CleanWater

Independent Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is there anyone here besides myself that thinks Phantasy Star franchise is far better than Final Fantasy franchise?
And that Phantasy Star IV should definitely have a REMAKE pretty much like Final Fantasy VII?

Tea's Jams

I'm human
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I agree that Fantasy Star 4 should DEFINITELY get a remake (as long as they don't fix a certain battle so you can no longer level everyone up to 99 in a few hours ;) )

I wouldn't go as far as saying that it's better than FF though... I would say personally, it's on the same level with a different flavor.

MHRob

Card Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm mainly a fan of episodes 1 and 2 on the gamecube and Blue Burst for the pc. Spent hundreds of hours just looking for gear that comes from the red boxes. Still waiting on an official PSO2 release for the west....

Never played any of the games before or after the ones I mentioned, so I have no idea If they played the same or not.

CleanWater

Independent Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wouldn't go as far as saying that it's better than FF though... I would say personally, it's on the same level with a different flavor.

Aeris death is considered iconic by critics and gamers overall, but I would dare to say that Nei's death was much more significant and hearth touching than Aeris'. Plus, PS2 was released much before FF7, FF7 got all the credits for innovating something that wasn't new. Not to mention that PS2 and PS4 were much more gloomy than FF7, considering their age of release, and explored themes much more deeper than any other subsequent game from any other franchise in the 90's.

I love FF7, but I consider PS2 plot much more superior than it. If it had a better narrative and a more fluid gameplay, it would surpass any FF I know so far.

Tea's Jams

I'm human
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I personally don't even care for FF7, it bored me to tears, I got halfway through and didn't finish. My favorite is FF6.

barnzie8

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Played a bit of ps2 on the Sega collection. Have not really played it much, but that is mostly because I have lots of games I have started but not fully finished.

CleanWater

Independent Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Played a bit of ps2 on the Sega collection. Have not really played it much, but that is mostly because I have lots of games I have started but not fully finished.

I'm not alone! :guffaw:

The original PS2 requires a lot of grind in the beginning. It's really boring, but after you got all the weapons and initial equips, things got more easier.

barnzie8

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yes I heard it is the hardest in the series, I got wrecked by that blaster thing in the second dungeon.

DestinyBattle

Final Fantasy Nut
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
I like Phantasy Star as a series, really great series, but it's stall in 1994 and not moving up to next gen, like every other game franchise was doing at the time, really hurt it as a series. If a Phantasy Star V was released on the PSX or even the SEGA Saturn, and it was good, it would've helped the series IMO. Some may argue that PS4 was supposed to be the last game in the original series, but it was the general flow of game companies was to move up to 3D by the mid-to-late nineties. This is all my opinion. xD

Gallia

Global Support
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I played Phantasy II, III and IV, Phantasy Star Online Episode 1&2 on Gamecube (Sega Dreamcast port), Episode 3 C.A.R.D. revolution, and Phantasy Star Universe.

They're fun, but sadly i don't see much Phantasy Star games nowadays.

Benny Jackdaw

Ratty!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Actually, I'm only a fan of the first, second and fourth games. I could never get into any of the modern games, and the third game was just boring. I've probably played the original game the most and I loved how it had an overworld map, but first-person dungeons.

Between Final Fantasy, Phantasy Star and Dragon Quest, DQ was the first to be made, but we in the states actually got Phantasy Star first.

Ebontope

Plays video games too much to be productive.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've actually never played anything other than Phantasy Star Universe, and that was a long time ago... I thought that game was pretty decent though.

Shame that I never got to experience the whole online part.

yajirobi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
ps4 is a stone cold classic.

busbuzz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I played them all! but i think psiv is by far the best of all, i don't consider ps3 part of the series tho. i think Alys' death was way more painful than aerith's.

AeroPergold

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Oh heck yea! I love Phantasy Star I own 1, 2 and 4 as their original cartridges and I play PS I via Sega Ages on my Switch.

Its proof that SEGA can do what Nintendoes.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
And that Phantasy Star IV should definitely have a REMAKE pretty much like Final Fantasy VII?
No. I don't understand the point of the trend of remastering games (same thing goes for rebooting TV shows or movies).

I don't care about playing the same thing with newer graphics or sound quality. If a studio is going to put some degree of time and effort into the franchise, grow a pair, be creative, and make a new game.

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
losing Alys in Ps4 hit way harder then Aeris's.
i mean 1st playthrough of FF7 if you dont end up with Aeris in gold saucer then the player really doesnt develop any attachment to her, shes just this mostly helpless girl that need to protect and easy way to do that is just push her to the back.
meanwhile with Alys Ps4 trys to buildup an attachment right from the start, makeing her like a big sister and role model that your trying to live up to. as well as making her 1 of your stronger characters. when she goes the party feels it, you feel it. and then find that statue of her in the next town after and your like "i really dont know anything about her but man she was awesome".
then theres her connection with Rune. that guy is just a walking mystery and possibly an immortal. he's been in every game and they take place over 1000 years apart.

i love PS because they try to develop the characters and the lore of the world is just something you read in passing. FF games tend to be the other way around, where the lore of the world is thrown in your face and for the most part the character development is a side activity except when it directly relates to the lore of the world.

this is why you cant really compare these 2 franchises on equal footing because they use very different focus for storytelling

Last edited:

busbuzz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
losing Alys in Ps4 hit way harder then Aeris's.
i mean 1st playthrough of FF7 if you dont end up with Aeris in gold saucer then the player really doesnt develop any attachment to her, shes just this mostly helpless girl that need to protect and easy way to do that is just push her to the back.
meanwhile with Alys Ps4 trys to buildup an attachment right from the start, makeing her like a big sister and role model that your trying to live up to. as well as making her 1 of your stronger characters. when she goes the party feels it, you feel it. and then find that statue of her in the next town after and your like "i really dont know anything about her but man she was awesome".
then theres her connection with Rune. that guy is just a walking mystery and possibly an immortal. he's been in every game and they take place over 1000 years apart.

i love PS because they try to develop the characters and the lore of the world is just something you read in passing. FF games tend to be the other way around, where the lore of the world is thrown in your face and for the most part the character development is a side activity except when it directly relates to the lore of the world.

this is why you cant really compare these 2 franchises on equal footing because they use very different focus for storytelling
I couldn't agree more. I wouldnt be able to describe that in a better way. besides, those comic style cutscenes really made a great job getting you into the character development.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Happy Friday, y'all! I just got home from work and am sitting down with a nice cider, and I'm ready to chill and enjoy myself. Not sure if I'm gonna dive into any of my game-related projects or not tonight.... we'll see how I feel after unwinding for a bit I guess!
Just found out that mint tea made from chocolate mint tastes a bit like hot cocoa with candy cane stirred in. As I'm allergic to chocolate this makes me very happy.
It's special day for me tomorrow so time to vanish for 24 hours lol.
So Deltarune Chapter 2 is supposed to release today... if it's out already, has anyone played it? And I can't because I have a stinking Mac and not a Windows PC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicxith