First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Passive Skills
Version 1.4
by Fomar0153

Description
Implements a passive skill system, where you can equip and unequip passive skills from the Skills menu.

Features
Customise how many points you have to equip passive skills.
Replace skill icons to indicate if a passive skill is equipped or not.

Screenshots
oCDHX2o.gif

Screenshot uses an x offset of -180 and has the on iconindex set to -1.

yaPyy5T.png

If you're not using TP, then the above screenshot is more likely how set the plugin up, this one uses the default on and off iconindex.

How to Use
Place the plugin in your project's js/plugins/ folder.
Inside RPG Maker MZ's editor, open the Plugin Manager.
Create a new entry and select this plugin from the list.
Customise the options to your liking and then click ok.

Passive skills should be of the skill type you set in the options.
Passive skills should add a state with the traits you want the passive skill to have.
A passive skill's mp cost is used to determine how many points it takes to equip.

k1KU9Lg.png

Setup states for the passive skills.

2ReazeP.png

Add the state to the skill and then when equipped the state's traits will be added.

Download
Click here.

If you are using Visustella's SkillsStatesCore then you can use this version which accounts for the display changes.
Click here.

FAQ
Q: I got an error.
A: Please be really specfic about what you did when the error occurred, hit F8 and it'll give you some more details that might be useful to me. Does it happen in a blank project?

Credits
Fomar0153

Terms of Use
As long as I am credited, you may use this plugin in your projects both commercial and non-commercial.

Version History
1.0 -> 1.1 - 22/08/20
Fixed a bug where all non-PP bars, always displayed the max value.
Fixed a bug where the PP bars would show up in battle.

1.1 -> 1.2 - 23/08/20
Fixed a bug that could cause a crash if you attempted to activate a passive skill when you don't have any.
Fixed a display bug where the PP cost of passive skills could be displayed incorrectly when MP cost rate wasn't 1.

1.2 -> 1.3 - 23/08/20
Fixed another bug that prevented any non-passive skill from being used.

1.3 -> 1.4 - 13/09/20
Increased compatibility with menu plugins and skill learning plugins.

Last edited:

AcousticJamm

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I think this is really good. Is it possible to give yourself skills with this?

Fomar0153

Arkz
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You want a passive skill to give you an non-passive skill?

I haven't tested it but it should work just fine, add the skill you want via the state's traits.

NinjaKittyProductions

Professional Murder Hobos
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I love the plugin Formar ^_^.

I think I found a bug though. When using the Time Progress (active or wait), the active bars ( the ones that go up and let you know when it is your turn) are always full and do not move/ are not animated anymore.
Capture.PNG

I can confirm that yes, as long as you have the state give them the skills and the appropriate skill type usage (magic, special, etc.)

AcousticJamm

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I've been reading in the help file and it says that the MP cost is the number of PP it takes to equip. Why not make it a notetag you can put in the skill?

Fomar0153

Arkz
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I love the plugin Formar ^_^.

I think I found a bug though. When using the Time Progress (active or wait), the active bars ( the ones that go up and let you know when it is your turn) are always full and do not move/ are not animated anymore.
Wow, that's impressive. Looking into it now.

I've been reading in the help file and it says that the MP cost is the number of PP it takes to equip. Why not make it a notetag you can put in the skill?
It just made sense to repurpose mpcost to me rather than introduce notetagging.

Sword_of_Dusk

Keyblade Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wow, you are a coding machine right now! This is super awesome!

Fomar0153

Arkz
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Ok fixed. All non-pp bars were receiving their max value in place of their current value. I also spotted another bug and fixed it at the same time.

Version 1.0 -> 1.1
Fixed a bug where all non-PP bars, always displayed the max value.
Fixed a bug where the PP bars would show up in battle.

Wow, you are a coding machine right now! This is super awesome!
Thanks. Trying to do one or two a day, I actually streamed coding this plugin start to finish earlier. I'm currently just trying to make all the plugins I know I will use when I next game make.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
i got a question. so im new to rpg maker and i've been using RPG Maker MZ and I have been doing good. the question is, how do you get that passive box in the skills tab?

Sword_of_Dusk

Keyblade Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
i got a question. so im new to rpg maker and i've been using RPG Maker MZ and I have been doing good. the question is, how do you get that passive box in the skills tab?
You need to create a new skill type. Name it Passive, and you're good to go. You can add new skill types via the Types tab in the database.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You need to create a new skill type. Name it Passive, and you're good to go. You can add new skill types via the Types tab in the database.
Thank you so much, its been bugging me for 2 days stright

Blaon

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
Very nice plugin, thanks for the great work Fomar.
Just a quick question. Is it already viable by the use of this plugin + default engine features to make specific "hidden" passives trigger when you have selected specific passive skills? So you can create passive combos that create a new passive
For example: You select three specific passives, like "higher mp" + "higher hp" + "+20% parry", and it automatically adds to the character a new passive skill only while those three are selected.

Swish

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
Quick bug report. When selecting Empty slot by pressing Enter, an error which is visible below appears. I believe simple fix would repair that :)
1598201952585.png

Fomar0153

Arkz
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Very nice plugin, thanks for the great work Fomar.
Just a quick question. Is it already viable by the use of this plugin + default engine features to make specific "hidden" passives trigger when you have selected specific passive skills? So you can create passive combos that create a new passive
For example: You select three specific passives, like "higher mp" + "higher hp" + "+20% parry", and it automatically adds to the character a new passive skill only while those three are selected.

Sorry not possible with just this plugin and the default engine. If someone makes a conditional trait plugin then it should be achievable with the combination.

Quick bug report. When selecting Empty slot by pressing Enter, an error which is visible below appears. I believe simple fix would repair that :)

Thank you for the detailed bug report and for bringing the bug to my attention. Just fixed it and another bug.

Version 1.2 is now available. It fixes two bugs.

Edit: Version 1.3 is now available. 1.2 introduced a new bug.

Last edited:

Oddball

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
If i get MZ, would it be possible to use this so the passive skill applies the state at the beginning of combat, and it can get removed. But it's reapplied at the start of the next combat?

Fomar0153

Arkz
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
If i get MZ, would it be possible to use this so the passive skill applies the state at the beginning of combat, and it can get removed. But it's reapplied at the start of the next combat?
By default they're always on if you turn them on. It should be possible with some eventing to apply a state at the start of battle if you use a couple of conditional branches but it would be removed if you were KO'd in that battle. More information would let me give a better answer.

Oddball

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
By default they're always on if you turn them on. It should be possible with some eventing to apply a state at the start of battle if you use a couple of conditional branches but it would be removed if you were KO'd in that battle. More information would let me give a better answer.
Oh yea. Eventing. It could apply a state if they have the passive state

Oddball

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I found a.. bug? in the script

If you have the passive skill that has a chance of adding a state from basic attacks, even if you make the apply rate 100%, it never adds the state

Fomar0153

Arkz
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I found a.. bug? in the script

If you have the passive skill that has a chance of adding a state from basic attacks, even if you make the apply rate 100%, it never adds the state

Apolagies but I just tested and it worked fine. The attack state from the passive skill got applied. Are you sure everything is setup correctly.

Oddball

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'll try it again only having the charecter use the normal basic attack, i had changed their basic attack

Edit: yup. that was the problem

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

It's been so long... lol
Theydies and gentlethems, presenting Touch the Stars character #1: Anna Smith and her transformed form, Sagittaria!1624568259771.png
Anyone seen Dsiver around?
I wish character bust packs had options for both side-facing and front-facing for the same characters.
Looks like I'm going to have to cancel another game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirioshinteru