TheChatotMaestro

doesn't know what she's doing
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've looked everywhere for this, and I can't quite find what I need.
I know how to 'update' the game- edit the game file and reexport, just like any file ever- but how would I go about providing the update to players while keeping their save files?

My project will have an update every month, adding new battle stages, story sections, and characters to obtain (like a mobile phone game would have periodic updates adding new content) and it would be awful to make people restart every single time there's a new update- the focus is on completing stages and collecting cards, and if you don't get to keep them between updates, what's the point?

What's the best way to go about updating games without losing save files? Do I just have to provide an instructional text file on copying-and-pasting your save folder around, or is there a push function? Totally lost on this front. Please help!

Heirukichi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If you don't change something that is already been saved then loading a saved game should be fine. If they install the new version they should be able to load their save. Of course you have to test it so a saved game can be loaded without any issue but as long as you keep the same scripts and only add new maps and events everything should be fine.

What you should be aware of is that a saved game also contains information about the current map, that's because the information saved is $game_map and when you load it the map loaded is also the $game_map previously saved. If by any chance you change something in that map then you have to transfer your player somewhere else and reload that map after loading the saved game.

Things are different if you want to update already saved contents. In that case you have to find a way of reloading them upon loading the save file.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Plan ahead.

You need to have structured the game to finish before starting, then you can make sequential updates as long as they don't change existing data.
And you need to have all Plugins ready before first release, because adding a plugin later will almost always require players to start a new game.

Look at the other current topics, some one asked how to make DLCs, that has the same problems and the answers there are more detailed.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Here in Fla were are seeing crazy covid spikes and some vaccinated getting bad infections. I had a mild fever on Thurs but it went down fast. How is everyone else doing. Hopefully you are all well. :)
Wish I was better at art, specifically that I was faster at it, bc this one NPC took Several Days to complete! It's gonna take So Extremely Long to do all of the art for my game, never mind writing it... Anyways, here's my gorgon, Hopernica Sthyxis!

57b88732c7abbcd84981dacf624a98495af61fcc.gifv
Idk if this is my ADHD or if it's a common problem. But I cant stay motivated for anything. I want to work on so many different things at once. Game dev, skateboarding, ranking up in League, playing OSRS, fitness, nutrition, relationships. It's like, where do I even begin?
Well. Looks like I need to redo the entire battle system in order to have the things I want in it. Also I'd like to say that console.log() is the greatest function in Javascript XD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hibixon