oriongates

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm curious if anyone knows how to do this (assuming it can be done).

Is there a way, in photoshop, to create an image and basically "stamp" it onto a layer with one click.

For example, say I have a flower sprite. I want to scatter a few around my parallax map. Right now I have to copy the core image, then paste (creating a new layer), then manually adjust the object to the position I want.

I would love some way to just have an image saved, position it where I want with the mouse and click to "stamp" down the image.

I thought I hit on a clever solution with a pattern stamp tool (i.e. make image a pattern and then use the pattern stamp tool with a big enough brush) but it'll only operate in a grid formation (which I should have realized, given how patterns work).

Is there anyway to do this, it's one of those things that seems like it should be really easy.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
there is a core stamp tool (S) button.
you might need "Alt" to copy the image from it so you can use it to stamp around.
its below the penseel if I remember it correctly.

oriongates

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm familiar with the Clone Stamp tool, but it can't do what I'm talking about (unless there is some alternate function I'm unaware of).

The clone stamp lets me designate an existing portion of an image and then use it to "draw" that image elsewhere, using the Alt command designates the starting point of the clone relative to the point where you begin to draw the image, it then stays fixed at that relative position, so as you move the mouse it clones a different part of the image.

What I need is to essentially clone a "fixed" image which I can then freely replicate at the point of the cursor, then move the cursor to a different position and replicate it again, and again and again.

The idea is to make it easier to do things like scatter rocks or debris or plants across a map. So far, copying the map element I want and pasting it is the best option, but then I have to manually reposition it and then merge the layers. I'd like an option that cuts out the extra steps.

It's entirely possible this option doesn't exist, I'm just wondering if anyone with more photoshop knowledge than me knows a way to do it.

(I did try googling this, but the only term I can think of for what I want is a "stamp" and it just leads to a bunch of tutorials on how to make stamp images).

oriongates

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That is a super useful tutorial and I will be bookmarking that.

The main limitation is the fact that you're limited to a single color. So it'll probably work okay for things like rocks (especially if I can manage to engage some kind of shading effect as part of it), leaves, etc. But it doesn't look like it'll work for something like say...RTP's default pot or barrel image. Or something more distinctively colorful like a flower patch

Still, definitely a good thing to have in my arsenal of photoshop tricks, I wasn't aware of that technique.

xDRAGOONx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wish I knew more about photoshop, I pretty much only use GIMP for my edits since I really don't make much of my own artwork.

oriongates

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you know a way to do it in GIMP I'd be happy to hear it too, worst case scenario I can import the image to GIMP when it's time to pepper it with objects and/or it might help me figure out how to do the same thing in PS.

xDRAGOONx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, the easiest way for me is to copy the image I want to drop and then switch the selection tool. I'll highlight the general area I want to copy to and it centers it there when I paste. Then, It automatically switches to the move tool when I mouse over it, or the anchor tool if I'm not.

it's definitely more than one click but it's still pretty quick.

oriongates

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hmm, well if nothing else that might be a faster way to handle it in photoshop than what I'm doing now, so it's worth a shot.

It's weird, it seems like one of those features that would be super simple, but is surprisingly hard to do.

xDRAGOONx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I just discovered that you can create a custom brush in gimp from a clipboard image...it should work exactly how you need.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Big 10:40 composition of mine! I'll be using this for a big city in my current project! This track is huge, and took me one entire month of full time work to complete. If you want more info, like on the lyrics, check out this thread.
Balancing the Damage numbers in my Game's Battle System makes me feel like I'm some kind of a Math Genius @_@
Remember, you can enter up to THREE effects for a chance to win a copy of MZ! Only 11 submissions so far, the chances of winning is high! :D https://itch.io/jam/elfkisser
wake me up when Photoshop stop crashing everytime

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
octo