Selhan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Hi all,

In many games, I see an interesting way of udentifying the characters you CAN interact with from the ones you cannot: emoticon (maybe the good word is ballon icons?)

Two ways:

- Either these characters have above their head a permanent animated emoticon (example: suspension points to identify someone you cantalk with)

- Or these characters have nothing special, but when you come close to them the emoticon appears, and stay activated as long as you are close to them

I technically do not know how to do these two things.

Could you help?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1) basically use GIMP or Photoshop to add the icon to the sprite itself

2) difficult, you'll need a parallel process to check for player position and use the balloon command or the animation command to play it on the event when the conditions are correct.

Unfortunately parallel processes are tricky as soon as there are enough to cause lag - one or two are no problem, but if there are more functions you'll need to design them to minimize lag and that requires some experience with them.

Selhan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Hi Andar,

1) The issue with this is that the emoticon is no longer animated when included in the sprite itself

2) There's a Yanfly script ("Event chase Player") that makes the job of calculating the distance between player position and the sprite, and that can show an emoticon when the distance is what you defined. Problem: the emoticon is not "permanent". It pops, animate, then disappear.

As you can see, I've already been looking for solutions, but I did not find the "very good one".

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1) The issue with this is that the emoticon is no longer animated when included in the sprite itself

wrong, you have the same 3-frame-animation that the sprite itself has (in the case of events, you might need to activate it with the stepping animation).

However, then it will be in sync with the regular animation, yes - but it's the simplest way to make this and that of course means it doesn't have the same options as a special plugin for it.

2) Problem: the emoticon is not "permanent". It pops, animate, then disappear.

Not exactly - that's why I said you'll need a parallel process.

That parallel process would be timed with waits to restart the animation/emoticon as soon as the previous part ends.

It's a bit tricky to find the correct number of waits (especially as those numbers might change with additional events), but it can be done.

And other than those two options there is no other solution short of requesting a script for it - and a lot of scripters moved to MV, I don't know how long you would have to wait for that (unless you offer something in return)

If you think you'll need a specific script for this, this topic needs to be moved to script requests.

basicleader

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
1. What I would do is create a new animation spritesheet in Gimp with 3 frames of animation like so:

balloons.png

As you can see, the first direction of this character spritesheet is the "..." balloon animation. Then you just need to choose this character spritesheet for the event that is above the head of your PNJ, and check "step animation" so that the animation plays in loop. If the NPC below is moving, you would need to have this event follow the same route as the NPC!

2. Here you might be able to make a condition to display the above event only when the player.x (set as a variable) and player.y are in the range of the event x and y position. But I wouldn't have time to try this out, being not so good with those things, I hope someone else can help! =)

Selhan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Hi Andar, Basic,

Many thanks for your answers, I've been trying various solutions including yours and came to something satisfying with parralel processes.

Thanks again!

ZServ

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Mind sharing, Selhan? I've been pondering about something similar, myself.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

It's special day for me tomorrow so time to vanish for 24 hours lol.
So Deltarune Chapter 2 is supposed to release today... if it's out already, has anyone played it? And I can't because I have a stinking Mac and not a Windows PC.
I forgot that forums have profile walls that you can post or comment on, guess I found a new platform to specifically rant about game-related deranged thought or problems that I have. Salut mes amis!
I couldn't help myself, so I edited the tiles a bit and made a birdhouse :LZSsmile: I hope I will finish the town today!Screenshot 2021-09-17 134349.png
How do I find the threads I have watched? It's been so long I've forgotten :kaoswt:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loyalvib