Diego2112

The Gaming Gamer Who Games
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Check the main page of the contest, the another admin said it will perform everything even the prize. Hooray!
I don't follow you on this, could you please clarify?

Zorax87

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm guessing around that, yeah.

Still, I'm TRYING, DAMMIT! 
And as I say that, the other two submissions I had suspicions on started to rise in response to being knocked back to second and third.

Honestly? I'm not going to hide their idiocy any longer; I'm struggling to see how the Vikings Attack game got such support (despite largely being slated on the forums for hardly working with a terrible user interface) or how Hellmut seems to have periodic spurts of votes whenever they get knocked back into second in a very condensed amount of time.

Diego2112

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
And as I say that, the other two submissions I had suspicions on started to rise in response to being knocked back to second and third.

Honestly? I'm not going to hide their idiocy any longer; I'm struggling to see how the Vikings Attack game got such support (despite largely being slated on the forums for hardly working with a terrible user interface) or how Hellmut seems to have periodic spurts of votes whenever they get knocked back into second in a very condensed amount of time.
It's downright crazy at this point.  I honestly and TRUTHFULLY thought that I had a shot at this.  I still do-I mean, I THINK I'm top ten still...  But seriously, this is like playing Halo 3 SWAT 1v8 with an ENTIRE TEAM of AimBots with Overshields (the 1v8 thing is not possible, but the rest is)!

EternalShadow

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
They need to do that earlier than late. There's no meaning if they did that on the final day of the contest because others already lost their chances and the section will be under chaos by the angry spammer. Better faster than later to make fair contest.
Maybe not the last day, but when the judges actually get around to looking at the game. 

Deckiller

Phoenix
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Unfortunately there will always be growing pains when something this large is attempted for the first time, but as someone already noted in a post, our webmaster will be screening out as many of the bad votes as possible.

Anyway, back to screening entries for me :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Diego2112

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Unfortunately there will always be growing pains when something this large is attempted for the first time, but as someone already noted in a post, our webmaster will be screening out as many of the bad votes as possible.

Anyway, back to screening entries for me :)
And suddenly, I feel I've a horse in the race again!  *Does a happy dance, then realizes people are watching, and that his dancing sucks.*

dinkledaberry

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Olde Englishe
Primarily Uses
So did that guy that made Dalruan spend the whole month making fake accounts or what? It's kind of a shame.

Zorax87

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I do hope that if he's foolish enough to upvote himself 100 times in half an hour, he's foolish enough to use the same IP address to do so.

Diego2112

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I do hope that if he's foolish enough to upvote himself 100 times in half an hour, he's foolish enough to use the same IP address to do so.
"You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day."  I can't like this post, mate!  But seriously, here's ALL TEH LIKES, EVER.  Because DAMN SKIPPY, that's RIGHT!

Penya

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
Hi I'm one of the developers of Hellmut, I just read this whole thread and I want to say something.

Our team is composed of 7 people that have full time jobs, we did our game on weekends exclusively (except modeling), so obviously the game has low quality and lack of polish in a lot of aspects. I know what's wrong with it better than anyone, believe me. And I know it probably doesn't stand a chance to win when judging time comes because it has several bugs, details, yadayada... my game is not perfect and I know it.

That being said, we are not cheating in the voting, 2 of our members attend to an animation school which agreed to promote our game on their facebook site with over (14000 followers) that gave us a huge advantage upfront and we managed to make the top 3, which put us in the front page, and that gave us enough exposure to keep gaining votes. Also we are 7 guys each with friends, families, girlfriends/boyfriends that are supporting us (and telling their respective families also).

So please stop spreading lies and overly criticizing our game because of the number of votes we have. I assure you we are not cheating, it's all word of mouth (yes, maybe among our families and friends) but as far as I'm concerned it's fair game to tell your relatives to vote for something you did. After all they are our families, and they are proud of us even if it's not the greatest game out there so naturally they want to support us.

Finally, thanks for trying the game even if you didn't like it that much. It means a lot to us.

TL;DR: We are not cheaters, we just lucked out at the beginning and have supportive relatives.

kartersaint

Ornate Brain
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English?
Primarily Uses
*Leave the thread before something big happened*

Zorax87

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi I'm one of the developers of Hellmut, I just read this whole thread and I want to say something.

Our team is composed of 7 people that have full time jobs, we did our game on weekends exclusively (except modeling), so obviously the game has low quality and lack of polish in a lot of aspects. I know what's wrong with it better than anyone, believe me. And I know it probably doesn't stand a chance to win when judging time comes because it has several bugs, details, yadayada... my game is not perfect and I know it.

That being said, we are not cheating in the voting, 2 of our members attend to an animation school which agreed to promote our game on their facebook site with over (14000 followers) that gave us a huge advantage upfront and we managed to make the top 3, which put us in the front page, and that gave us enough exposure to keep gaining votes. Also we are 7 guys each with friends, families, girlfriends/boyfriends that are supporting us (and telling their respective families also).

So please stop spreading lies and overly criticizing our game because of the number of votes we have. I assure you we are not cheating, it's all word of mouth (yes, maybe among our families and friends) but as far as I'm concerned it's fair game to tell your relatives to vote for something you did. After all they are our families, and they are proud of us even if it's not the greatest game out there so naturally they want to support us.

