Piskel Plugin for .gif animation management.

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV Improvement Boards' started by DPortStudios, Sep 7, 2018.

1. DPortStudios

DPortStudios Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Hello everyone!

ELI5 why this isn't already how images can be manipulated?

I literally just read a thread where mostly everyone uses Photoshop, which is great, except I do too and make my animations and save and edit them as I got in Photoshop. Why would I want to learn how to manipulate sheets if my brains working in the algorithm of movement? Let's not waste time about processing power. Raspberry pi's can run 3DS games, and potentially Switch games. If your computers blue screen from any game I make cause using Gif's as references for animation and artwork, then you've got bigger problems: Yoru tech is older than my pre-secondary education career.

Why can't I just straight up import a .gif as a side battler and link it to its appropriate overworld character?
    I have a bunch of Gifs and it's pretty easy to save and work with .gifs in Piskel insanely simple even. First encountered this idea after getting ClckTeam Fusion (And Stencyl, it's already the image and animation editor in GDevelop but GDevelop has no RPG Template yet so RPG Maker MV is still relevant until that changes or I steal all the database info and just paste it whenever it needs to go in GDevelop and was kinda wondering why this isn't streamlined.

Imagine a RPG Maker that literally lets you make whatever RPG you want. I think having .gif controls is a boon. but tell me why I'm wrong and I'll shut up about it.

And just so I don't sound super brattish off the cuff here are my not so programmer savvy explanations of easy to fix solutions around the "It works on a bitmap sheet level so we can't do that." Hogwash I see the wizardry in the Javascript plugins thread. I've been on this Forum for months, I've used this program for years.

Program new ID's.

Make those ID's editable and layered.
    I.E:
    $CharacterGif/$MobGif/$BossGif

$BackgroundGif Layer: T/F
    $SkillGif Layer: T/F
    $SkillGifMobLayer:T/F

just tell me the truth why this wasn't done in the last decade.

2. Poryg

Poryg Pixie of the Emvee kingdom Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    One problem: Background transparency.
    It is possible nowadays even with gifs, but not every gif can be transparent. In past it didn't use to be this way btw.; for a couple of years RGBA had been long reserved pretty much only for pngs.
    Another thing is, gifs cannot be natively used by PIXI, MV's 2D graphics rendering engine. They need to be converted to spritesheets beforehand.

3. DPortStudios

DPortStudios Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    That's actually helpful, thanks Poryg.