Pay to use HTTP Processing script?

Discussion in 'Commercial Games Discussion' started by ??????, Jan 24, 2015.

?

How much would you pay to gain access to this script?

1. I have no need/want for such a thing!

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  2. I need/want but dont want to pay!

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  3. I would pay between 1-5 $ !

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  4. I would pay between 5-10 $ !

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  5. I would pay between 10-20 $ !

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  6. I would pay above 20 $ !

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  7. I would give you my soul and first born child !!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ??????

?????? Diabolical Codemaster Veteran

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    First off not sure if this is the right place for such a post, if not, I apologize.

Anyway,

I was recently thinking of all the threads regarding online features for this and that and it dawned on me...

I have HTTP Processing scripts, people want HTTP processing scripts.

This made me wonder... How much do people want HTTP processing scripts?  Would people be willing to pay for them 'from the start' (similar to some antilag type scripts I have seen for sale recently where you must pay before you gain access to the script) ??

Let me first be clear. By 'HTTP Processing' I mean a script which retains the ability to perform both GET and POST requests to a webserver.  This could be (and most likely would be) to some php file that may also interact with some database - like a MySQL database.  NOTE: I am not speaking about a script/system with full online features, nor a system with the ability to turn the users game client into a host for peer 2 peer games. (although, it could be enhanced for such features). 

An example of the kind of requests I mean is shown below...

#--------------------------------------------------------------------------- # Sends a get request to the pathname of host using 'Version.php' as the # file path.. For a simple 'version checker' php script, your code *could* # look similar to my example shown below; %Q[ # << NOT THIS PART // This code should be contained in a .php file // (eg. Version.php) on your active server. <?php echo "1.5"; ?> ] # << NOT THIS PART # This method simply returns the string that was generated via the 'echo' # within the php script code. #--------------------------------------------------------------------------- def version @version ||= get("Version.php") end #--------------------------------------------------------------------------- # Removed Documentation... #--------------------------------------------------------------------------- def update_available? version > last_version endWhoever using the script would still have to write whatever online features they wanted in their game. My script merely provides the ability to perform the processing of HTTP requests.

Finally, here is some documentation from the script...

#===============================================================================# ☆ Introduction#-------------------------------------------------------------------------------# This script creates the base for performing simple online features within # the RPG Maker VX Ace engine. # # Using this script you are able to perform :GET and :pOST HTTP requests from# within the maker - what you do with the reply data is upto you...# It can easily be interpreted and used to modify in game behavior in a huge# number of ways - such as player login features. # # Alone, this script does not bring any new cool features to the maker - other# than allowing the HTTP requests to be correctly processed of course. # # Providing you have sufficient experience writing code for ruby, you *should* # be able to get the hang of writing server based code languages (ie. SQL, PHP).# # This script provides a number of useful methods for the processing of HTTP# requests. The use of which can allow instant download of materials and# content for your game - these would obviously need a separate system to be# correctly loaded into the database... # DEK::patch for example can (and should be) used with this system to bring# the possibility of having an online patch detection && auto update system# within your project. (naturally, you would still have to code alot of it).# # NOTE: # I reiterate - this system DOES NOT perform any cool features that change# how a normal game is processed - IN ANY WAY. (no login title, no saving or # loading game data from servers, etc)# # So please do not ask if this script can do [x] feature like 'online battle # functionality'. # Instead, you should first ask yourself, can YOU code a battle system? # If not, then the answer is a definite No!# # If however you do feel you can code all relevant features within your system# providing the data can be transmitted to the game clients, then YES, it is# highly likely that the feature is possible. # Of course, you may wish to hire someone to write your 'cool systems'; however, # this would likely involve a rather 'handsome' fee. (just a heads up) # #=============================================================================== # METHOD INFO ::    #---------------------------------------------------------------------------    # ☆ HTTP::full_get_request(*args,&blk)    #---------------------------------------------------------------------------    # full_request(host,path)    # full_request(host,path,&blk)    # full_request(host,path,post)    # full_request(host,path,post,&blk)    # full_request(host,path,post,port)    # full_request(host,path,post,port,&blk)    # full_request(host,path,post,port,type)    # full_request(host,path,post,port,type,&blk)    # full_request(host,path,post,port,type,https)    # full_request(host,path,post,port,type,https,&blk)    # full_request(host,path,post,port,type,https,async)    # full_request(host,path,post,port,type,https,async,&blk)    #    # This method performs a FULL request. This includes the initial opening    # of the session, making the request, interpreting the reply, ending the    # request && connection then closing the request, connection && session.    #    # After this, it calls the 'blk' if given. This can be used to processes a    # Proc object and subsequently, process the reply as you please (use of a    # block also allows the reply to be modified before it is returned)    #    # Finally, it returns the reply data in the state it is in. (ie, if you    # have changed it somehow in your block, the changes will be visible within    # the data returned from this method.    #    # The only two required arguments are the host and path. The remaining args    # all have default values associated with them.    #    # 'post'  = the data to be processed by your php scripts/server.    # 'port'  = the connection port.    # 'type'  = the request type, can be :GET or :pOST    # 'https' = boolean to determine if HTTP or HTTPS will be used.    # 'async' = boolean to determine if the session will attempt to process    #           within asyncronous mode.  This has shown to cause errors    #           when used at times the game cannot correctly update.    #    # By default 'post' is an empty string, 'port' is 80, 'type' is :GET    # and https && async are false.    #    #--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Uhh... so yea, thoughts and what not ??

