Morpheus

Jack-of-Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
After fiddling around with some scripts, art and events just for fun, I realized its entirely possible to make a persona type game (dungeon crawling with social aspects).

I'd like to know the communities interest in a game similar to persona and whether or not you would play a game like it and the potential problems with creating a similar game.

Wavelength

Edge of Eternity
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
People try to make these all the time, and invariably they are never, ever completed. There are even scripts/plugins for stuff like Social Links to make the programming and interface a little easier, not to mention a couple of scripts/plugins that allow for random dungeons if (like me) you're more into the P3/P4 dungeons than P5's handcrafted style.

What everyone always forgets is that Persona's appeal doesn't come from its system so much as its content. Persona games have double-digit hours' worth of made-from-scratch, non-scalable, painstakingly crafted story content and slice-of-life content that takes a whole team years to make, and sharp, witty writing that comes from some of the best creative talent in the video game business. Without both the expansive content and the writing, Persona would fall flat.

It's very unlikely that any single member here has the both the talent and the incredible amount of time it would take to construct that amount of high-quality content, and I'd have a hard time envisioning a team made of members here being able to align in their creative visions (and avoid real life's commitments scuttling the project) for a length of 3-10 years to see it through to completion. It would be reasonably easy to make a little tech demo that shows off the gameplay and has maybe 5% of the game's projected content (with most stuff just saying "inaccessible for now"). Expanding that little by little to 100% of a real Persona-like experience will be the biggest grind you take on in your life.

So in short, there's massive interest in such a game from the RPGM community, but I don't believe it's a feasible RPG Maker project. Any small part of it could be done easily, but creating the whole thing would be Sisyphean.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Recent threads, and my very poor algorithm for my minimap plugin have made me face the fact that I need to review algorithms and such.

Going through Cracking the Coding Interview now. I am so excited.
Kes
I've seen a reference to a Community Lighting plugin for MZ, but cannot find it. Is it still in beta?

Todo:
Add fog of war
Add enemy indicators
Make window draggable
Optimise map drawing algorithm (5 seconds to load the map you see, so it's a... poo-poo algorithm)

Any suggestions? :kaoblush:
bleh studio hell job haha at least they like it didnt had time to do much laundry tho ;w;'....YES I DO AT LEAST TAKE A SHOWER everyday!
Ami
--- Food Ingredients ---

Hero: Since the Chef are in Hospital,we can't eat his Dish in 3 Days.
F.Mage: What we have to Eat?
M.Healer: Don't worry,we can Eat the Food Ingredients.
Hero & F.Mage
: Really?

(3 Days Later)

Chef: Hi,Guys. I'm Ba---
(Entire Party Collapse After Eat Raw Meat)
Chef: Wha...WHAT GOING ON HERE!!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilsonliz