RMMV Path Out (Demo Available!)

MercuryLegba

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Path Out is is an autobiographical adventure game, that allows the players to replay the journey of Abdullah Karam, a young Syrian artist that escaped the civil war in 2014. Path Out is a tale full of surprises, challenges and paradoxical humor, giving insight in this real-life adventure, on which Abdullah comments through youtube-style videos in the game.

Disclaimer!
This game is an autobiographical adventure based on the ongoing Syrian civil war. It features depictions of violence, atrocities and general hardship.

The Project

Path Out is an episodic game. In this very first part of the adventure, Abdullah recalls life before the war, a family decision that led to his departure and the perilous journey from his hometown Hama to the Turkish border through the war-torn Aleppo province. In its final version of up to five episodes, the game should take the player on a journey from Syria through Turkey, Greece and the Balkan until he finally arrives at his destination (and current home) in Central Europe.

The game is deliberately designed in the style of classic role playing games, a graphical language which stands in sharp contrast with the portrayed sujet and the dramatic events of the game. Despite politicizing a genre that is mostly known for fantasy and horror themes, the game doesn’t want to appear moralistic or educational, but create a radically different way to tell the story of a young Syrian gamer and artist from his very own perspective.

Another tool for this strategy is the ongoing presence of Abdullah as a youtuber style video commentator in the game itself, scolding the player for getting “himself” killed or making snide remark on oriental design elements that might be too stereotypical. His relationship with the player character is kept ambiguous on purpose. While the journey is clearly based on Abdullah’s personal path, the player character will also experience stories by friends and relatives. Again, this narrative freedom will be commented on via video.

Features

• adventure style RPG based on real events
  • Relive Abdullahs escape from war-torn syria.
  • Unique neo-orchestral electronica music with oriental influences by wobblersound.
  • Meticulously researched pixel art style inspired by classic 16-bit games and Syrian art
  • Video commentary by Abdullah Karam

Trailer

The Characters

Screenshots

The Team

Abdullah Karam aka De Oh Vi (Story & Design)
Georg Hobmeier aka Mercury Legba (Level Design & Production)
Brain Main (Graphics)
Tilmann Hars aka Headchant (scripting)
Wobblersounds (Music)

Script Resources & Plugins

Yoji Ojima

Soulpour777

Galv

Hime

Kaus

Mariusz 'koder' Chwalba

Dan "Liquidize" Deptula

Hudell

Sasuke KANNAZUKI

Karberus

SumRndmDde

Tor Damian Design / Galenmereth

Terrax

Orcomarcio

Yanfly Engine Plugins

Arp

Devidra

Demo available at http://causacreations.itch.io/path-out (PC, Mac / approx. 45 min.)

Last edited:

MercuryLegba

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
BUMP! Added some new screenshots and updated the short preview demo with some new map material.

NPX

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have to say that this looks absolutely fantastic! It's great to see relatable themes and real-world issues being represented in games. Furthermore, the abundance of custom assets makes this an even more refreshing offering.

Is there a battle system, or is this more of an adventure-based RPG? Personally, I think that having a battle system would cheapen it, as this appears to be about survival more than combat.

MercuryLegba

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have to say that this looks absolutely fantastic! It's great to see relatable themes and real-world issues being represented in games. Furthermore, the abundance of custom assets makes this an even more refreshing offering.

Is there a battle system, or is this more of an adventure-based RPG? Personally, I think that having a battle system would cheapen it, as this appears to be about survival more than combat.
Thanks for your kind feedback! We did try out some combat, but it simply didn't fit. Basically violence doesn't suit the character and a traditional RPG battle system would be ridiculous considering the depiction of an actual war. So it really is more of an adventure with tons of story, quests and some stealth action.

MercuryLegba

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Folks, we are working hard here to have a full demo ready for you by tomorrow (fingers crossed!). Here's a little treat in the meantime, our just finished demo trailer, fresh out of the oven. It's unlisted and the link to the download isn't active yet, but it should give you a good impression:

Last edited:

MercuryLegba

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
We just presented the game for the first time in the real world at Vienna's Reversed Festival. Still a long way too go, but at least we have a nice list of things to fix now. Next station: Demo Deluxe & getting the game on Steam, possibly in late October. Also, here's a quick glimpse how meta things can get, if you make autobiographical games. The actual hero, his banner and the game, all in one shot:

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Aww so good you are making it THIS big! :D

Mauri090

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@MercuryLegba

I just played through your Demo and I liked it! The music fits very well and you can feel the connection to reality while playing the game. The implemented video comments are well done and reinforce the fact that this game is based on a true story. I will stay tuned, keep up the good work!

Kindest regards,
Mauri

MercuryLegba

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Folks, a little while ago, we fixed a major problem that showed up for some MAC users with the save game. You can find the updated version on our itch.io page: http://causacreations.itch.io/path-out
We'll be pushing a major update in a few months, fixing the various bugs and updating the content.

MercuryLegba

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here's a brand new trailer, which also features a real life Abdullah! Also comes with the minor announcement, that very very soon we'll be coming to Steam. More exciting news? Yes! We have a new website: www.path-out.net

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
So touching... so personal! *really touched* Hope everything goes well in your life now and you and your significant ones are safe and all together and happy for a long long time!

MercuryLegba

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So touching... so personal! *really touched* Hope everything goes well in your life now and you and your significant ones are safe and all together and happy for a long long time!
Thanks a lot! Everyone is safe for now :) Hope to get further with the game to share the rest of the story ....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

tomorrow I'ma go on a cruise for the first time ever... lets hope I'll survive the experience!
Omg! 8 years in this forum :o
Ksi
Streaming the last of the RMN Valentiny event games so feel free to drop on by and watch me cry (whether that's from laughter, rage or sheer pain, who knows?)
Today I went to sleep without setting an alarm, so I could sleep more than 2 hours. I woke up after 2 hours.
Sigh :( ... displaying numbers representing the stats of the PCs for a custom menu in rm2k3 is haaaaaaaarrrd!!! DX

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevechtrs