lunarrosecrow

Era of the Crow is now
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello everyone I have quite a few questions I'd like to ask I didn't want to make multiple post and flood the latest Thread feed, I know this is probably an obvious question in this day and age of RPG Maker lifespan but, I was wondering I know it's possible to have one character such as a main character that changes outfits on the go or at a hub but is it possible to have a whole party change outfits as well as classes this way via menu or hub?

Also side note is there a way to expand the party member limit from 4 to 5 or 6 and if so does it break the game in any way or changes things?

Lastly what are the changes between MV and MZ how different are the two I waited a while to get into MZ since I had so much resources for MV however, MZ has had an immense spew of content released for it via the DLC shop would now be the right time to swap over to MZ?

myenemy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You're missing a couple of punctuation marks on the first paragraph, so excuse me if I there's anything I don't understand.

How do you "change outfits at the go or at a hub" for a main character? Do you use a specific plugin? Do you just run a change sprite?
If there's a way to make it for the whole party, it must likely work from here, depends on how you do it, you can make it collective too.

Yes, there's a lot of plugins that change your active party limit, and it doesn't break the game, you just have to adapt the characters positions on side battle or party params in front battle.
You can't do it vanilla yet, though.

They say MZ is more stable and manages resources better.
In my experience it does get rid of a lot of unstabilities from MV, and the game script changes quite a lot, specially for visual plugins. The very base of the project is entirely different to begin with as it's already a different "language version" (so you understand) to begin with. Plugin parameters and plugin commands take in a lot more options for scripters to work with and makes them a bit more visual for the level designer.
MZ comes with front battle and side battle, and you can change turns based on rounds, or enable ATB mode, both waiting or not waiting for player to do something to go on with the battle.
Maybe you should check some of the comparison videos for this.

Last edited:

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just to offer my two cents on a few things:
They say MZ is more stable and manages resources better.
In my experience it does get rid of a lot of unstabilities from MV
Maybe? I never experienced instability with MV, either in the editor or the game I'm making in it. I have had MZ crash much more frequently for the little bit I've used it. I think this is more a system environment issue than it is any large difference between MV/MZ.

and the game script changes quite a lot, specially for visual plugins. The very base of the project is entirely different to begin with as it's already a different "language version" (so you understand) to begin with.
I would suggest this is less different than you make it sound :smile: The majority of the core script ("the very base of the project") is actually identical. Yes, there are some changes and those are primarily to the graphical side of things, so if incorporating more 3D effects and such is important, then that's a point for MZ. But most of the code is the same, which is why so many MV plugins can function in MZ.

MZ comes with front battle and side battle
So does MV. You're correct, though, that the built-in ATB mode is unique to MZ - however, there are several perfectly functional plugins for it for MV.

I agree that doing a bit of Googling for the many existing threads and YouTube videos is the best way to get this information. The layered map editor is a benefit of MZ, as is the fact that it offers MacOS support. The number of existing plugins for MV is a benefit there, as is the fact that the biggest libraries are fully editable in their code; whereas the VisuStella project for MZ is obfuscated, limiting how much you can customize your game with it.

I know it's possible to have one character such as a main character that changes outfits on the go or at a hub but is it possible to have a whole party change outfits as well as classes this way via menu or hub?
I agree with myenemy that your post is a bit hard to read. I know you're excited, but take a breath - the more legible your post, the better answers you'll get :wink:

I haven't noticed an option for MZ, but SRD's Character Creator for MV is very well-regarded for customizing your character sprites in-game. There's no difference between "a main character" and your party, they're all actors in the database and the game.

Also side note is there a way to expand the party member limit from 4 to 5 or 6 and if so does it break the game in any way or changes things?
Obviously it changes things, especially in the UI. But it's easily done; again, just Googling it will turn up a lot of options. I know the Yanfly/VisuStella Core plugins have it built in, I'm sure there are others.

MZ has had an immense spew of content released for it via the DLC shop
If you're just looking at assets in the DLC shop, not plugins, the majority of those are the same for MV and MZ. The only things that aren't directly compatible are generator parts and Effekseer animations. Everything else, from map tiles to music to character sprites, are the same. So that's not any reason to buy new software.

myenemy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I see I brought some confusion upon my answer
Maybe? I never experienced instability with MV, either in the editor or the game I'm making in it. I have had MZ crash much more frequently for the little bit I've used it. I think this is more a system environment issue than it is any large difference between MV/MZ.
I specially mean after deployment. I mostly use web deployment and often later into android. It takes longer to load, but it's more stable for me.
I would suggest this is less different than you make it sound :smile: The majority of the core script ("the very base of the project") is actually identical. Yes, there are some changes and those are primarily to the graphical side of things, so if incorporating more 3D effects and such is important, then that's a point for MZ. But most of the code is the same, which is why so many MV plugins can function in MZ.
About that, I meant what's below corescript, besides the rpg maker wise changes. It has a change of philosophy at it too. Technically it's just a major update consecuential to the time release that doesn't affect that much the project itself. I just didn't want to go into detail.
Most of my MZ plugins are also backwards compatible because of the small difference there ;)
Also, many MV plugins are "ported" to MZ by FOSSIL plugin now.