Finally, thanks for trying the game even if you didn't like it that much. It means a lot to us.

TL;DR: We are not cheaters, we just lucked out at the beginning and have supportive relatives.
I feel it's rather disappointing that some teams have turned this into a popularity contest, and have had to utilize such low methods to gain an advantage over the indie studios and solo developers who've actually built something special, and still receive no recognition. The fact you admit that you're in the lead (if we ignore the blatant cheating of Dalruan) is not because of talent or game development but simple luck confirms the fact.

It still remains rather strange that your title gets periodic boosts of votes whenever it dips into second place. Perhaps the only exception is now, and considering there's an administrator checking the votes stringently, that's no surprise.

Penya

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
I feel it's rather disappointing that some teams have turned this into a popularity contest, and have had to utilize such low methods to gain an advantage over the indie studios and solo developers who've actually built something special, and still receive no recognition. The fact you admit that you're in the lead (if we ignore the blatant cheating of Dalruan) is not because of talent or game development but simple luck confirms the fact.

It still remains rather strange that your title gets periodic boosts of votes whenever it dips into second place. Perhaps the only exception is now, and considering there's an administrator checking the votes stringently, that's no surprise.
Please stop implying that we are cheating, I just explained the whole thing. Of course we pester more people to vote when we see that we fall behind, but you can't really blame us for that. That's not against the rules, and I'm sure everyone even remotely interested in winning the People's Choice does it... eventually we will run out of people to pester, and we will fall behind for good but untill that time comes we will keep trying.

Zorax87

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Please stop implying that we are cheating, I just explained the whole thing.
You explained that your entry is only on top because you have a rather advantageous set of contacts, thereby reducing the People's Choice contest to The Person With The Most Contacts contest. It also fails to explain a few anomalies people have noticed on the forums. You're literally packing the website with people through dubious methods to win a prize that perhaps is deserved more by other entries. I think that's borderline cheating.

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I don't see an issue with that.

It's marketing and advertising. Game development doesn't end with the production of a game.

It's what sets the successful people apart: those that put effort into spreading the word and convincing others to support them will be the ones that win in the end.

I'm sure people can name plenty of games that are "overrated" but have been played by millions of people around the world. It isn't luck that results in this phenomenon.

Some people happen to have lots and lots of contacts, but if you're not going to use whatever resources you have to your fullest extent, then you're just passing up potential.

Sure, it isn't necessarily "fair" for those that don't have the contacts, but then there are people that don't even think about it and think all they need to do is make a good game and it will automatically sell itself.

Penya

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
One dude is getting roughly one vote per minute.  That...  that seems like he's spamming accounts or has a bot or something.  Not saying that's the case, but he has NO facebook likes, no tweets, and 5 comments.  Seems fishy at best.

Methinks people like that will get caught, and them what do the legwork to get the votes by promoting their game and whatnot will be the ones what end up shining through.  I know I've had my whole family vote, and they are getting their friends to vote, etc., etc..  So here's to hoping them what are frauds will get found out!
You've been agreeing with this other developer that claims to do the same as we do the whole thread, but when I tell you that we are doing it as well it is borderline cheating? (BTW this is not an attack to him, it's just an example that other developers do it too, because it's natural to promote your game among your relatives)

If you are a developer as well can you swear that you haven't promoted your game among your friends and family?

We just happen to have a bigger team, more people to promote the game... The rules didn't specify a team size limit so please just stop with the double standards.

Zorax87

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I don't see an issue with that.

It's marketing and advertising. Game development doesn't end with the production of a game.

It's what sets the successful people apart: those that put effort into spreading the word and convincing others to support them will be the ones that win in the end.

I'm sure people can name plenty of games that are "overrated" but have been played by millions of people around the world. It isn't luck that results in this phenomenon.
Marketing and advertising? Sure, but I don't understand why one group with a hypothetically-speaking mediocre game should beat another person's gem of a game simply because the former was able to advertise through a professional medium and the latter wasn't. It's hardly the People's Choice if contestants can simply pack the panel with people they know.

Zorax87

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You've been agreeing with this other developer that claims to do the same as we do the whole thread, but when I tell you that we are doing it as well it is borderline cheating? (BTW this is not an attack to him, it's just an example that other developers do it too, because it's natural to promote your game among your relatives)

If you are a developer as well can you swear that you haven't promoted your game among your friends and family?

We just happen to have a bigger team, more people to promote the game... The rules didn't specify a team size limit so please just stop with the double standards.
I have no qualms with promoting among friends and family, but utilizing a channel of 14,000 people simply because a part of your team has rather professional contacts - well, it detracts from the "indie" part of an "indie game making contest." Using professional contacts in an indie contest is no less dubious than paying people, in my opinion.

EDIT: Oh, and plagiarizing Bethesda Studios probably constitutes cheating, but whatever. It's not up to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

So I have a lighter work schedule next week. Is that a sign to move on to MZ?
I got a new rpg idea yesterday, titled "The Hero We Summoned to Save Us is a War Criminal from our Past?!"
Work on Yanfly's MZ plug-ins is coming along nicely. Looking forward to getting them: http://www.yanfly.moe/wiki/Core_Engine_VisuStella_MZ
so uh variables can only be used for num lol? I guess I gotta fix that once MZ come out lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BM_ANDERSON