Not open for further replies.

Cherry-sama

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
In my game, after a certain point, all potential party members are optional, allowing the Player to work with whatever combination they want. With that in mind, when certain cutscenes play, if a specific character is in your party then they will do and say things (with the help of Lemony's Script http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/737-followers-move-routes/ ).

However, right now, if there are over four people in the party, then they don't show up as following the main character. I wouldn't mind this if with Lemony's Script, and the events I have up, the game wouldn't crash if the party member that is meant to do something isn't standing right behind the Player, therefore not being technically "there", and thereby crashing the game.

I know there are scripts that allow you to have more than four people following the main character at a time, but with what I have so far, it would just be WAY too much work to download them and adjust all my scenes to account for this. I would really just like to limit the maximum number of party members to four.

I would download Yanfly's party member script ( http://yanflychannel.wordpress.com/rmvxa/core-scripts/party-system/ ), but I just want to do this one thing, and it seems like a waste to download a huge script like that just to only use one feature. Plus, Yanfly's script adds a whole bunch of extra data, layouts, and the like, which I don't want to spend hours sorting through if the script automatically assumes I want to use this new layout.

I've done searches for my problem, and I haven't come up with anything that really would help my situation. If someone could direct me to someone who would know how to code it so I can limit the number of party members, that would be great. :)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the problem is that in default, the number of actors following the leader is the same as in the active battle members.

Which means you can easily increase the number of people following the leader (just change a number in the default scripts), but at the same time all those followers become active in battles.

To change the number of followers without changing the number of battlemembers is more complex and requires a script.

Other users have asked for something like this before, but I don't have a link to those solutions...

Cherry-sama

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
the problem is that in default, the number of actors following the leader is the same as in the active battle members.

Which means you can easily increase the number of people following the leader (just change a number in the default scripts), but at the same time all those followers become active in battles.

To change the number of followers without changing the number of battlemembers is more complex and requires a script.

Other users have asked for something like this before, but I don't have a link to those solutions...
Well, like I said, the other people who had this problem solved it by downloading Yanfly's Script. But I don't want to do that because I don't want to get all the extra material that Yanfly's Script comes with. I was hoping that someone would know a line or paragraph of script which would be able to fix the problem in a snap. Do you know anyone who might know how to do this?

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The player can't add and remove members unless you provide the events to do it. Why don't you just do a Control Variables to get the party size, then a conditional check to ensure the party size is less than 4, and only allow a new member to be added if it won't go over the limit?

gvduck10

Quacker Jack
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Shaz's suggestion worked for me... In my suikoden-inspired game (108 recruitable characters), I have the player "speak" to the characters that they want to add to their party, and just use a Variable to make sure Party size is not >=6. If it is, they get a Party Full message.

Cherry-sama

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The player can't add and remove members unless you provide the events to do it. Why don't you just do a Control Variables to get the party size, then a conditional check to ensure the party size is less than 4, and only allow a new member to be added if it won't go over the limit?
Okay, I'm not sure how to access that through Control Variables, but working with it with regular variables has worked wonderfully. Thank you.

:)

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Control Variables is how you put a value into a variable - it IS "regular variables".  Control Variables is the event command you use.

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Friendly reminder that you don't have to be able to do absolutely everything. It's okay to scale back features or assets if things are too much - especially if you're the only one working on the game! And you can always add things in later. <3
My new cutscene system makes it so much easier to add parallel stuff happening in the background, I can easily fill the whole screen with action.

I remember once when I was at Disney's Animal Kingdom and I got to dance with some of the cast members! It was so much fun! After the show my dad and I got frozen lemonade and some ice cream. It makes me feel better remembering the good things about my dad... maybe I will return to Orlando.
spending almost entire day to mod skyrim but it still couldn't run properly :(
My friend has become one with the glitter. @ImaginaryVillain, got any room in the Cult of the Sporkle?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie25