TruBeast

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey guys,

Sorry if this is a simple thing but I am super new to RPG Maker so any help is greatly appreciated.

I'm working on a concept in my game where as players level up the wi receive a non activatable ability but something which will give them a passive buff. I THINK if I fumble around a bit I should be able to work out how to do this (although if anyone could easily point me in the right direction that would be awesome :) ).

The tricky part (I think) is when the player levels up/gains this ability I want them to be given a choice on what buff they get...

For example:

Let's say John reaches Lvl 5 and gains ability E. I want a pop up to show saying something along the lines of:

"John has gained ability E.
Please assign which attribute you would like E to improve"

HP+10
MP+10
Luck+5

When John picks, ofcourse I then want E to modify his stats based on what was chosen. Is this doable?

Now, if it is (and I know this might be pushing it too far) if John changes his mind about his choice, I want him to be able to change what he has picked BUT at a cost.

Example:

John picks HP+10 but soon in the game realises he probably should have picked MP+10.

He goes to the ability, picks an option that says change attribute selection and chooses MP+10 instead. He will then be prompted with a message
"Are you sure you would like to change the attribute of this ability, it will cost you 200G" if he clicks yes, obviously loose 200G and ability changes. If no then all stays as is.

I hope that is all clear enough to follow and doable - any help would be greatly appreciated- thanks guys!

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@TruBeast 'Game Mechanics Design' is for looking at aspects of game play at a more conceptual level. "How do I...?" (implementation) questions belong in the Support forum for the engine you are using.

According to the information under your avatar, you are using VX. I am assuming that this is an error on your part and that you mean VX Ace, as virtually no one buys VX these days as it was completely superseded by A

I am, therefore, moving this to RPG Maker VX Ace support forum. If in fact you are using VX, please report this post and ask for it to be moved.

TruBeast

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey Kes,

Awesome thanks for the reply and sorry for the trouble. Ah - your right, my bad. I am actually using version MV... should I be using VX? Also, does that mean the post will need to moved again?

Thanks again for your help and sorry for the trouble!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@TruBeast yes, it needs to be moved again and you should go into your profile and change your primary use to MV.
That is a very important difference because VX/VXA and MV use different scripting languages.

Additionally, most likely this needs to be moved to plugin requests instead of MV support.
If you wish only for the selection, that would be simple to do in events and remain in MV support. The ability to go back and change the selection at a latr time is something entirely else, because that requires the ability to be stored differently.
Theoretically it might be doabe with a lo of variables and complex events, but that is on a level where a dedicated plugin is much easier to write and handle.

Decide if that is important for you and then report this topic to be moved to either MV support (for an evented solution) or to plugin request (for a plugin). In case of a plugin you might want to give a bit more on details.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

I've moved this thread to RPGMaker MV. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

TruBeast

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@TruBeast yes, it needs to be moved again and you should go into your profile and change your primary use to MV.
That is a very important difference because VX/VXA and MV use different scripting languages.

Additionally, most likely this needs to be moved to plugin requests instead of MV support.
If you wish only for the selection, that would be simple to do in events and remain in MV support. The ability to go back and change the selection at a latr time is something entirely else, because that requires the ability to be stored differently.
Theoretically it might be doabe with a lo of variables and complex events, but that is on a level where a dedicated plugin is much easier to write and handle.

Decide if that is important for you and then report this topic to be moved to either MV support (for an evented solution) or to plugin request (for a plugin). In case of a plugin you might want to give a bit more on details.

Thanks again Andar :).

I have changed my profile to show MV now and will make sure I pay more atte tion to where I'm posting next time - sorry for being a pain.

In regards to my quirie, I guess it would be great for now if they can just choose the desired attribute and then at a later date when I am more confident in MV I can come back and work on the plugin with the forums help.

Is this something you can help me with at all?

Thanks again!

Latest Profile Posts

Tarzanthecat wrote on hiddenone's profile.
THANK YOU SO MUCH HIDDENONE ADSKFSJDFSKDF
Another unscheduled stream for Lightestone~ this time because we hit affiliate! Aaaahh- So other than the game we're also going to work on emotes/badges/etc!

www.twitch.tv/riazey
Is it necroposting if I ask for more info in my own months old thread? All the information in the thread is relevant
JRPG TextBox HTML - Part 2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lark_Larkington