Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm trying to think of a way to mimic the Persona 5 message options:

(Or: https://s3.amazonaws.com/zam-www/assets/editorial/2017/03/persona5_sojiro.jpg)

The way MV is designed, any code executed after a text message box would remove the message box unless it's related, to my understanding.

Is it possible to have the game take a (temporary) screenshot (via a command) and display it on screen until another command removes it and deletes the image from memory?

That way I think I can run a message box, along with the options and relevant face/images, over the screenshotted image. I can also dim the image similar to how the background becomes dimmed in Persona 5 (can be observed in the picture).

I assume the alternative of enabling double message boxes is hard since such a plugin isn't out as yet.

ashikai

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I don't think this is something you need a script for, TBH. You can already see choice options (which is what's on the right there) and the message window at the same time. I think you could get away with just changing out your message styles. I don't think you need to get so complicated as to take screenshots and overlay them, the way I understand it.

mogwai

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This little plugin me and @shinichi999 came up with will save the screen to your pictures folder using Node Fs.
PHP:
var screenShotSaveByNodeFs = function(filename){
   var fs = require('fs');
   var path = require('path');
   var lp = document.location.pathname;
   var pathName = lp.match(/^\/?\w:\//)!==null? // windows path
       decodeURIComponent(lp.replace(/^\/|index\.html$/g, ''))
   :
       decodeURIComponent(lp.replace(/index\.html$/, '')); // mac path
   fs.writeFile(path.join(path.normalize(pathName + "img/pictures/"), path.normalize(filename)),
       SceneManager.snap()._canvas.toDataURL("image/png").split(",")[1], 'base64',
       function(er) {
           if (er) alert(er);
       }
   );
};
Use it via event script call like so...
PHP:
screenShotSaveByNodeFs("anyRandomPictureName.png");
Then it goes in your pictures folder so you can use it like a picture via eventing.

I also have a plugin that turns the current message box into a picture, if you don't want the whole screen, and @shinichi999 is helping me buffer out the kinks in that one as well. https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/two-dialogues-at-the-same-time.77045

Rink27

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't think this is something you need a script for, TBH. You can already see choice options (which is what's on the right there) and the message window at the same time. I think you could get away with just changing out your message styles. I don't think you need to get so complicated as to take screenshots and overlay them, the way I understand it.

It's difficult to maintain the message and choice options to appear together when you want to do other effects such as show a picture, tint the screen, etc.

@mogwai thank you very much. The screen saving would be nice if there was a way to delete the pictures (so that it doesn't take up space in the long run). However, the plugin about converting the message box into a picture seems more efficient for what I would want. I'd check into it.

mogwai

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I could rig the show picture thing to use temporary images. There is no need to save pictures if you don't need to. BRB.

EDIT: Here is a new function that will take a screenshot and show it as a picture. It will only be part of the game as long as the game is open, and only as long as the picture of the ID is not erased.

Screen%20Shot%202017-04-26%20at%2012.34.46%20AM.png

rotateWipe-o.gif

PHP:
(function(alias){
   ImageManager.loadPicture = function(filename, hue) {
       if(filename.match(/^data:image\/png;base64,/) !== null){
           return this.loadNormalBitmap(filename, hue);
       }
       return alias.apply(this, arguments);
   };
})(ImageManager.loadPicture);
var freezeGameScreenToPicture = function(parameters){
   var p = parameters || {};
   var GC = SceneManager.snap()._canvas;       // gameCanvas
   var screenShot = GC.toDataURL("image/png");// base64 data image
   $gameScreen.showPicture(                  // show Picture (
       p.id       || 1,                     // picture ID and...
       screenShot,                         // name (saved ScreenShot)
       p.origin   || 0,                   // origin
       p.x        || 0,                  // x
       p.y        || 0,                 // y
       p.scaleX   || 100,              // scaleX
       p.scaleY   || 100,             // scaleY
       p.opacity  || 255,            // opacity
       p.blendMode|| 0              // blendMode
   );                              // );
};

Call it like...
PHP:
freezeGameScreenToPicture({id:NUMBER});

Any of these other parameters are optional. It should be all the same options in the show Picture dialogue. 0-1, 0-255, 0-100+, etc.
PHP:
freezeGameScreenToPicture({id:1, origin:0, x:0, y: 0, scaleX:100, scaleY:100, opacity:255, blendMode:0});
This ^ shows a picture with the picture ID #1, so I can do event picture stuff to it by ID #1.

This way is probably better than the first plugin I posted, because that first plugin will muddy up the pictures folder and it won't run in browsers because Node Fs.

Last edited:

Rink27

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you very much for your time and consideration @mogwai
Though, the pinned picture messages is a lot more exciting to me at the moment, lol.
I'd see to finding a way to incorporating your temporary screenshotting as well in my game.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I've been in Fort Myers since Thursday night. I'm going home tomorrow or the next day... lol, I desperately need a good taste of homemade Japanese food. I might not be Japanese or even Asian (I'm American born and raised), but I absolutely love authentic Japanese cooking. Restaurant food doesn't do it justice.
Haven't been working on any of my projects or resources lately as I'll soon be moving to a new apartment. It's been a stressful move but I'm really looking forward to it.
//Sees it's the same price at Best Buy for a new SSD as Amazon
//Sees it's 103F outside and Best Buy is half a hour of driving.
//Orders from Amazon.
I'll wait the 2-3 days. :LZSwink:
Just a little teaser screenshot of Mountain Village...

Screenshot (364).png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NARFNra