atasuke10

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
" To XXXX, no offense, your game looks decent enough and I can see you've put more effort into it than many RPG-Maker projects, but it is an RPG-Maker project.

Even more than Unreal and Unity, I personally feel that making something in RPG Maker and then putting it up on a professional storefront is like selling microwaved pizza pockets and claiming you're a restaurant.

It's fine to use something like RPG maker to learn and grow your skills, put forth some projects for a portfolio as you walk the path of becoming a true game developer, but they are themselves not on the same level as hand-crafted games you actually coded your own engine and framework for. Great to post on free game sites like Itch.io, but not the sort of thing to put forth as a game on Steam. Again, it looks good and shows talent, but I never upvote RPG-Maker, Unity Asset Flips, or Mobile Ports. Them's my rules I live by"

How do you bypass this bias? 

Last edited by a moderator:

Niten Ichi Ryu

Grey Lords Emissary
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ignore them.

You will always find haters, elitists or simply dickheads who think RPG maker isn't worth using professionally.

Either he is a guy coding himself his engine, making his graphics and all, and then well if you use RM you will never pass his bias, either is a jealous prick that will never do anything for himself, and base his advice on what he read on game making websites.

It reminds me of the pricks that expect great service, but say they will never tip more than 5 buck by principles (as you may guess, I was a waiter and dealt with a lot of idiots like this). let him drown in his arrogance, and keep the chin up for you completed a game. take the positive from his comment, recognizing that your game shows talent, but don't let yourself taken down by his snarky comment about RM.

Ms Littlefish

Dangerously Caffeinated
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It depends how much you actually care about that person's business. But, personally. They aren't part of your target audience. You identify what part of the market your game is going to be played by, and that's who you market to and work with.

atasuke10

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks for both the replies, you guys are right. to be honest it got me down a little to read that comment even if it wasn't a comment directed at me.
Just that people can't see past their own arrogance like that, but what you guys said, I shouldn't care about the hate since i wouldn't be targeting them anyway  :D  thanks.

Ghost of Christmas Kloe

The Icecream Princess
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I would say "You're wrong... Working hundreds to thousands of hours on any type of project, is worth it. It doesn't matter if you use common resources, it's how fun the end product is, who cares if the same bricks are used to make a simple wall, to a palace, because you used the same bricks doesn't mean the palace isn't awesome, and you can simply paint over and add decorations!"

atasuke10

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Couldn't of said it any better. People should just link to your post whenever someone says something similar to the example in the OP.

I may just do that :p  I just don't understand how someone with a decently open mind (if he has that) can call a game automatically bad based on the engine it was made with.
It's like calling a book crap based on the paper it was printed on.

Seriel

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Yeah my brother has this attitude.

I may link him this topic someday :3

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
people who think that rpg maker game aren't true pro in engine making lol I mean I can see even more crappy game made with engine than rpg maker c: 

and you will be surprise how much people can praise rpg maker such pewdiepie that who praise rpg maker a lots or Markiplier.

people who bash rpg maker is because they are either to much noob for use it 

or either the people who's like : I CAN'T MAKE A 3D FPS IN IT DUUHH IT'S SUCK!

this my own opinion though xD

SamJones

Autorun
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Don't worry about it. You get those "if you don't do everything by yourself your work is worth bugger all" noisemakers in every community.

Euphony

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
"I never upvote RPG-Maker, Unity Asset Flips, or Mobile Ports. Them's my rules I live by."

A statement like that is all you need to realize the person in question is a pompous, close-minded buttface. This person never ever does something as simple as pressing an upvote button without any exception whatsoever, they're that ingrained in their views? Sheesh. Yeah, don't worry about their opinion too much. They aren't your target audience.

AwesomeCool

Bratty and spoiled little sister
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
You cannot bypass bias.  People will only listen if they want to (hence why there are so few internet arguments that do not degrade into circular reasoning).

Best bet is to ignore them and not to even bother to give them any attention.  If you do give them attention, it will just make you frustrated and nothing else will be different, especially since they are obviously going out of there way to try and stir up emotion to deal with there daily stress (they would just search for a different game that they would enjoy otherwise).

It is sad that there are so many people that take out all of there stress on others through the anonymity of the internet, but it is what it is.

DanPixel

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Trolls are trolls and will remained trolls forever. You can't change these types of persons views on Rpg Maker, there are people who like RM games and those who don't - similar to Coffee and Tea, people will tell you coffee is the best and tea is the worst and vice-versa. So, don't let their negativities affect you. Keep your mind strong, after all you are obliged to have a strong mind as a developer to prevent these types of comments affect your judgement. As long as you know you are developing something worth your time which will be fun to play, then just ignore them. Moreover, make a great game to make their mouths shut!

Kilgore Trout

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
He's so hardcore even Unity and Unreal engine games aren't good enough for him! 

Here's what happened: this true developer has a "hand-crafted" game languishing in obscurity somewhere on Steam while games like yours are getting more attention.

metronome

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (Sure!)
Primarily Uses
Well, there is nothing you can do about that guy, and you have no choice but to ignore that guy (in the end).

Answering someone like him is like feeding yourself to a troll, don't do that.

atasuke10

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
He's so hardcore even Unity and Unreal engine games aren't good enough for him! 

Here's what happened: this true developer has a "hand-crafted" game languishing in obscurity somewhere on Steam while games like yours are getting more attention.

:DDDD How sad would that be.

taarna23

Marshmallow Princess
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yup, I wouldn't worry about it. These tools exist because people don't want to reinvent the wheel when they don't have to. If you're ever feeling like maybe RPG Maker isn't the way to go for an RPG just because some people are biased against it, feel free to do the following, as I did:

• Determine what you need to create programmatically

A movement system
  • An inventory system
  • A menu system
  • A battle system - including the menus, damage and animation handling it entails
  • Collision handling
  • Probably a ton of things I haven't thought of yet

[*]Determine what assets you need

• Music
  • Characters
  • Monsters
  • Animations
  • Enemies
  • Probably a ton of things I haven't thought of yet

Yeah, nuts to reinventing that set of wheels, I'm going to go use the system that exists and tweak as needed. Haters gonna hate.

Edit: Does this dude even have a game on Steam at all? These nice people came to my school while I was in college and the big thing they said? Ideas are worthless. Everyone has an idea. Get your idea made and ship it.

Joewoof

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Seems like every serious RPGM developer goes through something like this on Steam at one point or the other. I've been told to ignore hate comments, and it's really the best way.

AwesomeCool

Bratty and spoiled little sister
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Joewoof - every developer goes through this.

Actually, everyone who creates anything will go through this.

If people agree/like your idea, there will be those that don't.

And for every person expressing there love for your product there will be 3 times more jealous/bored/stressed-out haters.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

After the initial success with one event, I set up four different events on the same map to detect who is in which slot in my current party, and fortunately it managed to work as intended, with the events changing image to match the party members even as I swapped their positions around in formation. This will be a great tool for immersive scene design.
Finally finished the first hand-drawn map! It took me a week, but I'm so proud!
Actual line of code I just had to write for a plugin:

return Object.keys(this._shopStock).map(key => key.split(",")).map(element => element.map(value => Number(value))).filter(key => key[0] === mapId && key[1] === eventId);

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vance11k