Panda_Artist

Humble RPG Fan
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Good Morning / Day / Afternoon / Evening everyone.

I am in need of your assistance once again.

In Phantasy Star IV End of the Millenium there is this system of combination attacks where if two, three or four characters activate certain abilities of their roster after every character action has been decided, it will trigger a special combo attack, using up their turns in the process.

For example: When it's the party's turn on the default battle system

if Alex uses Fire and Alisa uses Wind = After all party selections are decided, During the party's turn they both activate "Simoon" (Fire and Wind), and it uses up both their individual turns and they both suffer the cost of the skill (either MP or TP).

Is it possible to code a script that can do this sort of thing? I know there are combination skills and unision skills scripts but those function a little differently.

Can this be done for enemies as well?

Any help is appreciated.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yeah, this can definitely be done. I did this for my Touch the Stars game before I modified it to have combo skills as a menu option instead. It does require a bit of scripting.

Panda_Artist

Humble RPG Fan
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yeah, this can definitely be done. I did this for my Touch the Stars game before I modified it to have combo skills as a menu option instead. It does require a bit of scripting.
I figured as much, it's times like these where I wish I practiced a bit more in scripting,

If I had some money in I would be more than happy to actually comission someone to do this for me... I don't think that is allowed here...

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I figured as much, it's times like these where I wish I practiced a bit more in scripting,

If I had some money in I would be more than happy to actually comission someone to do this for me... I don't think that is allowed here...
You have access to the classifieds forum, you can ask there.

Panda_Artist

Humble RPG Fan
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I found a script that does exactly this...

however... when I tested it it seems like the skill does not affect both users and it depends on who casts it first

is there a way to make it so the MP/TP/HP Cost of the skill affects both characters who activate the skill?

is there a way to modify the script so it can override the original skill costs of each spell and register only the cost of the combo skill for both characters using it?

I made it so Fire + Ice and Ice + Fire will activate the same skill... maybe it's causing some interference.

Last edited:

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You should just need to add one line after or before line 101
@subject.pay_skill_cost($data_skills[new_skill])

Panda_Artist

Humble RPG Fan
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You should just need to add one line after or before line 101
@subject.pay_skill_cost($data_skills[new_skill])

I managed to make it work but now it STILL registers the cost of the skill for one of the battlers... example

when I select x's Fire and y's Ice... Fire costs 4 MP, they both lose 20 MP from the combo attack but the first user to select a skill (in this case x) still loses their 4 MP from the Fire spell used to combine with Ice...

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Because it's paid in the previous method.
I would make a small modification and switch two lines

Swap line 46 & 47
then add onto the new 47 && !@subject.current_action.combo
So it should look like this
Ruby:
    if @subject.current_action
      item = @subject.current_action.item
      check_for_combo
      @subject.pay_skill_cost(item) if item.is_a?(RPG::Skill) && !@subject.current_action.combo
      if @subject.current_action.combo
Untested, but should work.

Panda_Artist

Humble RPG Fan
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thank you so much for this. I promise to let you know if I have any issues.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Hmm... Mushrooms, maybe they're not poisonous...
unknown.png
Hi, I'm a new and upcoming Indie Developer, and I could really use some help when it comes to system programming. Explorers can only go so far before needing a map, you know?
I made a comic strip with the characters of my game.Flor en la cola eng.jpg
Hey, what does it mean in settings, privacy, where it says allow users to: view your identities??????????
I have returned yet again. No reason for my hiatus; just got distracted by video games and stuff. I figured out how to make a bootleg Ys 1 Battle system using in engine scripting (The only plugin enabled is the HUD thing).
Unfortunately I have no idea how to program but-stabbing as a crit without it being even more complicated to program so this is it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taler1980