Some people are really quite in favor of switching to MZ, but lately I've been noticing that MV is becoming more popular again because it's cheaper.
MZ brings a few more things than MV, but not so much as for you to "have to" switch, VX to VX Ace was a bigger jump for me at least, which also recovered a couple of minor features from XP and 2003.

Driftwood gaming had a couple of comparison videos around when MZ released.

Arthran

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I was wondering I know it's possible to have one character such as a main character that changes outfits on the go or at a hub but is it possible to have a whole party change outfits as well as classes this way via menu or hub?
There are different ways that you could do this. If it doesn't need to be a super dynamic thing, then you could use pre-generated sprites for each different outfit, and then just change the the character's sprite to the new one using an event command. If you need it to be more extensive/dynamic, then I believe that KC_CompositeBitmaps can be used to create a paper doll system. Alternatively, you can supposedly get SRD's CharacterCreatorEx working in MV if you use FOSSIL + a compatibility patch.

Just copy and paste this into a new .js file, and add it to your project through the plugin manager. Just change the number 4 to be whatever number you want as your max battle members.

JavaScript:
Game_Party.prototype.maxBattleMembers = function() {
    return 4;
};

It won't break anything in the base game. However, if you're using too many battlers in a SV battle, then you might need to increase your game's resolution to allow them to all fit on the screen comfortably. Either that, or use a plugin to change their positioning.

While it won't break anything in the base game, it's possible that there are some plugins that are written in a way that assumes that you are using a max party size of 4 members--in which case increasing the max battle members will obviously conflict with those plugins. I don't know of any such plugins off the top of my head, but I'm just mentioning it since the scenario is possible.

Lastly what are the changes between MV and MZ how different are the two I waited a while to get into MZ since I had so much resources for MV however, MZ has had an immense spew of content released for it via the DLC shop would now be the right time to swap over to MZ?
It's not exhaustive, but here is a list of differences that I once made in response to another post:

Objective advantages in MZ

• The performance of the engine has been significantly improved. When I say significant, I mean literally several times better. You can improve MV by updating NW.js, but even when MV has an updated NW.js, MZ will still perform better on purely graphical stuff (animations, special effects, lighting plugins, etc).
  • Added ability to manually control layers when mapping. If fully utilized, this allows you to make your maps less blocky and more organic looking. It allows you to use transparent backgrounds in your autotiles, so you no longer have to use square roofs, square cliffs, and square forest borders and such. Unfortunately, not a lot of tilesets make use of this feature, since so many people aren't ready to move on from MV yet, so the tileset creators still feel compelled to support MV--but the possibility is there.
  • MZ natively supports 16x16, 24x24, 32x32, and 48x48 tile sizes. This means that you have the option to use tilesets from the older engines, as long as you're licensed to do so. This can be really cool, because VX Ace DLCs are way cheaper than MV/MZ DLCs. This also makes things easier for people who are going for more retro looking games.
  • Script calls can contain an unlimited number of lines. This is very huge for people who know at least a little JavaScript, because it allows you to add a lot more power and flexibility to your events. Personally, I'd never be able to go back to MV's meager 12 line limit.
  • You now have the option to use a 3D particle engine for spell animations, which allows for smoother, nicer looking animations. But the old method is still supported as well, for those who prefer sprite-based animations.
  • There are new battle modes available (Time Progress and Active Time Progress). As far as I am aware, MV actually doesn't have any plugins that can replicate the Active Time Progress mode.
  • MZ comes with almost 3x more background music, almost 3x more background sounds, almost twice as many music effects, and over 100 more sound effects.
  • There is a built-in autosave feature. It is nicer than any autosave MV plugins I've seen, because it saves asynchronously. The MV autosave plugins will cause a perceptible pause while they're saving, whereas MZ's autosave happens in the background.
  • There is built in support for changing game resolution.
  • On dialogue boxes, there is built in support for displaying the name of who is speaking.
  • MZ games can be played by people who use MacOS 11+, whereas MV no longer supports Mac.
  • There are new traits in the database.
  • There is new Game Data accessible through the Control Variables command. One such example is that you can now save the last user of a skill to a variable, or the last target of a skill to a variable, which makes it easier to add cool effects to your skills without having to use plugins.
  • Added ability to preview movement routes when creating them.
  • Added ability to shift pieces around in the character generator.
  • Added a list of all events on the map. This is very helpful if you use template events or something of that nature, because you don't have to go around the entire map randomly editing events to try to find a particular one.
  • Plugin commands are now selected from a drop-down menu, so you don't have to memorize them anymore.
  • Exporting a map as an image now produces the proper size. This is handy if you choose to do parallax mapping.
  • Plugins can be enabled and disabled easier.
  • Better touch screen support.
  • Maximum limit of the number of major database items, variables, maps, common events etc. all increased.

Arguable advantages in MZ

• This is just anecdotal, but I believe that MZ's editor is more stable than MV's. I've heard a lot of horror stories about MV crashing, glitching, and corrupting people's data, but I've never really heard of such an issue with MZ. But being honest, I didn't have this issue on either editor, so I'm just going based on complaints that I've seen.

Objective advantages in MV

• Price. MV is cheaper, and some of its popular plugins are cheaper.

Arguable advantages in MV

• Number of plugins. In terms of the raw amount of plugins available, MV has a lot more. However, a very large number of those are duplicates of other plugins, so it's kinda hard to care about them. You don't really need 7 plugins that all do the same thing. Furthermore, almost all of them are abandoned by their authors at this point, and a lot of them are buggy and/or poorly optimized. And on the flip side, MZ has well over 1,000 plugins at this point, so most anything you need can be found. Not to mention, there is project FOSSIL which allows you to use MV plugins in MZ (including most of Yanfly's plugins, as well as Moghunter's Chrono Engine). Additonally, MZ has also been gaining some neat new plugins that MV doesn't have lately. So I'd personally call the plugin situation kind of a wash.
  • Yanfly's MV plugins are not obfuscated, whereas the direct MZ equivalent of those plugins are obfuscated. If you don't know what that means, then this probably won't be a problem for you, but it is a pretty big deal to some people. The reason I put it under "arguable advantages" is because Yanfly/VisuStella plugins are by no means the only plugins that exist. There are literally thousands of other plugins to choose from, so it's not really that hard to just use plugins from a different creator in most cases. Then there's also the previously mentioned fact that there actually *is* a way to use Yanfly's MV plugins in MZ (by using FOSSIL).

Last edited:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to MV Support. Thank you.

Please limit your threads to one question each, and post them in the appropriate place for that particular question.

lunarrosecrow

Era of the Crow is now
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There are different ways that you could do this. If it doesn't need to be a super dynamic thing, then you could use pre-generated sprites for each different outfit, and then just change the the character's sprite to the new one using an event command. If you need it to be more extensive/dynamic, then I believe that KC_CompositeBitmaps can be used to create a paper doll system. Alternatively, you can supposedly get SRD's CharacterCreatorEx working in MV if you use FOSSIL + a compatibility patch.

Just copy and paste this into a new .js file, and add it to your project through the plugin manager. Just change the number 4 to be whatever number you want as your max battle members.

JavaScript:
Game_Party.prototype.maxBattleMembers = function() {
    return 4;
};

It won't break anything in the base game. However, if you're using too many battlers in a SV battle, then you might need to increase your game's resolution to allow them to all fit on the screen comfortably. Either that, or use a plugin to change their positioning.

While it won't break anything in the base game, it's possible that there are some plugins that are written in a way that assumes that you are using a max party size of 4 members--in which case increasing the max battle members will obviously conflict with those plugins. I don't know of any such plugins off the top of my head, but I'm just mentioning it since the scenario is possible.

It's not exhaustive, but here is a list of differences that I once made in response to another post:

