Pirates, Steampunk, Madness and Magic!

Discussion in 'Product Announcements and Sales' started by Lunarea, Apr 18, 2015.

1. PixelHeart

PixelHeart The Pixel Heartist! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I am VARY interested in the Pirate Ship Tiles and the VO pack. O_O !!!

What I Learned: If you want to really make your game unique....ya have to make your own resources, or at least do some heavy editing of existing resources. I've heard it said, its easier for one to make the story "YOURS" if you make the sprites yourself, and so on.... the second thing i learned is that its "STILL HARD" DX ....but fun :3 .       

2. Sakif X9

Sakif X9 Level 99 Persona User Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I learnt to accept criticism from anyone for the games I make.

3. The Prince of Sarcasm

The Prince of Sarcasm Prince of sarcasm Veteran

First Language:
    Sarcasm
    One of th things I learned first from rpg maker was through the tutorials. It taught me about the perspective used in the rpg maker engine and some basic mapping techniques.

4. Bonkers

Bonkers Bioware, do you need a nap? Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The first thing I learned when making games is the difference between commercial and non commercial distribution.  Namely when it comes to intellectual property and copy right.  Knowing what's allowed to be used and when is very important.  

?????? likes this.
  5. watermark

watermark Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What is one of the first things you learned when it comes to making games?

One of the first things? To make what you truly love. 

It's good to read up on articles on how-to's and best practices in the industry to get inspiration, but you don't have to follow all that advice all the time. Once I tried that: doing things like making the game dumber (aka more hand holding), dividing the game into little mini levels that people can solve really quickly, all good advice, but somehow...it makes me not want to play my own game anymore. I find that only by making a game I myself like to play would I be able to finish it. Although it might not be something the mainstream wants to play.

6. kaipi

kaipi Villager Member

First Language:
    german
    i just bought the pirate tiles pack pack (among some others) and did not get the download link for it. its not in the mail either. its listed under the bought pack in the mail and on the website. i paid for it :(

7. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If you got it on the forum store, try looking in your client area.

8. kaipi

kaipi Villager Member

First Language:
    german
    i did. its listed under items, but there is no download link for the pirate tiles pack!

edit: i really need support for this. if you want proof i can send you the confirmation email for the purchase.

edit 2: download link is there now. problem solved.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2015
  9. DragonVine

DragonVine May or May Not be Batman Veteran

First Language:
    English
    These look awesome!

Entry: What is one of the first things you learned when it comes to making games?

Never be afraid to try new things, and don't expect your first game to be everything you dreamed it to be. Experimenting is the only way you can learn to develop your skills, and it's the only way you can keep learning (as there is always something new to learn!). Plus, experimenting leads to asking questions, and asking questions in the right places to the right people will help you develop your skills even more.

10. Rose Guardian

Rose Guardian Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Entry: What was the first thing you learned when it comes to making games?

The first thing I learned was never mix different character set styles, or face styles.

11. Jomarcenter

Jomarcenter jomarcenter-MJM Veteran

First Language:
    ENGLISH
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Entry:The first thing I learn when I start making game for the first time is to Learn how the engine works. Check out the other works that was created using the engine and see what it can do without scripting. And then I manipulate those what they do with event on my own and try to make it much better. Then Afterward I write down the story for my game and also again manipulate it in the engine to see if the engine can do or I really do need a script to manipulate the event that happened in the story that I wrote. Afterward this is where the actual game development gone thru.

Edit: Normally this is a very long process When I try to start making a game using a engine that is very new to me.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2015
  12. sapiboong

sapiboong Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Entry:

It was to make games that YOU yourself would want to play. If you force yourself to make games that you don't personally like, you will have a hard time finishing it. Also, if even YOU want to play your game, then somebody would :)  

13. JacobM

JacobM Game Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A

I learned that feedback is essential. No duh, right? But I had no idea when I posted my game how much it would REALLY help. :D

Good luck everyone! These packs look really nice, too!

14. Matombo

Matombo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Cool finaly ship tiles ^^

For the giveaway:

The first thing i learned however: Making gamestakes a lot of time, espacaly if you want a cutscene with a lot of charackters moving around, or have a special building on mind that can't be formed with the available ressources, or if you want to draw your own char or .. yeah you see where this is going xD

15. DarthVollis

DarthVollis Moogle Master Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Entry:

The first thing I learned about making games is that make the game have a believable flow. too much jumping through events and story lines without notifying the player can ruin a game. If the player does not understand what needs to be done then how will the game continue?

16. Ksi

Ksi ~RTP Princess~ Moderator

First Language:
    English
    I guess the first thing I learned was that the creative process is more than you'd expect when first picking up an engine. You don't get somewhere in a few days worth of work - it takes a long time. Expecting people to heap praise on you just because you started something you think is great is silly. There's so much about creating a game you don't know and won't understand. The first thing I learned - the most important thing I learned - was that I did not know what I did not know. And that's fine. You take it step by step, learn piece by piece and eventually you find out that not knowing x will mean not knowing y. So you learn about x. And then learn about y. And then learn that there's a z, v and w after that.

Learning to accept that you do not know a lot of things, and that it will take more than a few weeks, months or years to do so, is the first and hardest thing to learn.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2015
    The Stranger likes this.
  17. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    These packs look great!  About time we got some piratey plunder, I say!

(Entry)  One of the first things I learned about game making, back when I was fiddling around with the Playstation RPG Makers as a teenager, was how important it is to get something playable implemented in the first couple of weeks.  My first few projects, I'd spend forever fiddling around with resources, battlers, skills, stats, minigames, maybe maps, and I did so in a perfectionist way... but it was all a bunch of bits and pieces that didn't chain together into something playable, and I'd eventually lose interest.

Once I changed my approach and built something broadly playable early in the project, where I could feel how it plays and experience it as a player in its early stages, then came back over and over to expand it and make it more perfect, I was able to find the drive to complete nearly every project I started.

18. Verador

Verador Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Awesome Stuff!

Entry: One of the first things that I learned was not to make your first game your dream game. Make a couple practice games and learn as much as you can before starting out on the big one.

19. Crazetex

Crazetex Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    That random encounters existed natively -- since I tried to replicate them with invisible bottom-layer on-touch events. :<

On a more serious note: Probably that making good games is hard work and not something that anybody could do. I've since strived to become pretty good at it.

EternalShadow likes this.
  20. LordDon

LordDon Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    The very first thing I learned is to ruthlessly cut away anything unnecessary to get the bare minimum viable game and work on that first.