Napoleon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
#game_map #-------------------------------------------------------------------------- # * Check Passage # bit: Inhibit passage check bit #-------------------------------------------------------------------------- def check_passage(x, y, bit) all_tiles(x, y).each do |tile_id| flag = tileset.flags[tile_id] next if flag & 0x10 != 0 # [☆]: No effect on passage return true if flag & bit == 0 # [○] : Passable return false if flag & bit == bit # [×] : Impassable end return false # Impassable endSo what bit do I have to pass for no direction? Like I just want to know if the tile is not passable at all from any direction? The documentation says it only supports directions 2, 4, 6, 8. But I have no direction. Just pass 0?

Last edited by a moderator:

whitesphere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Passing in a 0 would not be right.  The flag & bit would always return 0, meaning everything is always passable. 

You could iterate over all 4 directions, like this:

passable=true

[2, 4, 6, 8].each {

|dir| if ($game_map.check_passage(x, y, dir) == false)

passable=false

}

I'd imagine there's a more efficient way though.

Another Fen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Remember that you have to divide the direction value by 2 to get the corresponding direction bit.

[Removed some wrong statement of mine]

Napoleon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
Thanks that works. I did add a minor fix though to prevent it from crashing.

def any_direction_passable?(x, y, directions = 0b1111) return 0 != all_tiles(x, y).inject(directions) { |res, tile_id| flags = tileset.flags[tile_id] # <<< changed tile to tile_id to prevent the crash next (flags & 0x10 == 0) ? res & ~flags : res }endYou removed your "wrong statement"? It seems to work for me?

P.S.

You don't mind if I add that method 1:1 into my core script?

Another Fen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Argh, it seems I was too slow deleting my code fragment... ^^
The method does return wrong results at the moment, as a direction is marked as unpassable when any tile is unpassable for that direction, even when a passable tile was already found...

Sorry for that.

Edit: I think this should do instead:

def any_direction_passable?(x, y, directions = 0b1111) # Get the first non-star-tile:  tile = all_tiles(x, y).find { |tile_id| tileset.flags[tile_id] & 0x10 == 0 }  # Return true if any of the given direction bits of the first found tile is 0:  return (tile != nil and (directions & ~tileset.flags[tile]) != 0)endThis fragment should work correctly as long as the original check_passage method is not redefined.

Napoleon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
in that case I go with whitesphere's solution:

def any_direction_passable?(x, y)    [2, 4, 6, 8].each { |d| return true if check_passage(x, y, (1 << (d / 2 - 1)) & 0x0f) }    return false  endUntil I find a more efficient solution.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think 10 checks for passability in ANY direction.

I don't remember why I think that ...

cremnophobia

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
def any_direction_passable?(x, y) check_passage(x, y, 0x0F)endUntested, but this does do the job, doesn't it?

Another Fen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
The default definition of check_passage should not return usable results for multiple direction bits.

When the result is true then at least one of these directions is actually passable, when the result is false at least one direction is impassable. If some of the directions are passable and some are not, then the result will be case dependent.

However, in theory that issue should be easy to fix (did not test that yet either^^):

Change line 10 to
return true if flag & bit != bit  # [○] : Passable

if the method shall return true when at least one of the given directions is passable...

...or change line 11 to
return false if flag & bit != 0  # [×] : Impassable

if the method shall only return true when all of the given directions are passable.

After doing that cremnophobias suggestion should work.

cremnophobia

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Wait, I think I'm confused. Could you clarify what you are looking for, Napoleon? If any (as in Enumerable#any?) direction or if all directions are passable?

Napoleon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
Any indeed is what I'm looking for.

But AnotherFen's solution + your bit seems to do the job as far as I have tested. I also tested it with tiles with only a few passable directions including stars.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

so... I decided since a park was an area in my game... here's an enemy that's slide with a hand behind it. cause why not.
Hot chocolate and music make studying and note-taking much easier :kaoluv:
Until my hand cramps up from writing too much!
Doing RPG Maker News for 21st September 2021

Malak is still waiting for Dark Deception Chapter 4... This was him yesterday after another sugar crash.
Again, he's fine. He's just bored at this point, considering he's exhausted his entire vacation bucket list.
Am I the only one who files custom resources under specific folders to remember who to credit? :kaoswt2:
1632263519730.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlaireBear1