StrawberryFlower

The Talking Fruit
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I feel like I've scoured opengameart.com and itch.io for battlebacks in a pixel-art style.

Does anyone know where I could find some? Or how I can efficiently make my own? Are there any for sale in the store? I think I've seen ONE pack..?

I wouldn't mind paying as long as there's a good variety.

Thanks!

Avery

Sleeping Dinosaur
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
How open are you to angering the gods of pixel art?

If you take an RTP battle back and scale it down (no interpolation) and up again (no interpolation), it starts looking pixelating.
If you now open an image of the pixel palette of your choice (in my example: Endsega 32) and index that image, you have a neat base. Copy your already violated battleback in that image file and it will only have these colors and look linda pixelated:

Anger the gods.png
If you don't like the result you can play around with recoloring the battleback before copying it over, but generally, it works.

StrawberryFlower

The Talking Fruit
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Avery I'm not against angering the gods at all. Nope.

However, I would like to know what you mean by "no interpolation". Do you mean nearest neighbor? Is this jargon from Photoshop? I use Paint.net for all my pixel art. XD

Same thing with the index part. Is that a Photoshop thing too?

If I have to, I'll go in this direction. I'm surprised that there is a lack of pixel art backgrounds for RPGs to be honest. xD

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
However, I would like to know what you mean by "no interpolation". Do you mean nearest neighbor? Is this jargon from Photoshop?
No all around - no interpolation means no interpolation, and it's standard terminology in image editors.
interpolation.png
Same thing with the index part. Is that a Photoshop thing too?
Again, no, standard.
index.png
I use Paint.net for all my pixel art. XD
You should be able to do a quick Google with these terms to see if Paint.net can do them. In my reading, I've gotten the understanding that Paint.net trades ease of use for lack of some features. You might consider switching to GIMP (which is also free, and what these screenshots are from).

StrawberryFlower

The Talking Fruit
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Whelp, guess I'll go download Gimp for at least this stuff.

Thanks for explaining it to me!!

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Stuff that is meant for battle backs is kinda hard to find, but if you look for things made for side scrollers you can find some really good things.

Dutchmountain

Engineering the impossible
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There is a neat tool to convert any picture into pixel art.
It is called Pixelator: http://pixelatorapp.com/
I experimented with it myself and works pretty well, also for battle backs.

StrawberryFlower

The Talking Fruit
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Sharm - I've been looking sidescroller assets for this very reason lol.

@Dutchmountain - I've used that tool before, though it makes the end result hard for me to edit in the end.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Downpixeling might work better if you start with vector graphics. I've seen some of those for side scrollers, but they tend to look really cartoony.

What kind of things are you looking for in your backs anyway? Maybe I'll get inspired and make something.

StrawberryFlower

The Talking Fruit
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Sharm - I'm thinking more inside ones, like caves, crypts, sewers, factories, etc. The backgrounds I always see are outdoors for some reason. XD

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yeah, that's true. Although the inside stuff is pretty easy to find for side scrollers and platformer backgrounds, it's almost never seen as a battle back. Ansimuz has a cave battle back, and I've seen caves for side scrollers before. Cave are hard though, I've been trying to make a nice looking one for a while now, and I'm failing so hard. I don't think I've seen a factory anywhere. I'll look up some reference images, see if I get inspired.

Do you have any other requirements? Resolution or color count or palette or art style or anything?

C64_Mat

System Masters
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You could just apply a filter to existing images in GIMP - Filters - Blur - Pixelate.
Make sure the little chain is attached in the pop up, meaning changes to the pixel size will be square, and then try sizes 2, 3 or 4 depending on the sort of resolution you're looking to emulate.

StrawberryFlower

The Talking Fruit
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Sharm - I usually try to size my assets 3x for RPG Maker MV. So the default resolution divided by 3 is usually the best for me. As for colors I've been using this palette from lorspec: AAP-64.

@C64_Mat - I'll try this method and see what happens!

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I'm having toooo much fun designing the new MP (Mental Psyche) system. I've only worked it out for enemies so far, but it's fun to stun them, then go after their MP and delete them instead to farm for better item drops.
anyone know of a place I can promote my game? sorta like game awards but for indie devs, like a place where I can drop a trailer and like stir up some hype
Doing RPG Maker News for 17th October 2021

That moment when you came up with a very good game title, but when you searched it, it has already been used... T.T
Crazy week. My anxiety decides to go nutz. Worse thing about it is that it causes me to lose focus on my work. I was able to leave early one day and take a nap. Seemed to help. How is everyone? Boosters coming soon here. Get my life back on track again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raidans