Seacliff

RPG Maker Mastermind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Yes
Primarily Uses
RM2k
Phantom.Negative is a retro styled game inspired by older NES RPGs such as Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest/Warrior. The game takes many visual and system design choices based on these older games (except random encounters, screw those) and tries to emulate them while running on the very limited, yet nostalgic, RPG Maker 2000. The game was created in a little less than 3 weeks.

The settlement of Seacliff is a realm ruled by the Branchaline Empire. Kairos, lord of Seacliff and son of the emperor of Branchaline, is sicken by his father’s tyranny and wants to make Seacliff an independent nation. The emperor finds out about Kairos’s plans to break away from the empire and demands that he continues to rule Seacliff under the empire’s name or he will turn the entire nation into ashes.

Kairos may have some of the world’s strongest warriors under him, but they are no match to the empire’s numbers. However, Kairos is aware of a legend passed down by the land’s natives about an incredible power underneath the ancient ruins. Kairos off on an adventure to find this power, hoping it will at least deflect the power of the empire.

Kairos: Lord of Seacliff and son of the emperor of Branchaline. He cares for his subjects but will do anything to get his way.

Evelyn: Kairos’s strongest warrior. She lives by the sword and is willing to die if it made to world a better place.

Gawyne: A priest who collects information under Kairos’s orders. He’s extremely casual, even to his lord, and loves to get drunk.

Seacliff: Kairos’s daughter. Kairos named the land he discovered after her.

Download HERE

The game, for the most part, should be bugless. However, if someone does encounter a bug, spelling error, or any other issues, feel free to let me know and I'll update the game with all the reported problems at once.

Please enjoy! :elwink:

Update. Version 1.1:
-Fixed some bugs, spelling, and gammer errors. Thank you, Shayoko, for listing them out for me.
-New icons for battles and menus.

Last edited:

Jef299

Fifteen Mush-ups!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
This RPG caught me off Guard!

Very fun little adventure. Likeable characters.
I don't like pig men though - because they obliterated me!

All in all, fun little game.

A+ for retro graphics/music

Seacliff

RPG Maker Mastermind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Yes
Primarily Uses
RM2k
@Jef299 Hey, thanks for the feedback. Glad you enjoyed it.
I'll be sure to rebalance the pig men in a future update.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Nice to see this come to completion. Congratulations.

shayoko

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thoughts
i didn't really care for this experience since it was mainly battle focused. it might be more enjoyable for those newer to RPGs that aren't looking for a interesting story or characters.

Lets have a moment of silence for the poor girl named seacliff... may she have a bright future even with such a embarrassing name.
also weird how she apparently has the same name as this island if i understand correctly

i liked how the skill learning was handled

ether seems to restore less MP when used in battle compared to out of battle

the motus fight was stupid...there was nor reason we should of fought her. whats worse is it's a illusion that can hurt us...
she has the audacity to request a favor after wasting our time with a battle...
at least we didn't have to go through more fighting to achieve her favor.

Last edited:

Seacliff

RPG Maker Mastermind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Yes
Primarily Uses
RM2k
Thoughts
i didn't really care for this experience since it was mainly battle focused. it might be more enjoyable for those newer to RPGs that aren't looking for a interesting story or characters.
That's fine. I'm not particularly offended if this wasn't your cup of tea since this was just a side-project.

I'll make a quick response to your other response.
Lets have a moment of silence for the poor girl named seacliff... may she have a bright future even with such a embarrassing name.

I won't deny it's weird. She probably just lives in a family of weird names. I mean, who names their child Kairos? And what kind of last name is Branchaline?

also weird how she apparently has the same name as this island if i understand correctly

This is correct. My username was named after Seacliff (the nation) and in-universe the nation was named after Seacliff. This is actually a prequel to an unfinished game I released a demo of last year. The setting is 2500 years before that. You'll probably notice it takes place on the same island with the same general locations. I was unsatisfied with this previous project and decided to rebuild it after finishing Flip Dimensions, but I thought it would be more fun to do this game first.

i liked how the skill learning was handled

Glad you liked it. I wanted something unique other than leveling up for a skill system, at least for a RPG Maker 2k game.

was there suppose to be a 4th party member?

Seacliff is the 4th member. You recruit her right before the third dungeon. Did you not get her? She's suppose to be blocking the way to your room on the way their. Maybe there was a glitch, I'll look into her switch.

ether seems to restore less MP when used in battle compared to out of battle

My guess is that you are using ether with it restoring less MP than what it's designed to heal, as designed by RPG2K. If you are short 5MP and used an ether, even if the ether is suppose to restore 10 MP it, it'll still say 'restored 5MP'.

the motus fight was stupid...there was nor reason we should of fought her. whats worse is it's a illusion that can hurt us...
she has the audacity to request a favor after wasting our time with a battle...
at least we didn't have to go through more fighting to achieve her favor.

Well... I needed something for a final boss. It would be boring if you were just able to walk through. I could do something after Kairos gets superpowers, but that would be hard to either balance or make believable. But still a fair critique.

Seacliff

RPG Maker Mastermind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Yes
Primarily Uses
RM2k
Update. Version 1.1:
-Fixed some bugs, spelling, and gammer errors. Thank you, Shayoko, for listing them out for me.
-New icons for battles and menus.

Since 2k's RTP is small. There will also be one download that comes with the RTP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

YES! officially released my games soundtrack on Itunes, Spotify, and Amazon..... kinda cool!

Another old age version of Reid. Trying out different style.
Hey everyone! Not sure how many people know about Cafofo Music on Itch.io, but I highly recommend their Sound Effects! It is amazing quality AND quantity and best of all, they are having a 50% sale! I can't express how much I love sales.
Wow.... My last map GIF got 47 likes, 16 retweet and 2,105 views on Twitter in 24 hours. My game thread here's only got 3k views in 6-7 months. I guess building my Twitter was insanely worth it. :LZSexcite:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZeoValinferno