Perspective: A Story of Class

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by Fictionary88, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Fictionary88

Fictionary88 Nobody Member

First Language:
    English
    So. I've finally finished the demo for my first ever RPG Maker game. Admittedly there's not much to it for now. Just a cast of characters, some narration here and there, a basic idea of how the game starts before you select your character.

Fair Warning

The following game has religious themes.

If you don't like the idea of interacting with the GOD of this fantasy world, please leave.

This game also covers homosexuality, racism, and gender inequality.

If THAT makes you uncomfortable, please leave.

The Idea behind the Game: What happens when a holy figure in a fantasy world decides to cast aside his ideals? What if someone is cursed with evil magiks, but still wants to do good in the world? What if someone from a race that isn't human wants to help humanity, but isn't trusted due to racist beliefs towards their kind? I spent a long time thinking about these ideas, and how they could be implemented into a game, and I think I've found a way of doing so that I'm satisfied with.

The Story: Long ago, there was a world of chaos and anarchy. A survival of the fittest world where evil was dominant over good. It was a wasteland of despair and suffering. As if to answer the prayers of his children, the God of this world set rules for all of his children to follow.

This was the birth of the Class System. All villains had weaknesses, all enemies dropped useful loot, all shops sold weapons and armor, and all heroes were categorized into Classes to help manage their talents. It was meant to be a calm and orderly world, and for a time it was. But it was far from perfect.

All semblance of free will no longer existed. There was no freedom, only the system. Ones strength, weakness, skills, gear, and even their social status was all decided by the Class they chose. Overcoming limits was left impossible, because limitation was the law of the world.

Our story begins with you, the player, walking a mile in the shoes of various characters in this world, trying to make it better.

Gameplay: The gameplay will be about as simple as an RPG gets. In fact, the campaign will consist of nothing but the first level from Final Fantasy 1. That is to say, the story will go like this:

1. The Princess has been kidnapped!

2. Save her.

3. Reward Get.

Sound overly simple? That's because it has to be. Let me explain.

You see, in this game, you will play as Six different characters. Each one going on the same mission, but for different reasons. Not only that, but all the NPC's will react differently to each character that you play as.

Will the Shopkeep let you buy his wares if he deems you untrustworthy? Will he give you a discount for being viewed as an upstanding citizen? Will he let you look at his whole inventory, or limit you to a smaller set of items due to your Class? This is just one example of how the game will react to the character you play as.

This game is one that focuses entirely on its characters while keeping the gameplay as simple as possible. It's all about how the characters view the world, and how the world views them back. Hence the name Perspective: A Story of Class. (Admittedly I didn't make that name myself. You can thank my sister for that.)

Characters: I have yet to give these characters proper names, so I'll just refer to them by class. (Much like how they'll be viewed in the narrative. Fitting isn't it?) To learn more about the characters, play the demo. I go into much better detail there.

1: Knight: To find true love, despite his taboo sexual preference.

2: Light Mage: To earn more respect as a female hero.

3: Dark Mage: To become strong enough to fend for himself.

4: Thief: To earn the trust of others.

5: Demon: To regain his human form?

6: Junk Knight: To make "Junk Knight" and actual Class.

7: GOD: Serves mainly as the mentor to the player.

Feel free to suggest names for these characters after you play the demo.

And that's about all I have to say about the game. I'd like to let the Demo do most of the talking for me, so please, give it a play. It'll only take a few minutes and is mainly a way to convey these characters to the player as well as provide some world building.

Screenshots and the Demo itself can be found in the links below. Please, offer as much constructive criticism as possible. Every bit helps.

Screenshots/Characters:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5oaecgmkyuk3dla/AACUNEA7x3_FitHUO-Wvxu_na?dl=0

The Demo (PC):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hmbrajjftf9aosi/Game_boxed.exe?dl=0

The Demo (Mac):
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x91dvs4t0yfaisq/AAAQIcbivvpbhCduwmrDACwJa?dl=0

Edit: I think I have it working now.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2016
  2. SlySlySly

SlySlySly Princess Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I love the story idea! Is there a mac version though?  ;)

3. Fictionary88

First Language:
    English
    I'll make one later today. :)

4. Fictionary88

First Language:
    English
    Done. Enjoy your Mac version.

5. Fictionary88

First Language:
    English
    I retract my previous statement, I don't know if it'll work.

6. SlySlySly

SlySlySly Princess Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Mac will likely work! Deporting generally works perfectly! 

7. Fictionary88

First Language:
    English
    Cool cool, hope you like it. :)