Lynvia

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've looked through existing RGSS3 scripts here, but don't really see what I'm looking for.

Before I decide to settle for a party chooser that doesn't necessarily fit what I'm looking for, I wanted to drop a query here and see if anybody has a solution I didn't see, or someone is looking for a project. :)

During the first part of my game, about first 3/4, party selection needs to be handled ONLY by Events and scripted by the plot. 3/4 of the way through the game, once the final goal is determined and all party members are 'met' and assemble at this Drunken Dragon Inn, the game will allow the user to select the party members to accompany the leader in the final assault.

The plotted device for this is an item the leader carries, that is upgraded in the 'cutscene' to allow him to choose his party at will. For certain tasks, he will 'need' certain party members with special abilities, but he will have to use the device to 'teleport' back to the Inn to select his party.

Need:

When a specific item is Activated/Upgraded, I need a new Menu Option from the Esc menu to appear, to allow the user to select party members. Current plot that I've written out assumes that the party leader (locked, while choosing anyway) will be teleported to a certain Bar/Inn, where he can walk around and talk to each choosable party member, until his party is complete. Each party member in the Inn would be an Event, where you're given the choice, Add to Party Y/N when you walk up to them and press Action. Once he is done, he should be able to complete the party selection and return to the map and position he was at before.  I envisioned this to operate similarly to the 'End of Time' party chooser in Chrono Trigger, except returning to currently saved Map Point rather than the taking a Warp Hole option used in that game.

I'd be ok with instead of teleporting back to the Inn, he simply chooses party members from a scrolling list. However, there's a cast of nearly 40 to choose from. So it would Have to be a scrolling list.

Even past this point, I need the ability if a given party member is present (ex: the summoner Kaalah) the party is reduced at an event to just her so she can go on a mission, then when the mission is complete, return the party to its chosen composition. During that mission, party choosing would need to be disabled.

The menu option could be enabled via a switch that could be turned on by the 'Final Assault' cutscene.

Any ideas how I could accomplish this, maybe via existing party choosing scripts?

MeowFace

Meow
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Meowish
Primarily Uses
That can be done by eventing alone.

Have a parallel/auto event at your inn that automatically remove all party members.

And simply have your items add the members back to the party.

Lynvia

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Um, ???

Thanks for the reply. Maybe I can handle it with just events...?

The door to the inn will have two 'tabbed' events, one which will put you into the 'Normal' inn, if 'PartySelector' is OFF. (That switch will be turned on and stay on about midway through the game).

The other (only if PartySelector is ON) will put you into a copy of the inn, where all your party is removed and you have to walk around picking them from their positions at tables.

The item in question, though, is a trigger that will teleport the user to the second Inn, ripping all party members out, and forcing you to reselect them. (Copy of the event at the door, really, except it HAS to store where you are in the map, so that when you trigger the item again, it will teleport you BACK, with your party.)

The item would then need three event tabs - one if PartySelector is OFF (a do-nothing, really) one if PartySelector ON and Actor NOT in Inn, which stores his location, rips away his party, and tosses him into the Inn. One if PartySelector ON, and Actor IS in the Inn - to transport him and whatever party he's chosen, back where he came from.

I had wanted this to be an additional menu option from the ESC screen, for ease of use, but using a key item could work I suppose, I'm just not sure how to hook using the item with eventing the player back to the Inn, never having done that before. I don't even remember seeing an Event page on an item, but I am away from the laptop that has VX Ace, so can't check.

I'll search for a tutorial on Eventing and Item usage... Thanks again for the answer.

MeowFace

Meow
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Meowish
Primarily Uses
Simply call a common event via your item or skill should work.

edit:

There are also scripts out there in the master script list that allows you to add extra commands that runs a common event when selected to your menu.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Wasting so much time trying to get a sprite behavior to work. I feel like banging my head against a wall.
Well... it’s been a real pain in the IRS today. :/
My kitty still young (3-4 months), I think I could teach her some funny tricks... like: "Play dead-ly good music for my games"
Here's a quality DPS class idea: The Beekeeper, who uses the "Bees!!" skill to attack and poison enemies.
Please don't create long, boring cutscenes in which characters do nothing but stand around talking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xafir