Pathfinding problem with Shaz Mouse System

Discussion in 'RGSSx Script Support' started by Kes, Oct 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Started separately from the main thread, at the request of Shaz.

The basic issue is that on some (not all) maps, it is necessary to click to the left of the position/NPC that you want.

Points checked: this isn't related to scrolling of a parallax map.  The one I originally referred to was a parallax and I remade it using the editor and tiles.  The only difference between the 2 is the clutter on the table.  The map is also default size.  Remaking it as a tiled map made no difference.

This isn't on all maps, only some.  It isn't just NPCs or similar, it is also transfer events.  I can see no difference between events that 'work' and those that don't, having spent several hours testing out different maps.

Here are some screen shots.

The map taken from the editor to show the events

"> ">http://s1323.photobucket.com/user/ksjp17/media/Sampleevent02_zps0ebcbd49.png.html'>[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2013
  2. Mithran

Mithran Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    I've moved this thread to RGSSx Script Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

3. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Do you still have any loop horizontal/vertical settings on the map, even though it's the same size as the screen?

4. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    The Scroll Type in Map Properties is set to 'No Loop'

5. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You're certain tab 1 of that event is the one that's active?

Can you also provide a list of what other scripts you're using?

Or you could just load up your project so I can grab it and take a look - might need a bit of debugging to figure it out.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2013
  6. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    The sword event only has one tab, and for the General, I get the dialogue of tab 1 if I interact with the event using the arrow keys.

I've only ever sent the game around using Sendspace, which obviously won't do for here.  How would you like me to load it up for you to grab?  As it's a complete game (except the face artwork, still waiting for that), it's 208Mb

7. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You can just zip up the game folder and load it up somewhere. MegaUpload is still around, I think.

Make sure you set the starting point to the map that we're talking about (so I don't have to spend a long time searching). What's the map number & name?

8. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I don't think I was very clear about what I meant.  Because it's a complete game, I'm reluctant to put up a public link to the unencrypted game - and it would have to be unencrypted so that you could look at it.  So should I pm you with the link?

9. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    yes. Don't post the link here. I'll let you know as soon as I've got it, and you can remove the link.

Just make sure I can open up your files :)

10. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Sent you a pm - well, 2 actually, as I forgot to put some information in the first one.

11. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I believe the issue is because you have resized the screen to 640x416 pixels, have left some of your maps at the default size, or have not resized them correctly for the new screen size.

640x416 requires a map at least 20x13 tiles in size. The map we are discussing here is 17x15. Therefore, the script can't convert the position on the screen to the position on the map. I would guess that the other maps you're having troubles with also have a width of less than 20 tiles. If I change this map to be 20 pixels wide (640/32), the PC walks up to the sword and the NPC correctly. It still has the other problem identified earlier where you have to click again to interact with it.

I do not THINK the script is conflicting with any others, however I do wonder how you manage to get the parallax centered on the screen instead of in the top left corner, when it's also less than the 640 pixels across. If I can figure that out (or you can point me in the right direction) I MAY be able to adjust the mouse script to compensate. But I can't spend a lot of time trying to work it out.

12. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    That would explain why on some maps there are no problems - they are simply bigger than the default.  So presumably all I need to do is to resize those maps, and I'm good to go!  Thank you, thank you.

As for how the parallax is centred when it shouldn't be - all I can think is that because I have them with the note tag <tile lock parallax> using Yanfly's parallax script, that sorts it out without me having to do anything.

13. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't see anything in that script that would offset the parallax though. Maybe that's in the default script.

It's not as easy as just resizing the maps. If you resize that one to 20 pixels and play, you'll see the parallax wraps, so you can see the left side of the same room, on the right side. So you would need to either alter your parallax and make it the correct size too, or use a black/background tile to cover over the extra tiles that have been added to the map, so the parallax isn't visible when you play.

But that will make your map bunched up on the left side, with a big black border 3 tiles wide on the right. To fix THAT, so the black borders are on both sides, you would need to move all your events across and change any transfers going to that map. Quite messy.

14. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Yes, I realise that, and there are quite a number of these, but having done a quick experiment this does solve the problem.  If I want to give the player the choice of using a mouse (which I do), then I shall just have to knuckle down and do it.  Fortunately many maps are bigger than the default size, so it's not all of them that will need the treatment.

15. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.