Party Splitting Mechanic

MushyFox

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd Like to start out by saying this is planned as a puzzle mechanic. I have be scratching my head over how to do this, but I will do my best to describe the idea.

Essentially, I am looking to have 2 separate parties of 1 character each. There is no level system and stats will be the same throughout the game. What I am looking to do is have one character be controlled at a time.

To give you an example:

Bob is a human of normal size.
Lux is a pixie of tiny proportions.

The player has control of bob, who looks through a crack in a wall and sees a switch on the other side. The player presses a button on the key board and bob is left as an "idle event" on the map. The player now has control of Lux, who can fit through the gap. She goes through (I can make this part work with events easily ) and flips the switch. The way forward is opened.

Basically I want to be able to track a characters location, mark it as an event, preset an animation to that event then assume control of another character (who was an idle event somewhere else on the map). The idea is that the player can switch between the two who interact with the world in different ways, like in the example. Is there a way to do this with events? If so that would be awesome. If not is there a way it can be scripted.

The best example visually I can give is from the game Ib. When Garry and Ib are separated and have to interact with 2 different maps to solve then next set of puzzles. The only change I am looking for is not using a tile to change characters.

Final summery.

-Be able to switch characters on the fly.

-Make the point on the map where I make the switch the point i go back to when I switch back.

-Have the players health be retained after switch back (Eg. Bob had 5/10hp when I switched, so when I go back to bob he still has 5/10)

-No specific "step here to switch characters" tiles.

-the parties must always consist of 1 actor. (if possible)

Thanks for all your help.
-Mushy <3

P.S. I am fully aware of how to do this with those "Step here to change character tiles" but I want to try and avoid them if possible. If a way can not be found I will use that.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This can all be done with eventing. Have 2 actors and use Change Party Member commands to add/remove when they do the swapover. Use Control Variables to save the mapid, x and y location of each actor before you do the swap, then when you swap back use those variables in the transfer command.

You will need to state what engine you are using, so a mod can move this to the correct forum. Game Mechanics Design is for discussion of general game mechanics. Support forums are where you go to get help implementing a specific idea into your game. I suggest you change the Primarily Uses entry on your profile so it's clear which engine you're using.

MushyFox

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay, I'll play around with a blank game. Thanks Shaz. I'm using RPG Maker MV, sorry for the inconvenience Mods. ^-^"

Sunzoner

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This can all be done with eventing. Have 2 actors and use Change Party Member commands to add/remove when they do the swapover. Use Control Variables to save the mapid, x and y location of each actor before you do the swap, then when you swap back use those variables in the transfer command.

You will need to state what engine you are using, so a mod can move this to the correct forum. Game Mechanics Design is for discussion of general game mechanics. Support forums are where you go to get help implementing a specific idea into your game. I suggest you change the Primarily Uses entry on your profile so it's clear which engine you're using.
Thanks. I was wondering about similar mechanics.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to MV Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Stream will be live shortly with a session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!
Took a break from spriting dinosaurs to carve a dinosaur pumpkin.

Little early but to all of you that celebrate it :

Tomorrow is Halloween! I can't wait to go to Boxi Park and show off my costume! Also one of Dad's friends is staying the night, so he might get to see the show.
Here's the title-screen for the game I'm working on: :LZSgrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FinnEver