Phoenix Wright/Professor Layton Style Gameplay?

SebazWorld

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd like to make a interactive story game like The Walking Dead or The Wolf Among Us and I'd like the gameplay to be like Phoenix Wright or Professor Layton games. What I mean by this is on the screen I want there to be three options: Talk, Move, and Look. Is there any way to do this without showing choices every time? And I want them to be in the middle of the screen just like Phoenix Wright. How would I go about doing this?

EternalShadow

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Galv's visual novel script?

P.S: How do you plan to show the 3 options without showing choices every time?

SebazWorld

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks. (And I dunno, a script? It's a little annoying to have to do it for every map.)

RadiantCadenza

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
For the three choices, you could event them easily enough. You would have to copy-paste the event system into every map, which is slightly annoying, but it would allow you a large degree of customization with minimal scripting. Try looking up a few tutorials for event-based menus and you can probably just make a much more simplified version of that. 

That gameplay style might pair well with a mouse script, as well. 

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You can assign three different buttons to "Talk", "Move", and "Look".

If the idea is that these commands can all be used anywhere, on any tile, then just create the appropriate handlers in the "update" method of Scene_Map to check if Input.trigger?:)X) where X can be replaced with the symbol of the key you want the player to use for an action.  Or, if you're not comfortable at all with scripting, you can go with the less elegant, more system-intensive route of creating Parallel Process Common Events that loop every 5 frames and then check (via conditional branch) to see if a certain button is being pressed, and run the appropriate logic if they are.

If the idea is that "Talk", "Move", and "Look" all refer to things the player can only do to interact with another object/person that they have walked up to, then you should use Hime's Event Trigger Labels script.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
FYI, the type of interaction your talking about is an adventure game.

SebazWorld

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I dunno but I'm not gonna do it so the player can move around, when they select move it will give them a list of areas they can go.

EternalShadow

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I dunno but I'm not gonna do it so the player can move around, when they select move it will give them a list of areas they can go.
OH, NOW I UNDERSTAND!

First, find a script that allows more than 4 options

Second, make a few blank black maps

Third, find one map you want your player to emerge from (for example, map A) 

Fourth, name one of the blank maps [from A to Z] and autorun-event in some choices of where to move to, EXCLUDING A (Unless you want the player to be able to move back to A straight away, in which case ignore the second/third step and just use one blank black map)

Then use 'transfer player' on map A to take the player to the blank black map where they make the movement choice, and 'transfer player' upon choices made.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Last part of OcRam Obfuscator sneek peaks!
YES! officially released my games soundtrack on Itunes, Spotify, and Amazon..... kinda cool!

Another old age version of Reid. Trying out different style.
Hey everyone! Not sure how many people know about Cafofo Music on Itch.io, but I highly recommend their Sound Effects! It is amazing quality AND quantity and best of all, they are having a 50% sale! I can't express how much I love sales.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradzackyle