Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralph

Retired Badass
Restaff Lead
Reaction score
First Language
Fantasy Heroics

Welcome to RPG Maker Web's first single elimination spriting tournament. Sixteen spriters enter, one spriter leaves the winner. The rest take a walk.

But how do you become one of the sixteen?

Create a single, never before seen sprite in the VX/Ace style. The VX/Ace style is important, as the tournament is judged by blind voting, so all sprites must be in the same style. Once your sprite is complete, PM it to me (Ralph), our forum Event Boss. All qualifying sprites will be put up without names with a poll allowing the forum users to rate each sprite from 1 to 5. The sixteen sprites with the best average rating will move on to the tournament.

IMPORTANT: Qualifying has been extended! Full Schedule will be adjusted based on when we start. ENTER THOSE SPRITES GUYS!

Each round will begin with a theme being announced. Once the theme for that round is announced, you will have four days (from the beginning of Friday to the end of Monday) to create a single sprite in VX/Ace style for that theme. On Tuesday, each sprite will be put head to head against another sprite based on the brackets. Blind polls will be put up allowing the forum users to vote for one of the two sprites. The sprite with the most votes by the end of Thursday of that week will go on to the next round. The other sprite goes home.

The last spriter standing at the end of the final round is the winner!

1. You have until Midnight at the end of each Monday (GMT-5) to turn in your sprite. If you do not meet this deadline, you forfeit that round.

2. You may not tell anyone else which sprite is yours. All voting must be done blind. If for some reason you inform someone else which sprite is yours, PM Ralph with the name of the user and they will not be allowed to vote. Anyone found cheating the blind voting will be disqualified.

3. Anyone participating in the tournament is not allowed to vote in the tournament.

Don't have any skill at spriting? Don't worry, there is still something for you to do in this contest. Its time to test out your prognostication skills. So look in that crystal ball and try to pick the winners of each matchup every round.

Once the 16 participants are determined, you can fill out a bracket. In order to do this, you will fill in a fillable pdf form with the full bracket. You will need to fill out the full bracket with all of your predictions by the end of April 22nd.

You will get points for each correct prediction you make as follows:

Round 1: 1 Points
Round 2: 2 Points
Champion: 5 Points

You can download your Bracket Entry Form here:

BracketEntryForm.pdf

Alternate Download Link

At the end of the tournament the user with the highest point total wins!

Friday, April 12th: Last Day to Vote on Qualifying Sprites.

Saturday, April 13th: Announcement of the Brackets
Saturday, April 13th-Monday April 22nd: Bracket Entry

Tuesday, April 16th: Announcement of Round 1 Theme
Tuesday, April 16th-Monday, April 22nd: Round 1 Creation.
Tuesday, April 23rd-Thursday, April 25th: Round 1 Voting

Friday, April 26th: Announcement of Round 1 Winners/Updating of Point totals for bracket competition.

Tuesday, April 23rd:Announcement of Round 2 Theme
Tuesday, April 23rd-Monday, April 29th: Round 2 Creation.
Tuesday, April 30th-Thursday, May 2nd: Round 2 Voting

Friday, May 3rd: Announcement of Round 2 Winners/Updating of Point totals for bracket competition.

Tuesday, April 30th: Announcement of Finals Theme
Tuesday, April 30th-Monday, May 6th: Finals Creation.
Tuesday May 7th-Thursday, May 9th: Finals Voting

Friday, May 10th: Announcement of Contest Winner/Announcement of Bracket Winner

Champion:
Any item from the forum store (includes VXAce or Member+)

2nd Place:
3 Months Member+ or an item from the store under $20

Participants:
A participation achievement badge

Credits to Ocean's Dream for the Banner Background.
Credits to Conveito for doing my Alex request and the free avatars.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

EvilEagles

Stargazer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
Other
Probably not joining. But I'm super enthusiastic about this. So looking forward to seeing everyone's sprites.

'tis gon be an intense battle. I EXPECT BLOODSHED.

Des

timefantasy.net
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
American
Primarily Uses
N/A
seems cool. i'm not much interested in creating rtp style sprites (nor do I have the time), but it might be fun. i doubt i'll enter—but I've got to ask. can the winner give away his prize to somebody else? say if they already have everything they want from the members+ store, might they be allowed to use their prize as a giveaway for listeners of a certain podcast?

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@des.

Yeah, the prize is yours to do what you want with it. We will apply it to whichever account you want us, too. If you win and want to use a prize you win as a giveaway for your podcast that is fine and we'll make it work.

Also, yeah, I understand the thing with RTP style not being what everyone likes to do, but if we don't restrict to an individual style then it breaks the blind voting.

Des

timefantasy.net
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
American
Primarily Uses
N/A
will the sprites be full animated, all 12 frames? or is it just a front idle for the design?

also can competitors opt out of the participant award?

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Full animated. And if you don't want the participatory award thing, you don't have to have it.

BILL_NYE_THO

The Science Guy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Is frankenspriting okay? Obviously, with heavy edits, but basically not completely from scratch.

EvilEagles

Stargazer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
Other
Is frankenspriting okay? Obviously, with heavy edits, but basically not completely from scratch.
Maybe not. We wouldn't be able to tell how heavy is 'heavy' anyway. It's okay to start from the VX base, but that's about where everyone kinda has to start at.

Besides, that would sort of defeat the meaning of this contest too.

BILL_NYE_THO

The Science Guy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Maybe not. We wouldn't be able to tell how heavy is 'heavy' anyway. It's okay to start from the VX base, but that's about where everyone kinda has to start at.

Besides, that would sort of defeat the meaning of this contest too.
Yeah, good point. I was just wondering. I don't think I'm good enough to enter anyway.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
VNM
You should still try tho! What matters too is the concept design 

Emzie

ಠ_ಠ
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
Event Boss are now exist?! *gasp*

I'm not joining, but this is a cool contest! :D

Xoltox

Ehmm... what?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hindi
Primarily Uses
Count me in, It's going to be fun but wait! Can we start PMing now?

XppZ90

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
At least i can try guessing who will win the rounds since I am not capitable of creating sprites :D

Xoltox

Ehmm... what?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hindi
Primarily Uses
Uh just for the record can anyone provide me with a base?

ShinGamix

DS Style 4Ever!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
April Fools
Primarily Uses
N/A
As long as the sprites are ace compatible do they have to be in RTP Ace style of art and proportions? Can I drawn the spites in ds style size or other proportion as long as the characters are in Ace format?

EvilEagles

Stargazer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
Other
I think, as long as it's human, you have to use the VXA style.

Xoltox

Ehmm... what?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hindi
Primarily Uses
Thanks Evil Eagles

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The reason for the VX/Ace style is for the blind voting. If one person is using another style its too easy for people to figure out who is who.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Stream will be live shortly! Tonight will be the PREMIERE of Killer 7 for the first half of the stream, and at half-stream, we will switch to a session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!
Watching the launch, I felt a sort of detached excitement. Usually I'd think something like this would be extremely exciting. I'm fascinated by space exploration and am a big Sci-Fi fan. I guess it's just current events.
What did everyone else think about it?
Doing ep 1 of my RPG!
For those still craving more Konosuba madness
I'm new here, any tips welcome

Hope you fun! :LZSgrin: :LZSkiss:
I set my goal to be finished with Knight Bewitched 2 by sometime in July. Based on my current work schedule and progress, I'm not sure that's going to happen, but by golly I'm gonna try!
I've completed and uploaded the Elemental Light Demo Edition!!!!
I'm so excited, I hope you enjoy it and I will appreciate any tips from you all!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hexedpalidin