Photoshop VS Gimp

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by Endafy, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Endafy

Endafy Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Which do you prefer for content creation? I have used Gimp for everything since RPG Maker XP. It has served me well. I have the chance to get Photoshop CS6 extended on the cheap from a friend. My question is, is it worth it? Are they the same as far as RPG Maker is concerned?

Some thoughts from others who have experience with both would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance!

2. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I happen to like the workflow and setup of Photoshop better, but if you're already used to Gimp it may not be worth it. They do mostly the same things, I don't think there'd be any difference on what you could and couldn't do for making RM stuff.

3. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think that aside from personal preferences and what you've learned to use, there are basically two main differences between GIMP and Photoshop:

1) the price

2) compatibility in the professional sector

Most printing companies and large graphic companies use Photoshop instead of GIMP, and if you're planning on working with them (for example to have some company printing your works or selling your artwork to other companies), then it will be easier if you could get them the files with proper photoshop settings, especially if you can get it cheap.

If you're using it only for your own purpose, changing from GIMP to Photoshop might require more learning time that it's worth for you...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2014
  4. EternalShadow

EternalShadow Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I find Photoshop a lot easier to use - when I used GIMP, it required me to deselect tools before selecting a new one, for example. Also, I can often tell if an image has been made in GIMP as opposed to Photoshop. I don't know why, but the rendering of effects in GIMP often doesn't tend to be as good at its basic level (such as jagged edges)...

5. Arin

Arin Tonight...we dine...in-oh a piece of candy! Veteran

First Language:
    Fraglspock
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Photoshop and GIMP have slight variations on what they do regarding layers. Aside from that, they're pretty much the same thing.

6. Endafy

Endafy Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    So I just got Photoshop CS6 Extended for about $75. He needed new struts on his car and I talked him down from $100. Told him I already used Gimp and there was no reason to upgrade. Which is true.

I edited a couple of photos and like the image scaling better in Photoshop. The UI in single window mode in Gimp is about the same. Photoshop uses smaller icons for their tools, which makes it harder to use though. I really like the UI though.

If I had to pay 400 bucks for this, I wouldn't. For those with no money, Gimp is hands down, the best out there. I like it better than Paint.NET. I am just not feeling it with Photoshop. To me it feels like I can make my edits so much better, and I am going to play around with this, and try to make RTP character mods, from pixel art to a much more realistic set, still based on RTP. Give me like a month with life and all. The sprites look cartoony, but wouldn't they pop with added realism. Has anyone tried this with sprites? I want to leave them chibi but with more realism. This will teach me Photoshop.

As for printing... idk im not looking for a job.

So far though, Gimp is very on par (for RPG Maker) with Photoshop. Time will be the ultimate teacher here.

7. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That's incorrect. The printing industry favours vector programs, which means it uses Adobe Illustrator for its printing needs, not Photoshop. GIMP has nothing to do with printing, and neither does Photoshop.

As for the discussion, I can't give an accurate opinion, since I've only ever tried out GIMP once. Which ever program you're used to will suit you the most, of course. But once you get used to all of the options in Photoshop and add them to your workflow, it'll go by soooo much easier. The warp option for example, is not included in GIMP (they have a tool called the warp tool, which is the equivalent of the liquefy tool in Photoshop, but not the same thing), and it's very useful for quick short cuts. The layer styles are also plentiful in Photoshop, which is lacking in GIMP, and I use them extensively. Of course you probably won't ever touch those layer styles if you're not into; logos/text and graphic design in general.

I've had a lot of people watch my streams where I'm drawing tilesets, and they are amazed and/or confused by what I'm doing, since they've never seen that certain option or tool being used in that way. But one thing is for sure; it speeds up my work flow tremendously.

So basically, stick with GIMP if you want to be cheap, and are not planning on using it extensively. If you're an artist who draws every day, definitely go for Photoshop.

8. Evan Finkel

Evan Finkel Modeling Beholder Veteran

I use Photoshop before these days, but now I prefer SAI. (Though, I never used Gimp.)

9. nbee

nbee Villager Member

First Language:
    Engrish
    I don't think SAI is a good option for rearrange things like tilesets... 

It's the best compares to the other 2 if you want to draw things from scratch (especially if you had a pen tablet)

GIMP is mainly free, so it's good if you didn't want to put in too much time and efforts but still want a decent result.

It's all about personal experiences, the more you used to a program, the better you can exploit all of its potential. It all comes down to how well you use it and how good is your creativity. 

p/s: I use manga studio and sometimes SAI to draw busts even though I have more experience in pts and those 2, but somehow I feel more comfortable than drawing with pts.

Tuomo L likes this.
  10. SoulPour777

SoulPour777 Crownless King Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Photoshop. Why? Because of these reasons:

• BG Art
    • Easy Parallax Creation
    • Art Oriented Default Brushes
    • Easier to use for Vexel and Pixel Art
    • Good Quality over JPEG Artifact for Backgrounds

11. taarna23

taarna23 Marshmallow Princess Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    What the printing industry favours and what they need to work with are very often extraordinarily different beasts. My mother works for a local printing company (and has been doing this job since typewriters and negatives - none of this fancy photo editing stuff!), and often, they work with whatever the customer provides. Many times, they provide web-quality graphics, meaning small in overall size, and 72DPI to top it off. There's no explaining what will happen in attempting to print or work with something of that size, there's just no, that's what we have, go do it. They aren't paid to reinvent these peoples' graphics. They take what they're given and do what they can.

12. Evan Finkel

Evan Finkel Modeling Beholder Veteran

@nbee & SoulPour777: I am agree with you both, I prefer SAI in drawing busts artworks, for logo making I use "Sothink Logo Maker"

Good Reasons:

• Profession Quality
    • So many symbols to put over or behind the text
    • Stunning effects to use
    • Look at this made with Sothink by me
    [​IMG]

Good Reasons of SAI:

• Neat drawing
    • Line work option for layers (For mouser users, it makes easier.)
    • Fast coloring and easy selecting
    Good Reasons Of Photoshop:

• Fast and sublime parallax mapping
    • Very good for color replacing
    • Stunning layer effects
    • Quick tiles rearrange
    Good Reasons Of GIMP:

• Fast icon drawing
    • Quick tiles rearrange
    Bad Reasons Of GIMP:

• Dirty line work for mouse users