Percentage Complete

Discussion in 'RGSS3 Script Requests' started by TheOddFellow, Jul 3, 2014.

1. TheOddFellow

TheOddFellow Overactive Artisan Story Crafter Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Like FFX-2, when you save, it also saves how far you have progressed AND shows it on the save file.

Is there a small script to do this?

I have scoured the internet for hours and have come up empty.

Where's what I'm basically thinking.

At Hand:

1. A "main story" variable that tracks basic progression.

2. Many other variables that track side-quest progression.

Somewhat Specifications:

1. Calculate between my "main story" variable and other variables to get a percentage between 0-100%.

2. On load scene, have "percentage complete" show up to further differentiate files.

3. If possible, have it show up in the menu as well?

If such a script is out there, please let me know?

Because I'm sure others would find it useful as well.

Thank you,

And I'll keep up my search.

2. The Prince of Sarcasm

The Prince of Sarcasm Prince of sarcasm Veteran

First Language:
    Sarcasm
    Don't delete your post or move it. The mods will do that for you. Also you can't double post, I've gotten in trouble for that before. As for the script i looked and couldn't find any. Sorry. :(

3. Needle

Needle Sharp as a Tack Veteran

First Language:
    English
    You probably don't even really need a script for this. Just decide how many "points" your main story has that will register on your progression. For instance, if it's 25 points of interest, and we're going for 100%, then every time you "achieve" a main story point, increase your 'MainProgression' variable by 4. Finished 16 plot points? By this point the variable will be 64. Simply display the variable next to a percent sign somewhere and boom, instant percentage display.

You can use averages to make a total completion display. Say you've got the main plot, collectible items, and maybe a beastiary to track. That's a total of 300% across three variables. Add the three variables together and divide by three, then round the result down. For instance, say you've got 64% story, 75% collectibles, and 30% beastiary data. Total game progession averaged out is about 56%. You could easily weight these if you wanted main story progression to be more important. Just double that variable and divide by four instead of three.

The key point to this is to make sure you add points to the variable at every event something important happens that would raise that item's percentage.

EDIT: I realize you're asking for a script to add the percentage display to a save file. I'm not entirely sure if there are variables that can be pulled from a save file to display before that save file was loaded. if there is, I wouldn't mind hearing if this is possible!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2014
  4. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    If you need something deleted or moved report your own post and a mod will take care of it for you.

5. TheOddFellow

TheOddFellow Overactive Artisan Story Crafter Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Sharm, Thanks for that, I will do so.

@Needle, thanks for the calculations. I wouldn't have thought of that.

However, I was not thinking of loading information from the file. More like saving a picture onto the file. Like what it does for the characters in the party.

@The Prince of Sarcasm, not sure whether to take your post seriously or not... Just kidding.

I tried looking for a delete button, and noticed there isn't one. Ouch. Not used to that in a forums, so I will make changes for the future.

Maybe if just to simplify my question. How do I save extra graphics to the save file?

PS, I am going to report my topic and have it moved.

Thank you for all your help!

6. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Moving to RGSS3 Script Requests

What are the extra graphics for? If you just want a gradient bar or something, you would not need extra graphics. If you actually want to show an image (and which image is shown depends on that variable) then you would just add the images to your Pictures folder (probably) and the script would still need to implement the showing of the image.