Persona 5

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Windows i7, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Windows i7

Windows i7 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Due to the high ratings, it looking interesting and seeming to have a great soundtrack I decided to buy Persona 5 for PS3. I was able to get it new so for cheaper than some pre-owned copies of it due to it being on sale at a local store. I never saw that coming... Is anyone else here playing it?

2. lokirafael

lokirafael Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I pre-ordered mine (something I nerver do), I had 1 week leave from my work. Wasted all my leave playing it. Best PS4 RPG and possibly one of the best games from this gen. I did 100% in english and japonese (Just because Futaba is voiced by Aoi Yuki, same voice of Tanya Degurechaff)

Persona and SMT OST's are always amazing. Last Surprise, Beneath the Mask, Rivers in the Desert... every track in that game is god-like,

3. Gamefall Team

Gamefall Team Nebula Games Leader Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have finished it some days ago, after playing it for around 140 hours.
    And, oh my god, it's one of the best game i ever played: amazing OST, incredible story, detailed mechanics, cool characters!
    I loved it and when I will have time, I think I will play it with the same passion!
    It inspired me as game developer, too.
    I just loved the mechanics and I'm planning to elaborate them in one game of mine, recreating them in original ways.

I absolutely suggest to play Persona 5, a game that deserves a lot! :kaoluv:

4. Zebestian

Zebestian Noisemaker Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What I don't think people give Persona 5 enough credit for is that it single-handedly boosted a niche franchise into the mainstream. The presentation is amazing, the soundtrack is fantastic and the combination of RPG and basic life sim is absolutely down my alley! I don't think I ever enjoyed a game as much as I did Persona 5.:kaothx:
    However, I never managed to play it with English voice over. It's just too cringey to someone who knows Japanese. And the frustrating thing is: the voice actors were told to pronounce the names the wrong way (i.e. sa-KA-moto instead of SAKA-moto) by the Japanese voice directors. Probably to make it sound more familiar to western ears. Either way, I'm totally fine with the Japanese voices and I'm glad I played it that way, because now I'm familiar with the voices and that's gonna be great when the anime comes out!:kaojoy:

[​IMG]

5. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Persona 3 and 4 already broke pretty mainstream, at least with people who like JRPGs. And people who don't like JRPGs still aren't going to like P5, so I wouldn't say it really broke down many barriers there, it was just following the path P3 and P4 had already lain out.

6. sabao

sabao Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I got the steel book edition of P5 and will remember it fondly as the last video game I played before the last game studio I worked for folded and I eventually found a different job that brought me to Japan. I think I spent my first month doing mundane crap like taking the train, having a coffee or walking through rain while listening to its soundtrack on loop.

It's been a year since I finished the game. I don't think I look at the gameplay and story as fondly as I did back then, but the slick presentation and soundtrack still stick out to me as very memorable. The series has always been great for its visual style since the 3rd, but they definitely outdid themselves with this one.

7. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I honestly thought P5 was just average. Some of my reasons are spoilers, so I'll put them in a spoilers tab. Don't read if you haven't finished the game.

-Enemy spawn too RNG dependent. You can still get enemies to spawn under you and get the automatic surprise attack on you, which can be deadly in a game you can't save anywhere at. You'd think they would have fixed this by now.
    -Early battles too RNG dependent. If that enemy spawns under you, surprises you, then gets a few lucky critical hits, its a game over before you get a turn. I often say if I dared to EVER put that in my game I'd be panned for it, so that makes me even more upset that this is in the game and people go Game of the Year still.
    -Too many elements. We didn't need to add two more to the system.
    -MP restoratives are horded like they are the gold in Fort Knox still (a constant issue with Atlas games). Seriously, giving early game players only a 5 MP restorative is a slap in the face, especially with no option to buy more (I bought all 2 they sold. Seriously, that's all I get to 'prep'? Give me a break). Sure, I get they want you go back multiple times, but Persona 4 at least HAD a way to restore MP even early on, and P3 restored all MP/HP when you went to the entrance.
    -Bosses ultimate attacks would KO my party even when I guarded, yet I was above the level of all monsters in the dungeon? What did they expect me to do, grind constantly at the low EXP they gave out per fight to get a little more DEF after I level up 60+ battles later due to the low EXP I was getting?
    -Poor RNG in battles on to hit, even on magic. I counted my hit/miss ratio through a few battles (it was the Ship dungeon where I did this) and got I was only hitting 40% of the time, and that was against an enemy that did not have the evade skill. So much for that supposedly 97% to hit the game said I had. What, did enemies get 60% evade or something by default?
    -Some of the social links felt creepy to me, or like they were playing up to certain male fantasies. Do we really need a game where 30+ year old women date a high school student? Incidentally, that is illegal in my country BTW.
    -The game overstayed it's welcome. I think it should have wrapped it up after the battle with Shinu (I might have the name wrong, it's the politician you take down in November/December). Adding that weird convoluted twist with the mad God felt like the game was forcing itself to go on, or like it was afraid it hadn't been epic enough or something.

Granted, I feel like some of the issues might be I was playing the PS3 version, but I judge a game based on the version I get. If they can't port it well from the PS4 to the PS3 or break it on the way, that's still on them.

8. Windows i7

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @bgillisp I am playing the PS3 version too. I agree that some of the combat elements could have been handled better but otherwise the game is amazing.

9. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    The thing is, most of those combat elements are downgrades from Persona 3 and 4, and as much fighting as you have to do in these games, it's high time they fix them, as after a while it starts to really degrade from the experience. For a system that everyone says is strategic it sure it very RNG dependent. In fact, the RNG hated me so much when I played it I joked the final boss should have been a pair of dice as I felt like I was fighting the RNGGoddess the entire time.

As it is, I finally got so sick of it I dropped down to Easy so I could just enjoy the story and not have the battles raise my blood pressure to 167/144 every time I played the game. Then I found it enjoyable...until the end of the game when the plot went to $@%@^. But that's just my opinion of the story there.

Windows i7 likes this.
  10. rue669

rue669 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm literally terrified to play this game just because I can't be sinking 100 hours into a game. Just don't have the time. I have it, but already considering trading it in.

Also, the fact that the anime is coming out, I might just want that instead.

Too many games to play!

11. Windows i7

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That's a shame because you're going to be missing out an awesome game. If you do play it, take it slow and play on safety. The game has some balance issues but the story is amazing (one of my favorites ever actually). Then there is the OST which again is one of the best I've ever heard.

12. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Seconded. There are some really serious balance issues that if we put them in our game we'd be ripped for it. In a way, it's almost like they wanted you to grind for hours to be able to proceed. So just play it on Safety or Easy (Easy reduces all damage by 50% that enemies do to you, but has no other changes).

@Windows i7 : The story is good until late December in my opinion. You'll see what I mean once you clear the next dungeon. Then it goes nuts in my opinion. If the game had just ended after you clear the December dungeon I'd rate the game as good with balance issues, but what it does after that dungeon really lowered my opinion of the game to just average in the end.

13. Touchfuzzy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think one of the issues with turn-based combat is that any system that is remotely challenging is going to start feeling unfair at times. (And hell, actually BE unfair at times).

It could also be a playstyle issue. Idk. I rarely die in the Persona and SMT games, except occasionally to bosses the first time when I'm still learning the patterns (or in the case of SMT: Nocturne, when I just need to figure out what immunity/repels I need). Even if I don't get the weakness chain I needed at the beginning to knock everyone down, I can usually survive at least one pass through of enemy moves. But I'm also a natural grinder, so I'm probably more at the level that the game is expecting at any time. (Persona pretty much requires you to... well not grind so much as take strong advantage of the fusion system, which is its own form of grinding).

14. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I don't think that is the issue here. I felt like this time there were two issues myself.

1: I felt like the game was designed for those who are masters of the fusion system from the beginning, not for those still learning it.

2: Bosses are near impossible on normal or above even if you are at or higher level than the rest of monsters of the dungeon, with the exception of the ultra high level monster they throw in, which no one has a sane chance to beat. That $@%^ monster that is level 37 in the pyramid with no weaknesses and spams almighty spells but all the other monsters are level 31 or less...yeah, that was just mean. And don't say use status ailments like all the guides did, I was 0% for inflicting status ailments in that game, which includes that monster as I tried for 4 - 6 rounds to hit them with a status ailment before I gave up. They NEVER worked, at least when I used them.

15. rue669

rue669 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Windows i7 -- is the game honestly 100 hours?

I would play it on baby ass easy mode, for sure.

16. Touchfuzzy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes, the game is easily 100 hours.

Also, @bgillisp I'm starting to wonder whether the PS3 version had some weird changes compared to the PS4 version on hit rate, because I never had that much of a problem with applying status ailments or hitting with just regular spells/attacks.

17. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I think it did honestly, as I didn't hear of this issue elsewhere. But, I can only state what I think of the version of the game I got, especially as I don't own a PS4.

This does go to show something though. If you release a game on multiple systems, you better made sure it works well on all of them. Else you will get some that say the game isn't that good due to getting a bad port.

18. Rei_Venom

Rei_Venom Just Another Adventurer Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Strange, I played it on PS3, never had an issue and I was playing on hard mode. Though I remember that boss you were talking about. Almighty attacks suck. I’m playing it through again on merciless difficulty for a special reason.
    You can fight Caroline and Justine on New Game+, and they’re no joke.

19. Teddy97

Teddy97 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I can´t decide if i should rather play the game or watch instead the anime >.<
    Currently 3 episodes are out (It will have 24 in total)

20. Windows i7

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    From what I've read the game is better.