RMVXA Phantea - An RPG without levels (Demo) (update 0.2.1 - 06/07/2019)

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by DiegoBinder, Jun 2, 2019.

Tags:
  1. DiegoBinder

DiegoBinder Villager Member

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    So this is my first game ever...here is an explanation of how it works...

The two most important things about this game is that:

1 - You don't level up, you don't earn experience or gold by fighting monsters. The only way to get stronger is by exploring and finding skills, crafting recipes, etc... Monsters only drop crafting materials.

2- This game deals with small numbers...you won't be dealing hundreds of damage....so you can have more control over the battle and prepare yourself more strategically. Even your items are limited and can only be refilled at your home base.

The story: Each area (continent) of the world is ruled by one phanteon of Deities and angels from mythologies and religions from our world (Nordic, Cristian, Hindu, Egyptian and Greek). All Deities lived in harmony, but suddenly all of them became corrupted and they wiped out most of the population of the world. So now you have to go around the world and try to find the few survivors that still exists and find out what happened

The demo contains the 3 first areas completed. It should end after you beat the third boss...

You only control four characters from the start...their stats are based on what they have equiped

You need to craft every piece of equipement, you can find crafting ressources by exploring and defeating enemies

The skills you can use depends on what weapons you are equiping at the moment...you can change weapons at any time to adapt to any situations

Fight God's archangels, mythologic Deities and creatures from various Phanteons

Hope you enjoy it, and please give me feedback on anything that I can improve

Download:

https://diego-binder.itch.io/phantea

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    atoms, Jeremiah Eastman and BlueMage like this.
  2. DiegoBinder

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Update (ver 0.2. 06/06/2019)

- Added the ship and a small part of the northern continent
    - Added a teleporting system for fast travel (unlock after the academy of magic).
    - Completed the academy of magic

[​IMG]

3. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Welp, it's unlucky for me that you just updated since I downloaded and played the previous version yesterday. So I have some feedback, but I'm sorry if you've already fixed the issues in the update. :rswt
    The demo starts by just dropping the player onto a map without any intro. That's not a great way to get people interested in the game. You don't need to have a full introduction to the character and world, but at least a message from you the dev letting them know that the game's a work-in-progress is better than nothing.

Mapping needs a lot of work. Large empty spaces aren't fun to walk around, and it honestly makes the game feel slower because the player has to spend so much time walking through empty space in the house or town. A good rule of thumb is that each tile is 3 feet by 3 feet (basing that on the fact a lot of small beds are roughly 6 feet long, so it's not super accurate but it gives you a starting point), so just look how big that would make this room!
    room too big.png
    That's huge! Don't be afraid to have small maps, especially for places where the player isn't battling enemies. There's also a bit of strange logic in this map, why can the player only heal at the straw bed, and not the nice one? If there's a reason for it, commenting on it in-game would help explain things as well as giving you a place to do some minor world-building.

Shifting gears to combat, the battles need an overhaul. Low numbers in fights is totally fine, and something I appreciate seeing, but if you're not having levels to increase the player's strength then you have to make sure that every enemy drops something. The RNG gods do not like me, which meant that I could fight three bat battles without ever getting a drop. ;_; If I was playing this just for fun, I would have closed the game right there because the battles were wasting my time. Each enemy should always drop at least one thing, because there's really no reason to force the player to fight tons of battles just to get the one or two crafting items they need.

I ended up stopping after losing to a fight with Chibby. I had equipped everyone with swords and clothes, but Chibby could deal 8 damage per turn, which meant that he could kill off characters quickly. And since I didn't want to keep battling and not get crafting items from some of the fights I decided to stop.

There were a few bugs I came across. Opening the bestiary when there's nothing in it can cause the game to crash when the player tries to exit, strangely enough. The was a book that says the team learned Heal in the abandoned village, but none of the characters seemed to actually learn the skill because it was a Magic skill and they only had Special as an option.

Overall I can see that you've put work into this game, but it really needs to be tightened up so that the player can have an enjoyable experience. Please keep in mind that ditching a leveling system means that you need to be fair to your players when it comes to item drops. Good luck with your project! :rwink:

atoms likes this.
  4. DiegoBinder

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    You are the second person to tell me about the intro thing lol...I promisse I have a full intro planed...I just didn't implement it yet...but you gave me a good ideia and until the intro cutscene is done I will add something smaller.

Alexandria is supposed to be big because one of the mechanics in this game is that you save people and as you do they will build their homes and stuff...in the end Alexandria will be a complete town...the problem is that I don't know how big yet because I still don't know how many people is going to move to Alexandria....I will "fence" the player in the demo then...so they can't run around the giant empty space until I decide what to do with it...

Bat wings have 1 in 2 chance of dropping...how did you not get one? :LZYshock: With that said...most monster have an 1 in 2 chance of dropping their loot...some have a more difficult loot but they never go beyond 1 in 4...my ideia is that you should explore everywhere...there is a cave in eastern forest that has a very high spawn rate of bats, and also has a place where you can find some bat wings on the ground (near the dead hunter)

You need a staff to use spells...there is a note next to the chest where you get the first sword that explain how skill works...I've added a more indept explanation for the next patch...you can use skills that are on the equipement freely (wooden helmet has very useful skill on it)

With that said...equiping everybody with swords was probably your downfall...swords are the more "balanced" weapons in the game...you should equipe each one with a different kind of weapon...the axe deals more demage...the bow has a skill that slow enemies down and hit's everybody (if you find it in the forest) and so on...you should mix and match to find a more suitable strategy...you can also scan the boss and after learning it's weakness try again if you are defeated...there really ins't much of a penalty for dieing

I will look into the bestiary crash

Thanks a lot for the feedback...it really helped =)

5. hiddenone

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Building a town can be a fun mechanic, but there's the issue of having so much emptiness before the building can happen. I'd suggest changing the layout so that the house and crafting building are much closer to the map's exit and then eventually expanding the town north of those buildings. That way you can still show some of the space that will be build on, but the player doesn't have to traverse all the empty area in the beginning.

I have really, really bad luck in games. :rswt I think I was getting a wing every 4-5 bats in the beginning, which made starting out feel really slow. I explored the cave in the forest and got those wings on the ground, but even the higher spawn rate didn't give me too many more wings. I think it would be best if every enemy had one thing that always dropped (so a bat wing for bats), and then whatever chance you want for an extra part (think about it, bats have two wings so it would make sense for there to be a possibility of getting two from one bat) or special things. You may need to spend some more time balancing crafting recipes to keep things from being too easy, but it would make battles feel more worth it in the long run.

Ah, I never got a staff so I didn't consider that I'd need one to use Heal. I made a bow but that didn't give me another skill, so I didn't think it was worth it to make weapons other than swords (also, I only had the resources to make those for everybody :rswt). I made one wooden helmet, but the skill didn't seem all that useful to me... I did only try it on Chibby though, so that may be why it seemed not worth it.

I just found a strange issue, and I'm not sure if the game or my computer, but I can't seem to load games... Which makes it tough for me to double-check things, and is really bad if it happens to other players. I don't have any idea why it's happening, but you may want to see if it happens to you or anyone else.

Again, good luck improving your game! :rwink:

6. DiegoBinder

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I fixed everything mentioned in your post except for the saving problem...I can't figure it out no matter what...it only happens if you have a recipe book in your inventory, then you just can't load =( I have no ideia what to do =( I am feeling completely lost here =(

Edit: I am using this crafting script...I was going to contact the guy but he doesn't log in since 2018...I don't know what to do =( If I can't fix this I will have to shut down this game

https://www.rpgmakercentral.com/topic/18164-crafting-system/

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  7. hiddenone

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It must have something to do with the script you're using for crafting then, though I have no idea how that could happen. If you can't figure it out, then maybe ask for help in the Script Support section? Someone may be able to help if you link the script there and explain what's not working right.

8. DiegoBinder

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Sorry for updating this thread so frequently...but seeing as the game was not properly working I hope the moderators understand...I promisse to respect the 3 days rule next time

Update 0.2.1
    - The save feature is now working
    - I had to rework how consumable items work
    - Some field colectables were removed (since now they are completely useles)

9. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    You can add more info in less than 3 days if no one else has posted by using the Edit button on your post. Most people type EDIT and then add the info to make it clear that it's an update like this -

EDIT
    New stuff here