Persona-esque Skill/Level system

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by Kaesekruemel, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Kaesekruemel

Kaesekruemel Warper Member

First Language:
    german
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hi there. I'm rather new to the Game maker so I may overlook something but I can't seem to find a way to do it on my own. I also don't know if this is the right thread in the Forum since I just created an account.

I wanted to implement a System where the heroes get access to a bunch of items which 'hold a spirit' and they can use These in battles, pretty much like the persona series has them. I wanted the Magic to be done by those Spirits instead of it being casted by the heroes themselves. Stat increases and Special buffs/debuffs should also be given by those items. The question is... how do I do that? I looked through some tutorials on YouTube and all but none that I found explained something like that. Is it possible?

I work on VX Ace.

Thanks in advance

2. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

I've moved this thread to Ace Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

3. AlliedG

AlliedG Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    You need to deconstruct your ideas into a series of steps.

Rather than thinking system from x game, it's better to look at what the actual mechanics are and then replicate it.

The persona system, for example, is similar to FF7 materia and the persona is basically a summon in game.

If you search "materia script rpgmaker vx ace" and "summon system rpgmaker vx ace" you can find relevant systems.

Also, battle mechanics will depend on if it first person or side view for the visual elements.

Pretty much any system can be created if you know ruby and have artistical talent. If you're lacking in any of these skills you can commission them.

4. Kaesekruemel

Kaesekruemel Warper Member

First Language:
    german
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Okay. Well I did deconstruct it but I thought it'd be too Long for this.

I'd basically Need two Kinds of Level Systems then. one for the Player Level, one for the summon. The Player doesn't use any Kind of skill exept for "summon". The summoned Entity gains exp just like the heroes, but they can be changed.

The Problem with scripts is that I have no idea how to use them yet and as some tutorials say, if you use them wrong, your engine and games can become quite bugged. I thought maybe there is a way to do it without a script.

Thanks for your answer though. Shows me not to rush Things like I tend to do and instead to go thoroughly through the engine's mechanics before.

5. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'd like to suggest that you have a look at Andar's compilation of info for new users. Among the many useful things there, you will see links to 2 playable tutorials, one for Event Commands and one for Switches and Variables. These are a much more efficient way of learning than watching a tutorial, and will give you a solid grounding in 2 things that you will absolutely need to have under your belt if you want to make the sort of game you are describing (or, indeed, any game). Spending a bit of time on this now will save you a huge amount of time and frustration in the long run.