Catzach

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I need some help with resolutions and maintaining quality in sprites, I'm aware there's already a resolution thread going on but I feel like this is slightly a bit of a different issue.

There's a bit of a pixel-issue with my sprites (of which I can only assume is because of the resolution of the game) where some parts of the pixel look too thin and others too thick. I downloaded SumRndmDde's Game Upgrade plugin to fix the issue and bump the game resolution to a smaller resolution on a bigger screen resolution. While that did fix the pixels, the textbox window bleeds off screen and won't adjust, same with the face sprite on the left and going into full-screen ends up making the pixel issue return.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? It's hard to put into words exactly what problem I'm having but I would really like to at least have the same kind of game resolution and pixel-perfect graphics OMORI or Escaped Chasm has since it was made on the same engine but I'm uncertain if it has something to do with the sprites, resolution, or engine anymore. I'm practically using several plugins at once in an attempt to patch up every issue but there's still a quality of life issue that persists.

If there's any solution be it paid plugins or coding help I would be absolutely grateful as I tried everything I could Google in an entire afternoon. I'm not very knowledgeable in terms of coding, I would be extremely thankful for a nudge in the right direction as this has been a roadblock in my projects for days.

Attachments

• subpixelissues.png
    subpixelissues.png
    329.1 KB · Views: 7

Nolonar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French, German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The problem you're facing is because MV uses an HTML canvas to render graphics, which uses smoothing by default. Fortunately, you can tell the canvas not to use smoothing (through CSS, don't ask me why), this also has the side benefit of improving rendering performance slightly (the improvement is more noticeable on low end devices).

Additionally, pictures are smoothed separately from the canvas, so if you display a picture at a size over 100%, the picture is smoothed using linear interpolation by default. This can be turned off via a plugin.

As luck would have it, I wrote a plugin a few months back that turns off smoothing for both pictures and the canvas. You can find it here: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/n_pixelate.126636/

Note that while the plugin was written for MZ, it also works on MV (1.6.2)

Catzach

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The problem you're facing is because MV uses an HTML canvas to render graphics, which uses smoothing by default. Fortunately, you can tell the canvas not to use smoothing (through CSS, don't ask me why), this also has the side benefit of improving rendering performance slightly (the improvement is more noticeable on low end devices).

Additionally, pictures are smoothed separately from the canvas, so if you display a picture at a size over 100%, the picture is smoothed using linear interpolation by default. This can be turned off via a plugin.

As luck would have it, I wrote a plugin a few months back that turns off smoothing for both pictures and the canvas. You can find it here: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/n_pixelate.126636/

Note that while the plugin was written for MZ, it also works on MV (1.6.2)

I apologize for the extremely late reply, your plugin helped but I also figured out a workaround for the issue. Thank you very much!!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Generally speaking, would there be interest in some form of tutorial regarding general project management? I see there are a lot of indie/self-taught devs around here, and looking back i feel like there was a lack of resources on how to properly manage a project that might take several years to finish
I've been working on some ABS team A.I. for 'A New Suburbia', and thought I'd share.

I'm generally quite please although the AI is a little grenade heavy right now :rolleyes: - Sneaking and stalking next! Please excuse the terrible map... it was just for ease of viewing!
Voting for the second round of the Map Madness Tournament is now live! Vote for your favorite in each matchup! https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?forums/map-madness-2021-polls.187/
Just bought the Visustella All Waves bundle... Time to go IN!!
Oh, I was just confirmed I'll be doing small online classes during june - july, on one side I'm nervous and looking forward it, on the other one: I've became the very thing I swore to destroy. :kaodes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
speedylmao