Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Disclaimer: Religious topics and some swearing

This is my first game, I am doing my best to improve it and make it as fun as possible, I'll be happy to hear any feedback =)

Phantea, a world ruled by 5 pantheons of Deities, each one coexisting in peace and harmony, until a sixth pantheon decides to atack causing an unprecedented catastrophe...now it's up to the last remaining humans to save the world and restore balance to the universe...

- Open world exploration (After the 3rd dungeon the world open up completely)

- No level ups and no experience, you increase your stats by exploring and completing quests.

- No random encounters, enemies have overworld sprites and different behaviors. All of them can be dogged if you are skilled enough

Monsters.png

- A simple crafting system

Crafting.png

- Develop your town by finding new survivors, each unlocking new features for your town

Vilage 1.png

Volage 2.png
- Explore the world to find new skills (Over 50 skills currently implemented with many more coming).

Skill Learn.png

- Fast paced ATB battles with many custom animations for skills and small numbers of damage for more balanced and controlled fights.

Skill use.png

- This demo is around 3 to 5 hours...I hope you like it and be sure to give me some feedback =)

-Download link

Last edited:

Binder28

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Update 0.1
- You can actually use gemstones with whips now
- Corrected some typos
- Added a storage system to the game
- Changed music from deep mines and the greek continent battle to non-rtp songs.
- Added some new animations to the staff weapon and the poison atack
- Slightly decreased some game sound effects and music

Binder28

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Update 0.2

Enemies now all have overworld sprites...most of them done by me...they are based of Thalzon monster battlers...THIS IS ONLY IMPLEMENTED IN THE FIRST TWO AREAS OF THE GAME...I am working on the next ones...
Enemies.png

New menu border...thanks to Candacis for the base...I've edited over it...

Menu.png

David now has the bard subclass...unlocked after defeating the first major boss...I plan for each character to have at least 2 subclasses
Bard.png

- I have added Yanflies system options...the game is set to "autorun" but that can be changed from the menu...along with other options.

- Inventory now is much more organized and with less confusing and unnecessary options...

Binder28

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Update 0.3

- Succoth and The great Sphinx now have overworld monsters and no more random battles (only three areas left)

- Added post battle coments to the characters

Beregon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi, haven't played much, only defeated the first boss in the cave in the forest. It has potential and I like some of the custom art (like the rotating planet) and the plethora of animated enemies and critters on the map, but there's still some things that could be improved.

The intro calls the planet Panthea, though the game is name Phantea? Is that deliberate or a typo? Tbh, I think Panthea fits better, but up to you.

Beowulf is called Bewolf in-game.

Certain maps are too big and empty and it makes them look ugly. The perfect example is the house you start the game in. The bedroom is seriously massive with lots of unused space, looking more like the entrance hall in some mansion. The Bathroom is way too long and the Kitchen is way too big and empty too. My recommendation would be to make these areas smaller, so they don't feel out-of-place.

While I am at the subject of mapping... well, it could certainly use improvements. For example, the game uses wall tiles for right and left edges of the screen on some maps and it... doesn't look good. Once again, the starting house is the perfect example. I'd recommend you stick with the intended way and use the ceiling tiles instead.

Same with the "bookshelves" inside the wall. Due to the perspective, it just makes it look weird. Another gripe is that under the doors of certain buildings, there's a grass tile? Better way to do it would be either sticking a door tile there (the pitch black one) or whatever the inside floor looks like.

In the destroyed village, inside what I suspect is the "church", there are no ceiling tiles at all, just wall tiles that look flat and about the same height as the floor tiles, which makes it look really weird.

Also, you can walk on certain tiles on the walls for some reason. Like the window in the Crafting building.

As for the forest map, it was pretty difficult to determine where you are able/supposed to walk and what's just a part of the background scenery.

Now, for the story, honestly, the dialogue is pretty rough so far, but ok for a first draft. To be honest, the intro was pretty surreal after the opening bit with the rotating planet, that pulsating purple meteor looked kinda funny to me and the scene where Zeus tried to zap it... I don't know why, but it looked kinda silly. And tbh, I think it would look better if in the meteor-zapping scene, the meteor was to the right of the planet instead of to the left. I mean, the intro shows the meteor travelling from the right, yet in that scene it suddenly looks like the meteor came from the left and even the pulsating part of the meteor is facing away from the planet, like the meteor did a complete 180.

The meteor scene combined with the tone of the dialogue of the deities and the "did we four just sleep in the same bed" intro line made me suspect the story wasn't supposed to be really serious, but what came after seemed to go the complete opposite way.

I mean, after I left the tutorial area, my first destination was the "Destroyed Village" area, which seemed to come straight out of a horror game. It gave off a completely different vibe to what seemed to be shaping up to be a relatively lighthearted, a bit silly RPG.

The heroes could use more personality, so far, they don't really feel much different from one another and it's a shame, given that they are based on mythological figures, like Beowulf. Now, there's definitely an effort there, with the Camping scene and the random lines they get after winning a battle, but... it feels like something's missing.

Also, maybe have the heroes start out with more skills? So far, the only thing you really needed to do was use Attack, except on the boss.

I'll see if I can play through the rest of the demo sometime.

Binder28

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thanks a lot for being the first one to say something about my game...I was beggining to think that nobody was really playing it =) ....so about the things you said I am going to respond to all of them...

Beowulf is called Bewolf in-game.
The intro calls the planet Panthea, though the game is name Phantea? Is that deliberate or a typo? Tbh, I think Panthea fits better, but up to you.
Those were typos...thanks a lot and they will be fixed...

Certain maps are too big and empty and it makes them look ugly. The perfect example is the house you start the game in. The bedroom is seriously massive with lots of unused space, looking more like the entrance hall in some mansion. The Bathroom is way too long and the Kitchen is way too big and empty too. My recommendation would be to make these areas smaller, so they don't feel out-of-place.
That's a problem I can't really see the solution...you see that's because one of the mechanics of the game is finding more people and the town will change with time...there are at least two more people that will be in the main house and they will have beds and some other stuff lying around that appears after you save them...that's why they feel empty...there will be stuff and people there latter on...( as a matter of fact after you save Sarah the kitchen itself will change a little...but not much still)

In the destroyed village, inside what I suspect is the "church", there are no ceiling tiles at all, just wall tiles that look flat and about the same height as the floor tiles, which makes it look really weird
I have an excuse for that lol...I started making this game more than a year ago...I sucked at everything (trust me...the game was waaay rougher)...But the first 3 areas were desgined...I stopped the development because some stuff happened and I started again during the pandemic (about 2 to 3 months ago)...I've redesigned some maps and stuff...but I totally forgot to redesign the town...that's why they look pretty bad...I will definitely change them...thanks for the heads up...

Also, you can walk on certain tiles on the walls for some reason. Like the window in the Crafting building.
That's just me being dumb and forgeting to put colision on the tileset menu...thanks for the warning =)

Now, for the story, honestly, the dialogue is pretty rough so far, but ok for a first draft. To be honest, the intro was pretty surreal after the opening bit with the rotating planet, that pulsating purple meteor looked kinda funny to me and the scene where Zeus tried to zap it... I don't know why, but it looked kinda silly. And tbh, I think it would look better if in the meteor-zapping scene, the meteor was to the right of the planet instead of to the left. I mean, the intro shows the meteor travelling from the right, yet in that scene it suddenly looks like the meteor came from the left and even the pulsating part of the meteor is facing away from the planet, like the meteor did a complete 180.

The meteor scene combined with the tone of the dialogue of the deities and the "did we four just sleep in the same bed" intro line made me suspect the story wasn't supposed to be really serious, but what came after seemed to go the complete opposite way.

I mean, after I left the tutorial area, my first destination was the "Destroyed Village" area, which seemed to come straight out of a horror game. It gave off a completely different vibe to what seemed to be shaping up to be a relatively lighthearted, a bit silly RPG.
I am sorry but the meteor is facing the same direction both times...it is definitely facing right and coming from the left on both scenes...I actually checked after your reply and they are right...so I don't get what happened here....I didn't even made a version of the meteor that face the opposite direction

Edit: Now I understand...that part you call "pulsating part" is supposed to be the "tail".

Andromeda is supposed to me awkward...she is the odd one out...that's why she made an strange comment like that...as for the tone...I want the tone of the game to be mixed...it will have a more lighthearted tone to it...but there will be dark moments in the middle...

As for the forest map, it was pretty difficult to determine where you are able/supposed to walk and what's just a part of the background scenery.
I don't understand this...why was it difficult? The only walls are trees and rocks...(And the occasional bush)

The heroes could use more personality, so far, they don't really feel much different from one another and it's a shame, given that they are based on mythological figures, like Beowulf. Now, there's definitely an effort there, with the Camping scene and the random lines they get after winning a battle, but... it feels like something's missing.
The do get more development...and the characters in the village do too...they just need to know each other a little more...after you save more people (even tough there aren't that many yet) and explore they will talk more and get to know each other more...they actually get some events (both the residents and the heroes)

Also, maybe have the heroes start out with more skills? So far, the only thing you really needed to do was use Attack, except on the boss.
There's around 40 to 50 learneable skills in the game implemented right now...you learn a few at the start but you will learn a lot while you play...specially for the whip (the blue mage style)...individual characters will get their own "special" equipement that will work as a sort of subclass for them...for now only david's bard class in implemented...

Anyway....thanks a lot for playing my game and replying...it meant a lot to me =) I will definitely be looking intosome of the things you told me...see you...there will probably be another update in some a week or so...=)

Last edited:

Beregon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Ok, maybe that cutscene thing was on me. To be honest, I don't remember it now. :)

1) The large room issue could be solved simply by having several smaller rooms instead of one giant one. Maybe instead of some weird oversized house with only one floor and 2 large rooms + bathroom, that mansion-looking large house could be a proper mansion, with lots of rooms and multiple floors? Even if most rooms lacked furniture at the start until you upgrade it, it would look much better.

2) For the forest... the trees and such fade into the background, making it quite difficult to make out some of the narrow gaps you are supposed to get through. I missed the southern exit to the frog swamp area where you are actually supposed to go because of that. Not to mention the areas beyond the trees where there's flat grass and not much else, there's no way to tell if those are supposed to be reachable later on or if those are inaccessible. One of those was a sign near what I think was a gap between the trees, suggesting it might lead to a different area, but both were located behind a wall of trees, so inaccessible?
If the areas are supposed to be inaccessible, maybe make them heavily forested, to make it more obvious that it's not the way to go. Or maybe add some dirt roads.

3) As for the heroes lacking personality, well, I know I am at the very start, but there's already some things I can evaluate. I mean, Beowulf talks pretty much the same as everyone else, I'd expect him to sound a bit more, dunno, regal, boisterous, maybe you could even differentiate their speech patterns a bit? I know english isn't your first language and this kind of thing isn't easy, but their speech sounds a bit too plain. Even if they don't know each other, their personalities, different backgrounds and cultures should be showing a bit more than now. Though I am probably a bit more focused on that because they are figures from mythology and not a custom RPG protagonist, that is a total blank slate. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's actually a decent first draft. At first, I thought it was gonna be one of those RPGs where the story is minimal and the focus is on the mechanics, but it seems obvious that you do care about and intend to develop it further and have the heroes form some kind of friendship instead of being together just cause of reasons.

4) As for the tone, well, it's fine, honestly, but I feel it goes from cheezy and lighthearted to dark and gritty too fast. Or atleast, the whole Destroyed Village part could use more context. There's not that much dialogue there or even a point to be there save for looting the place and getting some foreshadowing about a boss you might have already fought. Maybe there's something there later, I don't know. It feels like a jarring moment too divorced from the actual story, where you are meant to go save the Alchemist in the forest first.

Binder28

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Ok, maybe that cutscene thing was on me. To be honest, I don't remember it now. :)

1) The large room issue could be solved simply by having several smaller rooms instead of one giant one. Maybe instead of some weird oversized house with only one floor and 2 large rooms + bathroom, that mansion-looking large house could be a proper mansion, with lots of rooms and multiple floors? Even if most rooms lacked furniture at the start until you upgrade it, it would look much better.

2) For the forest... the trees and such fade into the background, making it quite difficult to make out some of the narrow gaps you are supposed to get through. I missed the southern exit to the frog swamp area where you are actually supposed to go because of that. Not to mention the areas beyond the trees where there's flat grass and not much else, there's no way to tell if those are supposed to be reachable later on or if those are inaccessible. One of those was a sign near what I think was a gap between the trees, suggesting it might lead to a different area, but both were located behind a wall of trees, so inaccessible?
If the areas are supposed to be inaccessible, maybe make them heavily forested, to make it more obvious that it's not the way to go. Or maybe add some dirt roads.

3) As for the heroes lacking personality, well, I know I am at the very start, but there's already some things I can evaluate. I mean, Beowulf talks pretty much the same as everyone else, I'd expect him to sound a bit more, dunno, regal, boisterous, maybe you could even differentiate their speech patterns a bit? I know english isn't your first language and this kind of thing isn't easy, but their speech sounds a bit too plain. Even if they don't know each other, their personalities, different backgrounds and cultures should be showing a bit more than now. Though I am probably a bit more focused on that because they are figures from mythology and not a custom RPG protagonist, that is a total blank slate. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's actually a decent first draft. At first, I thought it was gonna be one of those RPGs where the story is minimal and the focus is on the mechanics, but it seems obvious that you do care about and intend to develop it further and have the heroes form some kind of friendship instead of being together just cause of reasons.

4) As for the tone, well, it's fine, honestly, but I feel it goes from cheezy and lighthearted to dark and gritty too fast. Or atleast, the whole Destroyed Village part could use more context. There's not that much dialogue there or even a point to be there save for looting the place and getting some foreshadowing about a boss you might have already fought. Maybe there's something there later, I don't know. It feels like a jarring moment too divorced from the actual story, where you are meant to go save the Alchemist in the forest first.
1- I like your ideia with the multiple floors and stuff...I will redesgin it a little bit...

2- I agree with the inaccessible areas being oppened being a little confusing...that happened because in te first drafts there would be some critters running out of there....but since I implemented overworld monsters I removed the critters to not cause confusion...I didn't think the open areas would be a problem...but it makes total sense...I will feel then up with trees and stuff =)

Edit: Forgot to mention...that area with the sign is supposed to be an area you unlock latter on...but it's not implemented yet that is why it's closed off....I was thinking about making it the last area of the demo...a harder area you'll need to come back to...(though I don't want my game to be full of backtraking...since it's in the first area I don't think it's a bad ideia)...

3- To tell you the truth...there isn't that much character development for Bewulf yet...each character will get more development in their own continent (wich becomes more accessible after the 3rd dungeon) and you will know a little more about their culture in each too...exept Bewulf...the dungeon on his continent has nothing to do with his story...but he does get some development in another area though...in the full game each character will even have dungeons dedicated to their development (Andromeda kinda already has one)...

4- There is a very important event that I don't want to spoil here later on in the destroyed town...After some time I even think about rebuilding it to acomodate some of the survivors you find....(But this is just and ideia for now)...but yes...there is more stuff there...

I think I may be having a problem with to much stuff being in the future and not enough in the beggining? I don't know lol...a lot of the stuff you are saying I feel like it happens...I just didn't "telegraph" it well enough

I think I got a little better at mapping on the second dungeon (the deep mines)...if you could take a look at that later it would be nice =) thanks again for the replies....

Last edited:

Beregon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Tbh, I think that a lot of the stuff at the beginning makes it a little bit too obvious that you made them a long time ago, before you improved. It would be a good idea to focus on improving the first 30 minutes or so of the game to make sure the players get a good first impression of the game. It might get totally awesome later on, but people with less tolerance would just look at the layout of the starting house and some of the minor issues and stop playing.

Binder28

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Update 0.4
- Reworked some of the starting areas to be smaller and with less open space.
- Added overworld monsters to the magic academy
- Fixed small graphical bugs and tylesets inconsistencies
- Corrected some typos

Beregon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I dont see any download there anymore?

Binder28

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I dont see any download there anymore?
Thanks for the warning...I accidentally clicked on the "hide this file" button on itch.io like a complete dumbass....the download button should be there now lol

Binder28

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Update 0.5
- Added overworld enemies to the mountain climb
- Added stepping sounds
- Fixed some tilesets errors and typos
- Made some small changes to some areas

(Edit: I Have also edited the main post...I hope it's not a problem...I've just tried to make the game a little more apealing and added some more features to the description)

Binder28

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Update 0.6

- Added overworld monsters to Athens (but there will still be more changes there)
-Changed some earlier maps slightly
-Changed some music
-Changed some dialogs

It's been some time since I last updated here...that's because I just got married and with that a lot of sutff happened...anyway now I am back...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

being able to transition music seamlessly is amazing. my main character's theme has lyrics and it goes from vocal version to istrumental when he leaves his room. and vice versa. and thanks to a plugin, the transition is seamless. I love it.
All of the auditions for our game are so good, I'm so glad I'm not in charge of choosing completely. lol I just can't with some of them. I listen to them on repeat. XD
Working on a Patch to integrate AlphaABS into random generated Dungeons. Was a bit tricky, but the outcome is a real Life Changer!!

Will release it the next days!
Been pretty busy... but I got a better headset for recording and listening today. Dad says that he'll consider taking me to Great Wolf Lodge for the first time once I finish summer classes (my final semester!) I'll be taking my plushie friends with me: Bendy, Lolbit, and Helen Henny. (I WUV PLUSHIES!)
SF_Monster3,4 added!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mezzy