Photoshop filter for MV artistic style to XP?

Discussion in 'Resource Support' started by Moe_Lester13, May 14, 2019.

1. Moe_Lester13

Moe_Lester13 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hey guys,

May be a bit of a stretch here but thought I would ask anyway. I am making a game in MV with all maps parallaxed, which is going along great. Because of who I am as a person, I am using the XP tileset (I own XP, don't worry) for my games base, as I love the artistic style of those tilesets. My problem now though, is that I would like incorporate some of MV's resources from the RTP, just for a bit of diversity, but alas there is a kind of noticeable difference in between the two tilesets.

My question here is, would anyone have a pre-made filter, or steps, which would filter the MV image to look more in tune with the art style of the XP tileset? I have attached a photo below as a reference (please ignore the map, it's very fresh). The building on the left is the MV one, while everything else is XP.

Anybody that would be willing to help, or point me in the right direction would be absolutely amazing.
    Regards,
    Will

Attached Files:

• TC.jpg
      TC.jpg
      File size:
      425.9 KB
      Views:
  2. Ebanyle

Ebanyle Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    There's probably some filter to make it more blurry, but I'm guessing that those tilesets need to be redrawn...
    But you can try adjusting it's contrast and saturation, any image editor should be able to do it.

Moe_Lester13 likes this.
  3. miani

miani Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    You can use "Oil Paint..." filter, but some details may disappear and adjustments would be needed. If you're going in that way it's a good idea to use the filter in MV tiles too, everything will be more uniform.

Moe_Lester13 likes this.
  4. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    You could probably figure out a process to convert XP to something that better fits with MV, but it can't really be done the other way around. It's just the nature of pixel art, each pixel is placed purposefully. Computers aren't even there yet with brush strokes (although they're getting close). Add to that is the fact that other than being a tileset, there's nothing stylistically similar about the two. It'd be cool if there was a one click "pixel art" option out there, but it doesn't exist. If it did I would absolutely be using it to speed up my workflow.

However, if you just want something that can be used in small amounts at a time and ignored at a glance you might be able to cobble something together. To do that you'd need to know which things are different in the styles, so if you're not an artist, it might not be possible, but it might be doable to an artist. Off the top of my head I know that you'd need to adjust the levels to alter the overall color scheme, do a noise filter (but only to some things) to add in that grainy texture, do some sort of color reduction to get the limited palette, maybe some sort of find outlines pass (though that one would be really, really tricky to get right since XP's outlines are colored and not very dark). There's also an app on itch.io that kinda turns stuff into very noisy pixel art which might get you a better head start. Honestly, I think it'd be way more trouble than it's worth even if you have the skills.

What I think would be a better option if you're looking for more tiles to work with would be to look for resources that are already pixel art. To start with, there are tons of edits and original tiles in the XP style already in existence. I think it's still the #1 engine for most available artwork in the same style. I suggest looking at what's here in the xp resources section, and checking out Slimm's thread about the terms of use for Japanese sites. The best XP resources I've seen have been on Japanese blogs. You can also look at other pixel art resources and do some tweaking of the colors and get it to better match XP's style. For something easy, the DS line of art packs all have a similar style already, so other than avoiding anything with obvious scale problems you really won't have to do very much to get it to work. I've also seen people use XP resources with Pixel Myth as well, so I wouldn't be surprised if it worked the other way around too.

Moe_Lester13 likes this.