Bestboy

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello, I have have this 3600x4800 picture that looks fine in windows. However, when I transfer it in RPGMV and open it with a show picture, it looks kinda weird. The picture is resized to only 15% width and height in the show picture menu, to match the screen.

May I ask how could I make the picture in RPGMV look clearer like the one without RPGMV?
One more question is if I have a 300x400 pixel picture and a size it up in RPGMV, it turns blurry. Is there a way I could prevent it from turning blurry?

I dont know if this has to do with my screen resolution, so i will just provide it anyways.
it is 3840x2160
Thank you!!!

Image 1 is the original picture with 3600x4800
Image 2 is the 3600x4800 in RPGMV
Image 3 is the 300x400 sized up in RPGMV
1627447976301.png1627447991645.png1627448020504.png

Last edited:

JacSkulls

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
For me, I had to change mine to 2100 x 3500 to make it looks somewhat decent. At least that way, you can see the details. No real blur when scaling. Forgot what I scaled to as I lost all my stuff a few days ago. But might be somewhat wise to make those smaller.

Bestboy

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For me, I had to change mine to 2100 x 3500 to make it looks somewhat decent. At least that way, you can see the details. No real blur when scaling. Forgot what I scaled to as I lost all my stuff a few days ago. But might be somewhat wise to make those smaller.
Do you know the reasoning for image 1 looking like image 2 in RPGMV? it is a 3600x4800 pixel picture

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it is a 3600x4800 pixel picture
which is why it has to be recalculated to work in a screen size of 816x624 (default) or whatever screen size you set your game to.

and
One more question is if I have a 300x400 pixel picture and a size it up in RPGMV, it turns blurry. Is there a way I could prevent it from turning blurry?
what you see is a fake blur, not a true blur, and it can only be prevented by making the zoom full multiplies. 200%, 300%, 400% are NOT blurry, 150%, 260% or anything that is not ending on 00% will always be more or less blurry, and NOTHING can prevent that blur.

in 2D pictures, the number of pixels is absolute, and changing that number either means deleting old info or guessing new info. And that ALWAYS has quality loss.

Your best option is to use a good imaging program to resize the pictures to the correct pixel numbers before using them. Programs like Photoshop or GIMP even allow you to select the mathematical formulae use to guess/delete the wrong pixel numbers, and they were written to maintain as much quality as possible.
all automatic zoom formulae come second (or third) place to that, which is why you get that huge drop in quality if you allow the resizing to be done with the simpler (but also faster) default formulae.

Bestboy

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
which is why it has to be recalculated to work in a screen size of 816x624 (default) or whatever screen size you set your game to.

and

what you see is a fake blur, not a true blur, and it can only be prevented by making the zoom full multiplies. 200%, 300%, 400% are NOT blurry, 150%, 260% or anything that is not ending on 00% will always be more or less blurry, and NOTHING can prevent that blur.

in 2D pictures, the number of pixels is absolute, and changing that number either means deleting old info or guessing new info. And that ALWAYS has quality loss.

Your best option is to use a good imaging program to resize the pictures to the correct pixel numbers before using them. Programs like Photoshop or GIMP even allow you to select the mathematical formulae use to guess/delete the wrong pixel numbers, and they were written to maintain as much quality as possible.
all automatic zoom formulae come second (or third) place to that, which is why you get that huge drop in quality if you allow the resizing to be done with the simpler (but also faster) default formulae.
Thank you for your information, may I ask you a question?
When you say recalculate the work in a screen size of 816x624. Is it best to have the bust the same number of pixels as the screen size which is 816x624?

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Bestboy it's best to make the bust 3/4 of the screen resolution you used
for your game, but full height resolution works too if you need it.

if your game resolution is 900, than make it around 600-700 to fit in nicely.
but thats up to you.

just use your game resolution as max height and max width, and not besides it.
otherwise, you need to use !pictureName, but than your full screen will cover
with the picture what you dont want either.

micoomer

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have the same problem before with resizing thing. What I'm doing to fix it, is to open the image file with any picture editing tools, and set the canvas size to same width and height (ex. 4800x4800) and leave the extra canvas transparent.
I think its because RM badly handle resizing the picture with other than rectangular shape.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is it best to have the bust the same number of pixels as the screen size which is 816x624?
that depends on how you want the result to look.

You can think of the screen size as the entire paper on which to draw.
do you want the hair of your people to hit the top of the window? If yes then use the full size, but most people prefer to have the heads of their people somewhat lower on the screen, and that means using less pixel.

ephesus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
it will look better if you make them smaller... seriously. dont let the engine resize them at all, just size them within, meaning under, your game's resolution.

JacSkulls

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Sorry for not replying. But it is as everyone on here says. Resizing on RPG Maker MV, it can't prevent the blurs. The true purpose, I think, for MV-MZ for resizing, is animation. Like... making something small to big or big to small. Even with moving the picture. So resizing your art would be the best approach and not on MV.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Well... it's been a while since I was last here :kaoswt: I don't want to say I'm officially 'back' yet, but I've recently started working with RM again, so I might become active here again :kaohi:
Mmmm I love Coca Cola candy! :kaoluv:
aaaand my power is out. I sometimes think that I'm cursed.
A surprising number of plugins have appeared for MZ since last year. I'm currently making a "shopping list" so that I'll know what I need to test when I switch over to MZ later this year. Much of it is stuff updated from MV plugins, but there are also a good number of new things. It'll be fun to test it all out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdsaphir