Perhaps One of the Silliest Questions Ever

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 162, Dec 28, 2015.

?

Would you like all obtainable items listed in a manual?

1. Yes!

8 vote(s)
    32.0%
  2. Sure, as long as you don't say WHERE they'll be found.

9 vote(s)
    36.0%
  3. No, I like some mystery to my dungeons, thank you.

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  4. Don't really care.

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 162

162 Moop Veteran

First Language:
    English
    For my upcoming game, I'm planning on including a PDF game manual with the download package. Of late, I've been having a strange debate.

In the game, you find items Zelda style; in dungeons, each having their own special function. I noticed that in games like Shovel Knight, the manual tells you straight-up what items you can find on your journey (though they don't say where). At the same time through, I'm worried that the mystery of wondering what items you will get will be diminished.

So, what's your personal preference? Would you like to know what items you can get, or would you rather not have any surprises spoiled?

2. Natural

Natural 恭司 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'd say not knowing where they're. There's more of a replay value that way. If everyone knows where all the items are they're most likely not going to try to play it again because they know where all the items are so you might be better off keeping it a mystery IMO.

3. Kalin

Kalin Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Depends on what kind of game you're making, and why people are playing it. (I've never played Shovel Knight or even Zelda.)

Note that in CCGs, where a large part of the enjoyment comes from getting a card you've never seen before, there are always places where you can see a complete list of cards in the game (official site, wiki, and sometimes even the deck manager in the game will let you show unowned cards).

Also, few players read manuals in the first place, so if you put that info at the end with a spoiler warning there shouldn't be too many complaints.

Wavelength likes this.
  4. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    This kind of thing works better in a strategy guide, wiki page, or other "reference" area, I think.  A manual is for introducing the player to the concept and basic play of the game and stuff like that - usually answering "how" not "what".  If you want to include a small subset of items in the manual as a teaser to your player, however, that's not a bad idea!

5. Nirwanda

Nirwanda Procrastimancer Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You could also put only a sample of the items to be found. For example, only the items bought in shops, I've seen it done a couple of times, though I question whether that's useful or not.

As for, me, I am kind of ambivalent on the subject, on one hand as a completionist, an item list is a a heaven sent, but as a player who enjoys discovering loot, I would not be so happy about it. In the end, reading or skipping that part of the manual is a choice for the player to do, so I say that if you want to do it, then do so. Though depending on the amount of items you made it might clog the manual with lists.

6. Chrispy

Chrispy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I don't really care either way, but I do like the surprise of finding unique items on my own.

....But if you have some sort of super awesome Zodiac Spear that requires you to not open certain chests, but open only a specific one somewhere else while not touching the other 20, and it so happens to be the most powerful weapon in the game, and there's not even a hint that it exists, then there's a good chance that I'm going to question your abilities in game design.

7. EternalShadow

EternalShadow Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'd love to read it after finishing the game.

8. HeathRiley

HeathRiley Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I think a good middle ground for this is to have a list in your manual with a brief description of them, leaving out where they're found. However, don't include all of the items. In this way it also becomes an advertisement for your game, building hype. "Oh there more than this? I can't wait."

9. 162

162 Moop Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Oh my god, you totally just gave me an idea on what to do!

....Ohhh, now I GOTTA put a Zodiac Spear in it!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2015
  10. SLEEP

SLEEP grunge rock cloud strife Veteran

First Language:
    emglish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    the manual has them because the player will reference the manual if they forget the controls. in zelda games, items have unique controls and uses, so they need to be explained. if all the items in your game are very self-explanatory, you might get away with not mentioning them. why not use an in-game manual, you might be able to add pages as you need them ;) that would be clever but i wouldnt know how to do it.

11. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've moved this thread to General Discussion - this is nothing to do with game mechanics. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

12. 162

162 Moop Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Sorry!

13. Valkyriet

Valkyriet Pocket Panda Veteran

First Language:
    English
    It would be very useful to have a list of all obtainable items so that it's easier for the player to find out if they've missed a crucial item or strong equipment available in the game. However, I do agree that it belongs in a strategy guide. You can also place maps and mark out all the chests with important items in them, and include a key below the map explaining what each mark refers to.

I don't think you need to include normal purchasable good in the list though. Only valuables, and equipment.