Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't care who makes a game, whether they're indie or not, how many people worked on it, how long it took, or how much money they spent.  If I enjoy a demo, I will buy the game if it is within my budget for that pay period, and if I consider it a "reasonable" price (ie - is the price a good tradeoff for the amount of time and enjoyment I will get out of it?).  I don't mind a few in-app purchases for free mobile games - if I enjoy playing them, the people who made them deserve a bit of compensation.  I've probably spent close to $200, if not more, on a mobile game my son loves playing, because I consider it value for money.

Helladen

Deviant Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
So by your definition indies are the cheap knock-off brand and if you're selling on name recognition then you're not indie no matter how many people or how much money goes into it?

My definition is if you make the game with the input of a publisher then you're not indie, everything else is indie.  But I don't really treat indie and non-indie any differently, if it's good I'll pay lots, if it's only okay I don't want to pay much, if it's bad I don't want to pay.  End of story.

Most indies are - the rare ones that do extremely well are usually less than 20 dollars too and are usually original works of art. They make a lot more money by selling their game that way. Consumers buy it more often. Companies rely on a fanbase of customers who pay 60 dollars when it comes out (games sell the most in the first week). Typically, you build up hype so people will buy it outright. This is how you properly sell a video game, as long as you don't over hype the game and go lower than their expectations.

Indies typically are looked as those without a publisher - they pay for it out of pocket or from savings of their last games that they did. It typically is a small company or organization of people.

Mobile games are a different market - they cost so much more cause of iAP. These models are not comparable to buying a full game. Mobile games are cash grabs. and I always look at them as the most unethical games to ever exist.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigToastie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
To me, it just needs to have aspects of re-playability, it has to be polished and well though out story (also very well balanced), having a huge list of features isn't a selling point if half of them are buggy.

The main thing is releasing a finished game, no bugs :)

I am working on a game at the moment (my first plan for release game), and I plan to just give it for free (all the credited people will get it earlier to see what they think) and people can see what they like/dislike about my game design style (and relay it back to me).

This way I know what I would need to improve on in my next game, and if i were to sell it, people would know "oh this guy created that game and it was awesome!"

To me, since it's a hobby, just seeing people enjoy a game I have created is enough :)

Makio-Kuta

Canadian Goose
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Someone once told me "Price your game a bit higher than you'd want it to sell at" since you're going to be making MOST of your sales when it is on discount, and then the discount will be a bit closer than the price you think it would be worth.

That said, I haven't bought any RPGmaker games outside of ones from bundles and such. So far, none of the ones out there really match what appeals to me - all my favourite devs haven't gone commercial yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Just imagine, MZ got released while still on summer sale and they decided to discount their game. lol.
Now that I found an accessible composing software, all the melodies that only lived inside my head so far can come to life. I LOVE this.
Akemi14 wrote on Archeia's profile.
I'm sorry about my mistake of not messaging you about posting in Games in Development Rules and Guidelines. I'm still new on this forum but using RPG Maker for 3 years. Well it is in English language. Well, I just want to explained about the game and show them the demo. I promised, there is no inappropriate contain because I don't like that. What should I do?
Magic numbers are the devil.
So I was explaining to someone today that Magic (the Gathering) has advertised itself as a Trading Card Game (TCG) and a Collectable Card Game (CCG), but never a playing card game. Playing cards are what they use for stuff like Poker or Black Jack. So by playing Magic with the cards, they were in fact doing it wrong, and me trading the cards is a correct usage. :popcorn:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
uoxaufwu