Picture is off-center?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by Roseredpinball, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Roseredpinball

Roseredpinball Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hello! So I'm trying to create a scene where the player character loses their glasses and can't see and to simulate this I want to make the screen look all blurry. I figured the easiest way to do this was to take a picture of the map and edit it in Gimp to make it look blurry and then use the Show Picture command to superimpose it over the map. I used Hime's Map Screenshot to take the mapshot and then edited it. However, when I use the Show Picture command the picture appears off-center and you can't see the player character or other characters in the scene. I tried setting it to Below Characters and setting the origin to both Upper Left and Center and still it doesn't work! I'm sorry, I've never been very good at pictures. Could someone please help me with this?

P.S. I hope I provided enough info but if you need more just let me know and I'll reply. Here's the edited mapshot btw along with a screenshot of the event:
    Map004.png rpgmaker screenshot.PNG

2. NeoFantasy

NeoFantasy Building Worlds Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I don’t use this command very often, so I might not be all that helpful, but is there an option to set the blending to add?

The reason as to why you can’t see the haracter May be because the picture is layered Ontop of everything else.

This is just my two sense, but I hope it helps.

3. Nightblade50

Nightblade50 Developer of "Delta Origins" Veteran

First Language:
    English, French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    But then the character will show up on top of all the blurry map, looking perfectly...sharp? Not blurry.

4. NeoFantasy

NeoFantasy Building Worlds Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    That’s true... Though you could always make a blurry version of the sprite as well and swap between them. Though there’s probably an easier way to do this I don’t know about. Regardless hopefully this helps in someway.

5. Nightblade50

First Language:
    English, French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    That would actually work. I tried searching for a script to make the screen blurry but no results. :(

NeoFantasy likes this.
  6. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Pictures always appear above the characters - the below/same as/above refers to the sprite on the event, and you have none.

You'd need to edit the script to make it include characters/events.

There is also a function that Ace has that takes a shot of the current screen and blurs it (for use in menus, and in battles if you haven't specified a battleback). But it might also omit event sprites.

7. Nightblade50

First Language:
    English, French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    It does ;_;

8. Roseredpinball

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hmm, I see. Thank you all for your input, it does indeed help. I think I will do that, make a blurry version of my sprites I suppose. Still, that doesn't solve my issue with the picture being off center unfortunately. Also, how do I edit the script to make the picture appear beneath events/characters? Thanks again for the help!

Ideally, I'd be able to use Show Picture to apply a transparent blurry image, kind of like a fog, over the whole thing. However, I couldn't find anything like this and attempts to make one myself in Gimp have hereto been unsuccessful, sadly.

9. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    If you use Modern Algebra's 'Fix Picture to Map' script (I'll have to hunt for the link), that allows you to set the picture below the sprites using a variable to change the z setting. I set it to -1 when I used it.

Also, because it fixes the picture, it should sort out your off-centre problem.

EDIT
    Here is the link to the script

10. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, does the script take a picture of the entire map or only the part that's visible on the screen?

I'd set it to centre, and set the x and y locations to half the screen width and height.

11. Roseredpinball

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thanks so much, this worked! Sorry I took so long to reply, it took me a bit of tinkering to do it and I kinda forgot to respond. XD Sorry, I meant to thank you a lot sooner!