Persona-like wildcard class in battle ❤❤❤

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by jjleroy, Mar 21, 2019.

1. jjleroy

jjleroy I love bananas Veteran

First Language:
    German, English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey RPGmakerfriends,

I was wondering how I could have a Persona-like class for an actor, namely how it could be deployed in battle.

• Main actor can gather several classes/personas and switch between them
    • only one class can be used at a time
    • each class gives him a different skillset
    • for example, if he activates the "fire persona", he ONLY(!) can use that persona's fire skills.

Anyone have an idea how I could do this!?

2. Weremole

Weremole Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Hmm... One way would be to make the switching command a skill type and each "persona" a skill. Each skill is instant cast (gonna need a plugin here) so they don't eat up an action (if you want it P4 style where you can only change once per turn I dunno how). The skill procs a common event that handles all the class switching logic. Someone else probably has a much more detailed and better ideas.

jjleroy likes this.
  3. jjleroy

First Language:
    German, English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The skill type approach would work for sure, however it is a lot of work since you'd have 300+ different personas. Also, many skills are not unique to one class, so I'd have lots of skills 5-6 times in the database...

Ideally, it would work with Classes. I wanted to define each persona as class, and assign the skillsets to the specific class:

[​IMG]

unfortunately it does not work: If I activate that class in battle, the actor still can't use any of these skills, even if I put all to "learn at Lv1". what am I doing wrong?

4. Weremole

Weremole Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    A lot of it depends on how you want it to work mechanically and aesthetically as well. There's a reason why the Persona games physical skills are just effects animations and counters are treated the same as magic reflection. It's easier to deal with when you have hundreds of models to make, animate and manage.

Does the actor have access to the skill type the skills are associated with?

jjleroy likes this.
  5. jjleroy

First Language:
    German, English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi Weremole, that makes sense.
    Yes, the actor has access to the skills of a certain skill type if I assign that type to him.
    However, he can then use all of those skills regardless which level he currently has.
    I wonder how I could make it so he only can use the skills of the class he has, and only if he has that level.

6. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    The closest I've come to this is a system akin to how Soul Hackers did things, in that:

1: I had the MC equip an item which gave them the skills of the Persona.
    2: The item gave you the option to learn that skill type.
    3: The Persona cannot level up, period. It has all of the skills when you equip it (this is how Soul Hackers and the early SMT games did it, no level ups at all for Persona or Demons).

That would be the easiest solution.

As to the skill issue, you have to level up to learn any skills listed that way, and since you can't level up to level 1, that is why you can't learn those. You'll have to make the level 1 skills skills you can already use under the features tab.

7. NinjaKittyProductions

NinjaKittyProductions Professional Murder Hobos Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I did something similar in a project of mine where I have a monk that switches between stances. Each stance has its own abilities and buffs. I was able to accomplish this with just using common events. It is tedious but I liked how it turned out.

Capture.PNG
    Capture1.PNG

Note: You could also use conditional branches to check the players level and dependent on that, you can have them have access to different skills.