People like this...

Discussion in 'Commercial Games Discussion' started by atasuke10, Apr 18, 2016.

1. phoenix_rossy

phoenix_rossy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English

I've published games made in a variety of engines, from store-bought to custom, and the reception from the gaming community is largely the same: some people love it, some people hate it. Everyone has their preference, and thanks to the anonymity/lack of consequence of hating on people on the internet, people tend to be very vocal about their opinion.

Brush it off, find your niche, keep on making awesome games.

Tsukihime, Marsigne and Matseb2611 like this.
  2. JessieK

JessieK Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    A good way to bypass this bias if you really want to is to create your own assets, you'd be amazed how many people don't notice its an RPG maker game when you use original assets.

People right now are super against using assets for some odd reason, so that's why there is this bias you see (And why unity and unreal are starting to get the same bias)

People assume "They used assets so they didn't put any effort in" which we all know is wrong but that is the mindset a lot of people on steam/other gaming websites have right now.

But as most people have said, just ignore it, likelihood is they have no interest in the game anyway and just want a reason to try and bash it without seeming too rude

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2016
  3. astracat111

astracat111 Astra Cat Veteran

First Language:
    English

Exaaactly my sentiments here. Another thing is, one would be surprised at how much easier it is to create original assets than what's typically assumed. Photoshop, a short study of coloring and animation/some youtube vids? Or just use placeholders and then find someone on Deviantart. It's not impossible. 

I would actually say that our entire society is first impression focused, and the first impression is the visuals. You HAVE to have good original visuals on a market of any kind, hell even if you're selling chocolate or something, but again this is more possible than most think.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2016
    Tome571 likes this.
  4. terrorchan

terrorchan Literally a Gloop Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This is one of the main reasons why I'm doing everything in my power to make my game look like it was made in anything other than RPG Maker  :guffaw:

5. JessieK

JessieK Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English

That's a very good point actually, a lot of people will see low quality visual on anything (Tv, animation, advertising) and instantly dismiss the product as cheap or not worth actually paying attention to, and in our modern society where there is so much on offer all of the time to entertain people we have to do what we can to grab peoples attention, even if that's as simple as a pretty loading screen or front cover.

astracat111 likes this.
  6. astracat111

First Language:
    English

Yes, and I would also highly recommend that anyone creating an rpg maker game create a cover photo. If someone is serious enough to invest a little bit of money, there are people on deviantart that will do one for literally like $50 (although that's grossly underpaid, that's what many people are willing to work for ; / ). I've seen radioplay projects in the past that voice actors have flocked to because of a good cover photo and a well organized presentation.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2016
  7. JessieK

JessieK Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English

As an artist myself...please don't charge like 50 dollars and expect the highest quality cause 50 dollars really isn't much.

astracat111 likes this.
  8. astracat111

First Language:
    English

Agreed, not for a professional piece of artwork for sure.

9. Soulnet

Soulnet Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This is a very interesting conversation cause i'm not going to use that many unique assets but hopefully want to blow people away by story and a unique way to play a trading game. I'm also tempted to remove every aspect of combat (it seems to get in the way of my story and my game has a feel of a sandbox anyway)!

Having had a thought about the op, i'm thinking to use that as my opening line and then explain how it's different from anything else made with rpgmaker. I'm hoping my graphics will be 'pretty' enough but it was never going to be my selling point.

RPG maker is so customisable these days that perhaps it's beyond RPG these days. Maybe that's the issue?

I dream of the day someone will be critical of my work. At least that meant someone would have played my game! LOL

10. mardin

mardin "...pretty please?" Veteran

First Language:
    German

This comment is so incredible stupid that it makes me angry and sad. Some people just have a serious lack of empathy! This is like "I kind of really like you, but you come from downtown, so we will never be friends. Them's my rules I live by"

Like others in this thread already said: These people will never be your targeted audience...and I would be dayum glad that they are not!

Guardcraft Games and Matseb2611 like this.