Objective advantages in MZ

• The performance of the engine has been significantly improved. When I say significant, I mean literally several times better. You can improve MV by updating NW.js, but even when MV has an updated NW.js, MZ will still perform better on purely graphical stuff (animations, special effects, lighting plugins, etc).
  • Added ability to manually control layers when mapping. If fully utilized, this allows you to make your maps less blocky and more organic looking. It allows you to use transparent backgrounds in your autotiles, so you no longer have to use square roofs, square cliffs, and square forest borders and such. Unfortunately, not a lot of tilesets make use of this feature, since so many people aren't ready to move on from MV yet, so the tileset creators still feel compelled to support MV--but the possibility is there.
  • MZ natively supports 16x16, 24x24, 32x32, and 48x48 tile sizes. This means that you have the option to use tilesets from the older engines, as long as you're licensed to do so. This can be really cool, because VX Ace DLCs are way cheaper than MV/MZ DLCs. This also makes things easier for people who are going for more retro looking games.
  • Script calls can contain an unlimited number of lines. This is very huge for people who know at least a little JavaScript, because it allows you to add a lot more power and flexibility to your events. Personally, I'd never be able to go back to MV's meager 12 line limit.
  • You now have the option to use a 3D particle engine for spell animations, which allows for smoother, nicer looking animations. But the old method is still supported as well, for those who prefer sprite-based animations.
  • There are new battle modes available (Time Progress and Active Time Progress). As far as I am aware, MV actually doesn't have any plugins that can replicate the Active Time Progress mode.
  • MZ comes with almost 3x more background music, almost 3x more background sounds, almost twice as many music effects, and over 100 more sound effects.
  • There is a built-in autosave feature. It is nicer than any autosave MV plugins I've seen, because it saves asynchronously. The MV autosave plugins will cause a perceptible pause while they're saving, whereas MZ's autosave happens in the background.
  • There is built in support for changing game resolution.
  • On dialogue boxes, there is built in support for displaying the name of who is speaking.
  • MZ games can be played by people who use MacOS 11+, whereas MV no longer supports Mac.
  • There are new traits in the database.
  • There is new Game Data accessible through the Control Variables command. One such example is that you can now save the last user of a skill to a variable, or the last target of a skill to a variable, which makes it easier to add cool effects to your skills without having to use plugins.
  • Added ability to preview movement routes when creating them.
  • Added ability to shift pieces around in the character generator.
  • Added a list of all events on the map. This is very helpful if you use template events or something of that nature, because you don't have to go around the entire map randomly editing events to try to find a particular one.
  • Plugin commands are now selected from a drop-down menu, so you don't have to memorize them anymore.
  • Exporting a map as an image now produces the proper size. This is handy if you choose to do parallax mapping.
  • Plugins can be enabled and disabled easier.
  • Better touch screen support.
  • Maximum limit of the number of major database items, variables, maps, common events etc. all increased.

Arguable advantages in MZ

• This is just anecdotal, but I believe that MZ's editor is more stable than MV's. I've heard a lot of horror stories about MV crashing, glitching, and corrupting people's data, but I've never really heard of such an issue with MZ. But being honest, I didn't have this issue on either editor, so I'm just going based on complaints that I've seen.

Objective advantages in MV

• Price. MV is cheaper, and some of its popular plugins are cheaper.

Arguable advantages in MV

• Number of plugins. In terms of the raw amount of plugins available, MV has a lot more. However, a very large number of those are duplicates of other plugins, so it's kinda hard to care about them. You don't really need 7 plugins that all do the same thing. Furthermore, almost all of them are abandoned by their authors at this point, and a lot of them are buggy and/or poorly optimized. And on the flip side, MZ has well over 1,000 plugins at this point, so most anything you need can be found. Not to mention, there is project FOSSIL which allows you to use MV plugins in MZ (including most of Yanfly's plugins, as well as Moghunter's Chrono Engine). Additonally, MZ has also been gaining some neat new plugins that MV doesn't have lately. So I'd personally call the plugin situation kind of a wash.
  • Yanfly's MV plugins are not obfuscated, whereas the direct MZ equivalent of those plugins are obfuscated. If you don't know what that means, then this probably won't be a problem for you, but it is a pretty big deal to some people. The reason I put it under "arguable advantages" is because Yanfly/VisuStella plugins are by no means the only plugins that exist. There are literally thousands of other plugins to choose from, so it's not really that hard to just use plugins from a different creator in most cases. Then there's also the previously mentioned fact that there actually *is* a way to use Yanfly's MV plugins in MZ (by using FOSSIL).
This is what i needed thank you very much and to add about changing outfits it doesn't need to be something extravagant I want to just have characters somewhat be able to change outfits to something to things I already have in my generator so no need for custom sprites. So you are saying that if I want I would just need some sort of event so for example if I had a shop or something similar NPC you talked interacted with that would work and I can somehow link classes to certain outfits for example,

Final Fantasy X-2's Dress Sphere function comes to mind where the 3 characters could swap outfits in combat or in the menu it'd change their class but, in this instance I could tie it to a traveling merchant or something similar right, would I also be able to tie this function to the start menu as well if I needed too?

Attachments

• dYevHq3.jpeg
    dYevHq3.jpeg
    180.4 KB · Views: 4

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

And my new character is complete!... at least the design now i gotta do spriting :kaoswt:
Screenshot_20221208-134313_Autodesk SketchBook.jpg
gotta love when an update is forced when yer in the middle of making a map and ya didnt save in a half hour XD least its still in my head..nvrmind lost 2 maps ;-;
I'm on my phone at work. Don't tell my boss - oh, never mind. He just walked in.
Also, it's been a while since I posted haha!
ScreenShot_12_7_2022_8_57_56.png
part of the common event help menu I'm working on. I used Yanfly's Common Event Menu to set it up and here's a screen of once you've selected one of the options. This one explains the 6 different battle commands.
KDS
Hey guys! Iam currently updating my free digital art shop , let me know if you need anything done :) https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/kds-free-open-digital-art-shop.17097/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucia123456789abc