou for that lol at the same time DAM now i have to parallax every map T_T lol jokes im finding the parallaxing fun even so i didnt want to use it at first,

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

I've moved this thread to RPG Maker MV Support. Thank you.

I assume you are asking about RPG Maker MV based on your profile. If you were asking about a different Maker, just report this post and let us know which so we can move it to the right section.

For your reference, Maker General -> General Discussion is for discussing engine-neutral game development stuff (like the creative process, opinions of genres, or how to navigate digital sales). For engine-specific questions like your own, just post in that engine's Support section.

One final thought - Parallax Mapping on maps as large as yours have a very real chance of creating some lag/performance issues for the player (not to mention the big extra time commitment you need to swallow to create them). It's your call of course, but if you're simply taking screenshots of tile maps as a base to work from anyway, then it's worth considering just using regular tile mapping.

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
most parallax maps are default or not bigger than 45x45, to avoid lagging, but also make
you use a preloader plugin like galv or any other ones to load the images so it can be
smoother to walk on without any issue.

ImaginaryVillain

High Cultist of the Sporkle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Also worth mentioning something like https://tinypng.com/ or https://compresspng.com/ if you're doing large parallaxes. I ran my PNGs through Tinypng and got a 72-74% size reduction on all of them, but couldn't see a quality difference.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ImaginaryVillain compressing a picture only reduces storge size on the harddrive. It does not reduce the RAM requirements because the map always needs to be uncompressed in memory to be played on.

@T3-mith Your mapsize of 92x78 is approaching the limits of what can be done with parallax mapping.
High-End-Computers can usually handle parallax maps of up to 150x150, low-end-computers sometimes have problems with parallaxes of 50x50. And if you deploy to mobile even 50x50 goes beyond what most devices can handle.

The problem is that as said above a parallax needs to be uncompressed in RAM to be played on, and that requires a lot of RAM the larger a map gets. You can make a very simple test: Save your parallax picture as a BMP. BMP has no compression at all, so the filesize of the BMP will tell you how much RAM that specific map picture would need in memory while the player is walking the map.
Add to that that in most cases a parallax map uses two such pictures and that you'll need more RAM for the engine itself and all those events on the map and you'll know why it needs a high-end-computer with lots of RAM to run larger parallax maps.

ImaginaryVillain

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It is possible that it doesn't help with a parallax. I don't actually use MV's built in parallax. So haven't put it to the test. It helps immensely with other images such character, pictures and weather though. The simple act of doing that took my game's RAM usage from 1.4 gigs to 900mb. And took the minor lag spikes from the enemies spawning (originaly 5-7mb spritesheeets) and reduced them to nonexistent. I advise everybody to compress all of their images.

pasunna

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It is possible that it doesn't help with a parallax. I don't actually use MV's built in parallax. So haven't put it to the test. It helps immensely with other images such character, pictures and weather though. The simple act of doing that took my game's RAM usage from 1.4 gigs to 900mb. And took the minor lag spikes from the enemies spawning (originaly 5-7mb spritesheeets) and reduced them to nonexistent. I advise everybody to compress all of their images.
yes
and also it make player eager to download smaller game
more than a 1.8 gb demo...

ImaginaryVillain

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Haha yes, that too. it was pretty much amazing to see those files reduced by 72-74%. I forgot to mention I did that to the animations too... The whole game is currently 339.3mb. It literally went from over a gig, to that. Amazing!

T3sCoconuts

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
over working the ram was the reason i didnt want to use parallaxing in the first place ~,~, though i can work with only using parallax maps on special maps that i cant make other wise,
thanks for all the replys, sorry about the late reply

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I forgot that forums have profile walls that you can post or comment on, guess I found a new platform to specifically rant about game-related deranged thought or problems that I have. Salut mes amis!
I couldn't help myself, so I edited the tiles a bit and made a birdhouse :LZSsmile: I hope I will finish the town today!Screenshot 2021-09-17 134349.png
How do I find the threads I have watched? It's been so long I've forgotten :kaoswt:
So far, this is how the wall tileset its looking in-editor. :kaoswt2:
1631863283853.png
Still thinking on details to add.
Added a plugin to RMMV Plugin Releases with all relevant info but it looks like the topic wasn't approved for whatever reason. Cool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheBilby