Pioneer Valley Games Resources - Official Topic

Discussion in 'PVGames Resource Packs' started by Jesse - PVGames, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Pine Towers

Pine Towers Knight Hospitaller Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    And the inverse? Do you plan to release the High Fantasy upscaled from 32x32 to 48x48? How does a resized High Fantasy blend with the future Medieval Tiles?

2. GaretJax

GaretJax Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Good Videos. Does the Fantasy Pack II replace the original or work along it. I am thinking about buying it in any case.

3. Jesse - PVGames

Jesse - PVGames Game and Graphics Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    The new Medieval packs are larger (48x48 pixel based instead of 32x32) so will not really work well alongside the older High Fantasy stuff.

4. Niten Ichi Ryu

Niten Ichi Ryu Grey Lords Emissary Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @GaretJax

From what I gathered from your recent posts, you own the Fantasy Mega Pack.

http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/a/graphics/high-fantasy-mega-bundle

the Fantasy Mega Pack is a bundle containing the fantasy pack I, the Fantasy Pack II and the extension The Deep

so

http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/a/graphics/high-fantasy-resource-bundle-2

and

http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/a/graphics/high-fantasy-resource-pack

and

http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/a/graphics/the-deep

are already included in the Mega Pack.

so If I understood correctly, no need to buy the fantasy pack II, as you own it already.

best way to check is verifying. some of your resources. Check the Tilesheets folder, you should see some starting by HF1 and some starting by HF2)

5. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    Finished up the Medieval: Warfare pack and the Medieval: Knights Templar add-on! Woo! Gonna submit them soon. Here is a look at some of the character pieces in the Knights Templar add-on:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also revised a picture I made for Medieval: Warfare:

[​IMG]

The previous version had outdated items (no shadows on the trees, no transparencies, certain items like the chair were too big, etc)

6. BloodletterQ

BloodletterQ Chaotic Neutral Assassin Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Love the turban. Can't wait.

7. Niten Ichi Ryu

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That knight in black. Can't wait...

8. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    Of course, the parts from the Knights Templar add-on can be fully mixed and matched with all the other parts from other packs, including the Warfare pack.

The Infamous Bon Bon likes this.
  9. Alkorri

Alkorri Proofreading Penguin Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Man I would love to get this in one whole pack! Great work :)

AwesomeCool likes this.
  10. AwesomeCool

AwesomeCool Bratty and spoiled little sister Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    After comparing these packs with your first packs you released, I am amazed by how much better they look. :)

Are you going to be releasing the packs in groups of two from now on?

11. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    Hard to say for sure, it just worked out that way thus far. The first two I definitely wanted to release together (Interiors and Town and Country) so that way people can start making games, which is much harder to do if you only have resources for just inside or just the outside, so it made sense. This time I was inspired to do the smaller add-on pack for fun and I thought the resources would be cool and people would (hopefully) enjoy them.

12. Niten Ichi Ryu

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey @Jesse - PVGames what about a few more teasers while we wait for the Medieval Warfare pack release ;)

Joke aside, you already gave us lots of details regarding the type of armors and weapons, but now I'm thinking, Warfare means opposing sides, so how many "factions" can we actually expect from the pack?

in terms of Heraldry, what colors or symbols can we expect?

So far I noticed Red, Red with Golden Lion, Yellow surcoat, blue and black surcoat, and from the Templar addons, the red cross on white, and Black with Silver Lion

13. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    @Niten Ichi Ryu The Warfare pack contains 9 different tabards, plus a couple of recolors of the 9th one which is just a plain solid color for easy recoloring of your own (I like to think of it as just a generic tabard). The Knights Templar add-on includes 3 additional ones.

14. Niten Ichi Ryu

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So potentially 11 different "noble factions". Great!

I can already imagine the golden lion say "Hear me roar", or something alike :)

Now time to dive back into books and videos about the Hundred Years war and similar.

found this pretty awesome one from swiss academics (sorry it's mostly in French )about the reality of Heavy Armor fighting.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2016
  15. deilin

deilin Ranger/Elementalist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Heavy armors biggest enemy, outside siege and tar/oil, were daggers and arrows. Their small blades could find the chinks in the armors fittings, although a hammer's pounding was just as effective. However, none of that matters if you are laying on your back after being knocked over. That's when the light infantry swarms in. Seeing even mock fights in full armor, it's not a epic as seen on TV and movies. It's sluggish with sometimes both side 'resting' before they can swing their weapon again in a drawn out battle. It's part of why those big glorious swords, axes and hammers were more for show then actual use in wartime.

kaukusaki, gRaViJa and AwesomeCool like this.
  16. Niten Ichi Ryu

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That's more or less what the video shows.

epic flourish and dual wielding decapitation are for shows. A melee bout in armor was all about overpowering your opponent to throw him to the ground and piercing him with a very sharp and pointy dagger (using your armored fist as a hammer to help dig it in) or wrestle your opponent until you find an opening to plunge your sword in the eyes slit, under the Gorgerin (neck piece) or in the soft place under the arms or behind the thighs. Better than a large hammer was the bec de corbin, and great sword were mostly used with the Half-Swording technique.

Regarding the laying on back, it's also a common myth that an armored knight was like an upturned turtle if he fell. Armor were designed for being heavy on chest and head, but lighter on arms, legs and joints, to prevent mobility restrictions. if a knight was stucked on his back, it's because he had been wounded before (or stucked under his horse), and so then not really the light infantry but the Archers were coming in to finish them off with daggers, after cavalry and infantry had passed.

And yes Archers could really be the bane of knights (Agincourt is one of the best example, though the french defeat is also due to plain arrogance and sheer stupidity of the french mounted nobility of the time).

Indeed Heavy armor fight may look sluggish, but it is also short, intense and brutal. Swords were not swung, they were pushed trough the opponents weak points.

15th Century sword fight manual presents techniques to disarm, overpower and throw down your opponents while aligning the sword for the critical strike that have nothing to envy to Jiu-Jutsu.

I wish there was a movie were they would get rid of the swashbuckling sword fighting and base themselves on the 14-15th century, and shows us medieval combat as it was: close quarters, brutal and pragmatic.

The Stranger, kaukusaki and gRaViJa like this.
  17. deilin

First Language:
    English
    Don't forget that this is Europe.

Mud, mud, and more mud across the battlefield, and then there's water. Unless they fought inside, it would still be hard to get up.

18. Niten Ichi Ryu

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Can't really forget that it is Europe, I was born 75 km from Agincourt and also studied a bit Medieval archeology in College :)

Mud can be slippery, but a Knight could roll from his back to his front, push on his knees, and use his sword to lift himself up, or get help from a squire or a brother in arms to get up.

19. deilin

First Language:
    English
    Assuming you aren't overrun. In battle, you'd have to hope someone can get between you and the enemy so you can take the minute or two to stand.

I forget which movie now, but I've only seen one movie that probably got medieval battle close. Though glamourized a bit, my favorite war movie is the 2 part version of Red Cliffs. If you've red The Romance (Romans) of the Three Kingdoms, I highly recomend the long 2 part version.

20. deilin

First Language:
    English
    Not sure what you have planned monster/animal wise, but I'd like to request sheets/battle sheets of these mythicas: Pegasus (horned and unhorned) and Unicorn, Phoenix, pretty sure you have a dragon going already, tiger.

Also, another idea that could be used, is sheets with light and dark "auras".

Niten Ichi Ryu likes this.