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2015
  2. Kyuukon

Kyuukon 主人公 Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Something like this would be very useful for checking that the user is on the latest version of the game (which is very important I'd say), and, maybe receive some indirect feedback. Very interesting.

I like it but c'mon, make it free. There are tons of great free scripts and games out there xD! You could always set up donations :)

3. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    lmao, Donations...

In the three years I have offered a donations policy, I have received a total of $0 donations.

I am fairly confident in saying "if I released it for free, no one would donate a dime". :)

Engr. Adiktuzmiko likes this.
  4. gRaViJa

gRaViJa Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    If I need it, i'd be okay with buying it. Can you for example make a global highscore system with this?

?????? likes this.
  5. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I think you would not be out of your mind to ask the same price this 'certain anti-lag script' asks. That's my thought on it.

?????? likes this.
  6. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes, this kind of feature is VERY EASY to implement. 

Lets say you have some minigame in your game for catching chickens (or some other junk) ~ when the time runs out, the variable value (storing number of captures chickens) can be sent to a php file for processing (probably along with the players name). There are a few different ways to implement highscores and some of them dont require the use of an SQL database, meaning it can all be stores in the same php file (however, it would be best to use SQL where possible to reduce delays when processing) 

EDIT:

I could probably make a simple example for such a feature to supply with the scripts. (including the sql database and php code) :)

gRaViJa likes this.
  7. Neon Black

Neon Black The Classy Prostitute Member

First Language:
    Sarcasm
    If you can get it to post to pastebin you already have a sale. I wasted 36 hours trying to do this and am fairly certain it's a pastebin side issue.

?????? likes this.
  8. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You mean send a post request to pastebin?

Do you have any example code that you could send me for your attempts and i will see what it can do. :)

It may depend on what your trying to post, I'm pretty sure there is some kinda restriction on data above 1024 bytes in size. (when not oing an asyncronous request)

Edit:

Oh, pastebin api has good doc...

http://pastebin.com/api/api_post.php

Ill see what i can do. :)

Edit 2:

It can certainly do GET requests from pastebin.

HTTP::full_get("www.pastebin.com","/raw.php","i=Mr1utA9r")
    For post requests I keep getting told 'Bad API request, invalid api_option', yet I've set the options as specified in their doc :/

9. Hudell

Hudell Dog Lord Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh, I was also planning on doing something like this. As I said on another thread, I've got GET operations working and should get POST operations too after I complete some higher priority requests.

If there's any interest on it, I may even consider the possibility of doing more than the actual connectivity part, creating a full system to develop mmo games on it.

?????? likes this.
  10. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think it depends on what exactly you offer.

If you help in configuring for specific functions (like the highscore or other simple systems) and provide the PHP-files for the websites as part of the package, you'll probably be able to charge 20$ or more without problems.

Only the script itself without such help is worth a lot less in my opinion, because configuring the website for it is not something the casual RM-user can do.

AlliedG and Tsukihime like this.
  11. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've moved this thread to Commercial RPG Maker Discussion (because you're talking about asking people to pay for something). Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Such a script would be useful if you had a need to communicate with a server, whether it be for an online game or just keeping a leaderboard or something. Maybe for validation of users.

However, you would not be allowed to sell such a script here, unless you did it through the official store (talk with Lunarea about that). We allow commissions of one-off for individual games, not for bulk sales of the same thing to many buyers, as that would put you in direct competition with the store.

Just keep that in mind when you're planning ;)

?????? likes this.
  12. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I would be more than willing to write up a simple system for storing an online highscore system to distribute with the 'kit'. But with regards to 'other simple systems', those would likely be treated as addons.  (like my online logic system which is close to being complete - full saving and loading data from an SQL database, that (to commission) would cost an absolute fortune, so I personally wouldnt be willing to supply such a thing for so little ~ unless i knew hundreds/thousads of folk would buy it cause of that alone (which is rather unlikely) :p

I will do, thanks for the heads up. :)

Thing about the store is, not sure it would generate enough interest for it to be deemed a viable product. :'(

Like, if it had all the fancy extra's then yea, I could maybe see it happening, but for just allowing dev's access to the features - not sure.  (guess i could always pm and raise inquiry) :D

13. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    That certain "anti-lag" script is plug and play, so it could get popular easily... I put it in brackets since it's actually more than that. Anyway, for something like this, if you're really gonna sell it, better put a disclaimer that the user still needs to know how to actually use it and set-up things and such. Because someone might buy it thinking that it's plug and play or very easy to apply then finds out that it's not and might spread negativity towards the script. 

IMHO, I won't buy it unless I have plans for some online based features. Plus I still have to study how to actually handle it. XD

14. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yea, I was planing - if selling - to give a crap ton of information on what it does and doesn't do, and what the user would be required to do/know in order to use it fully. :)

Tha last thing I would want is for someone to get the wrong idea and then be pissed off when they didnt have an instant MMORPG *chuckles*

Engr. Adiktuzmiko likes this.
  15. Neon Black

Neon Black The Classy Prostitute Member

First Language:
    Sarcasm
    I could already do GET requests, or just grab a raw pastebin file, so there was no problem there.  I was also able to get the "Bad API request, invalid api_option" to appear, so it's either something on their end or something so small and nitpicky on our end it would take forever to find.  It would have been the few lines for POST I would have been buying it for and I would have been okay with paying a few bucks because I know how to use it, but if you've run into the same problem it means I've probably got about the same amount of working script as you most likely for what I want.  To clarify though, I WILL NOT BE SHARING MINE so you'll have to pay Dekita here.  Not taking any of your potential business and don't want to share something cool I can do. :p

But yeah, the person who purchases it will need to kinda know what they're doing with it to get it working in any case.  I wish you luck!

?????? likes this.
  16. whitesphere

whitesphere Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Maybe if you made an "HTTP Connectivity Pack" which includes some boilerplate packages (i.e. high score table and other easy to implement packages) which use your HTTP script.  Said boilerplate packages would include some back-end SQL and PHP examples that run on MySQL.

Maybe that complete pack would sell more copies, because, for more casual users, it is a lot closer to plug and play, assuming they drop the appropriate pieces on the back end.  So it's more "Tweak these areas of the script, upload these pieces to a server, and it'll work."

17. Tsukihime

Tsukihime Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I use rest-client for all of my HTTP needs when it comes to Ruby and I would like one that supports the common stuff I use

-GET/POST/HEAD requests (might as well throw in PUT and DELETE because REST)

-support for specifying request headers

-easy way to send requests and get responses. I mean, really easy. I don't want to deal with sockets or hosts or ports or whatever. The last time I did that was in school and I'm spoiled by REST libraries that do this all for me (well, things like Rails or Django, I'd be even more spoiled)

require 'rest-client'resp = RestClient.post("example.com/request.php", "someData", ... )# do something with responseThough, async would be cool. I haven't tried making asynchronous requests in ruby yet on my own since I've never had a need to for the kind of things I do.As a programmer I would pay $50 for something like the REST client I use, if it works with RPG Maker.

If I were not a programmer...well, it probably wouldn't do anything for me if I didn't have a scripter on my team.

Hudell likes this.
  18. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    The dream of the people. *chuckles*

19. gRaViJa

gRaViJa Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Definitly interested in buying this! Personally i think a price around 10$ would be good, if it's higher, some people might not buy it because it's too expensive. Or maybe release a simple version (for highscores and the like) and a more advanced system for game updates etc.?

(I do use rmxp, but i don't think the code will have to be adapted much for basic things like highscores?)

20. ??????

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Neon Black - I emailed pastebin about it, showed them the post string I was passing through and all they could say was 'make sure its a POST request', as though I'm some kinda epic moron. I mean, I do have my moments, but c'mon... :/

If they get back to me with some info thats actually helpful, I'll let ya now :)

@whitesphere - yea, obviously the more it does, the more appeal it would have, but at the same time, it would also take a lot more time to setup. :(

But yea, I did plan to include some basic examples on things that can be done. probably a simple highscore system and maybe another one or two small things. :)

@Tsukihime - Never heard of REST before, reading over the doc now and it seems pretty cool :)

I fail to get the point of having a proc that runs before the request. Why not just call your proc before you make the request?  I implemented procs that trigger when the reply has been returned. :p

Currently, it only supports GET && POST, but I will investigate about the others too.  I was actually planning to begin study of those someday, just not had a need for any of them before. :D

Currently, the request headers are given automatically.  What would be your ideal method for selecting the headers?

Here is an example of using a post from my system:

reply = HTTP::full_post("www.example.com","/request.php","user=#{name}&pass#{word}")#do crap with reply data... As you can see, it can be used fairly simply. :)

Or you could get a little more 'crazy'...

host = "www.example.com"path = "/request.php"post = "user=#{name}&pass=#{word}"port = nil # will use 80 as default when nil is passedtype = :pOSThtps = falsesync = falseproc = Proc.new do |request_reply_data| if request_reply_data == "FAIL" raise "HTTP FAILURE #{request_reply_data}" else request_reply_data.split(";") endendHTTP::full_request(host,past,post,port,type,htps,sync,&proc)Edit:

Alternative block passing...

host = "www.example.com"path = "/request.php"post = "user=#{name}&pass=#{word}"port = nil # will use 80 as default when nil is passedtype = :pOSThtps = falsesync = falseHTTP::full_request(host,past,post,port,type,htps,sync) do |request_reply_data| if request_reply_data == "FAIL" raise "HTTP FAILURE #{request_reply_data}" else request_reply_data.split(";") endendAnd yea, unfortunately, I recently had a crash when using async (trying to get data at the initial startup of the game, when updates weren't being processed correctly) - but that was the first time I have encountered that.  Currently investigating it in more depth :D

@gRaViJa - having a simple 'base version' and an addon for an auto update and patching system would certainly be a possibility.  These are things I already have setup in my own projects :p

Not sure about how it would work in rmxp though.  Ive literally, never wrote code for such a dinosaur, so not sure if all the methods i use in the core script would be available within the earlier RGSS versions.  :p