Parallel process event persists between maps?

4m5er_S1ime

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey there.

So uh... I've got this weird issue with a Parallel Process event going on. I'm working on an introduction for a game, featuring a character walking down a road while monologuing in their head.

The parallel process event code is extremely simple:
◆Set Movement Route:Player
: :◇Speed:3
◆Set Movement Route:Player (Repeat)
: :◇Move Down
This parallel process event is paired with an autorun event that handles the character's dialogue. At the end of the autorun event, the character/player is transported to another map. Here's a truncated version of the autorun event for context:
◆Wait:600 frames //This is just a pause before the dialogue.//
◆Text:EmoGirl(0), Dim, Bottom
: ://Around five text boxes of complaining alongside some foul language I don't want to place on this forum//
◆Transfer Player:ScotsmanBar (16,12) (Direction: Left)
Now, what I expected to happen once the maps changed was for the parallel process event to just... stop happening. After all, autorun events stop when the player leaves the map the autorun event is in, so I figured the same thing would occur for parallel process events. But to my confusion, the player character continues to move downwards, as the parallel process event tells them too, even after the maps have changed.

Is this a bug? A feature of parallel process events I didn't pick up on? And more importantly, how do I fix the issue I have here?

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Can you post a screenshot of both events?

Also, while an auto event and parallel event may stop when changing map, if you transfer command is in the middle of an event, the rest of the event will continue to execute itself on the new map until the event process is finished.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The error is your move route, you set it to repeat, so the player is going to always move down. That would occur regardless of what you used, as repeat means keep doing it until I tell you to stop.

To stop it you need a set move route -> Player with a new command which will overwrite the old command. If you have no command you need to give, just leave it blank.

BTW, you don't need a parallel process for a move route repeat, as repeat also has you keep doing the action. You can put that set move route repeat in your autorun and forget the parallel process completely as it adds nothing to it.

4m5er_S1ime

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here's the Autorun Event:AutoRunEvent.png
And the Parallel Processing Event:ParallelEvent.png

and thanks for the advice, bgillisp. I appreciate the help!

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Like I said, the error is your move route. You can't use move route repeat without a canceling event, as repeat means do it forever. So you need another move route to cancel that out.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
get rid of the parallel process event. In the autorun event, add a move route at the top that does the speed and move down, and set it to repeat. At the end, just before the transfer, add a move route with no move commands and don't set it to repeat. It will stop the player moving and cancel the previous move route.

caethyril

^_^
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMV
To clarify: the Set Move Route command gives a character a move route. The command acts once, but if the move route itself is marked "repeat" then the route will keep the character moving until you tell them otherwise. Like bgillisp & Shaz have said, giving a character a non-repeating empty route is the simplest way to tell them to stop, since only one route can be active at a time. :kaophew:

For completeness: characters can have two kinds of move route: autonomous and "active". Auto move routes only really apply to events; active move routes are applied by the Set Move Route command. When an active move route ends, the auto route (if it existed) is reinstated. :kaopride:

Now, what I expected to happen once the maps changed was for the parallel process event to just... stop happening. After all, autorun events stop when the player leaves the map the autorun event is in...
Also, while this doesn't seem to be the issue here, it's not quite correct. :kaoswt:

Events on a map (including active Parallel/Autorun common events) are valid for triggering/starting. On changing map, Parallel events do indeed stop (in the case of Parallel common events, they'll start again immediately because they're also active on the new map); however all other events, including Autorun, will continue as normal until they finish. Details below, in case you're interested~
When an event triggers, its commands are placed into an interpreter. This interpreter then goes through the commands and handles the relevant effects, including waiting for Show Text and stuff like that. Parallel events each have their own interpreter attached to the event, but other events all use the main interpreter: only one non-Parallel event can be running at a time. When the main interpreter is occupied, standard player movement is disabled.

When an event is triggered, it is marked as "starting"; once it starts, the "starting" status is cleared. Parallel and Autorun events can both trigger whenever their interpreter is not in use, i.e. Parallel events will trigger, wait for the event to end, then trigger again immediately; Autorun events will behave much the same except they may have to wait for another event to finish first.

When you change map, all events are cleared but the main interpreter remains intact. This means that all Parallel events (including common events) stop immediately, because their interpreters get cleared. The new map's events are then loaded, along with any relevant Parallel/Autorun common events. The main interpreter keeps running, so if you have, say, an Autorun event with any commands after Transfer Player, those commands will be executed on the new map. It can be confusing to organise things like that, though; it's often recommended to have one Autorun event per map for cutscenes that span multiple maps. :kaothx:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

The new intro Logo for my videos.

I speed it up, the one I use to use was to long.
The workweek is now over. Now I can work on my GamZzzzzZzzzzZzzzZzzZz....
Just watched Onward with the family. One of the best movies I've ever seen. <3
2 hours & 20 minutes remaining. :D
...trying to hurry finish up all commissions before I never put the controller down again ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YKJordan