Pixel Madness 2013

Discussion in 'Community Announcements and Events' started by Ralph, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BILL_NYE_THO

BILL_NYE_THO The Science Guy Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Is it fair that some are more than one standard sheet? Won't that affect opinion?

2. Jawnsunn

Jawnsunn glass cannon Member

First Language:
    English
    Not really. Sure you got more animation frames on your sprite, but your execution and how your sprite looks is what matters. I think.

Also, very hyped for future champs. Make sure to get your game on and sprite like the best. Read up on pixel articles on Despain and Pixelation's pages if you want to sharpen your skills.

ct_bolt likes this.
  3. ct_bolt

ct_bolt Creator Veteran

First Language:
    Javascript
    Maybe I missed it, but I was just curious... how will this be scored? By average or by most votes with highest scores. :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2013
  4. BILL_NYE_THO

First Language:
    English
    According to the first post it will be a bracket-style competition, but such bracket does not exist yet...

ct_bolt likes this.
  5. themo

themo Artist Veteran

First Language:
    english
    I just wish i didn't half-ass my qualifier now that i see the quality of the others lol

ct_bolt likes this.
  6. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Qualifying round is to determine seeding. It will be done based on average score. After that each round will have two sprites in each topic and you can only vote for one of the two, and its just whoever gets the most votes.

ct_bolt likes this.
  7. BILL_NYE_THO

First Language:
    English
    Thank you for the clarification.

ct_bolt likes this.
  8. ct_bolt

ct_bolt Creator Veteran

First Language:
    Javascript
    Thank you so much for that info. Sounds good to me. :D How many will go on from the qualifying round?

9. themo

themo Artist Veteran

First Language:
    english
    This forum has made the process of learning really fun. Things like resource requests and this competition force me to try things i otherwise wouldn't .. i am having a great time heh.

Jayshr and ct_bolt like this.
  10. Jayshr

Jayshr Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I know what you mean, Themo... xD I looked around and saw some tutorials/resources and it makes me want to just try harder to get better at spriting. And if we're feeling this way and the competition is just starting I can only wonder what I'll be like if we get further in ha ha XD

11. Touchfuzzy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Schedule updated in opening post.

12. Gomi Boy

Gomi Boy   Veteran

First Language:
    the truth
    And in true RPG Maker fashion, more and more entries are being outed as edits or outright frankensprites. In true RMWeb fashion, they're bein' ignored by organizers because well, like, it's not as if they're being rude or anything.

Happy April Fools', everybody!

BILL_NYE_THO likes this.
  13. Jayshr

Jayshr Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
     :C Well, at least there are enough entries to do the Pixel Madness in the first place. Something tells me it would be a lot harder to run if a buncha people were eliminated/disqualified before it was run. ;^;

14. Gomi Boy

Gomi Boy   Veteran

First Language:
    the truth
    Yeah, it kind of says a lot that these desperate measures had to be taken in the first place.

e: actually never mind this gets its own post.

15. Touchfuzzy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    One of the bonuses of a single elimination tournament is that bad stuff gets eliminated early anyway, so its not really that important.

Also, if you have an issue, you could you know, talk to me rather than just be a jerk on the forums.

Jayshr likes this.
  16. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    It was never stated in the rules they're not allowed to franken/edit though.

Considering how this also happened in VX.net and is a success. I am not really surprised about anything.

It was the design that mattered.

17. Jayshr

Jayshr Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Only thing I could see was that it called for "Create a single, never before seen sprite in the VX/Ace style". :( It never said from scratch or how... The frankensprites/edits meet the criteria as I can see. xD I don't particularly care/mind, mostly because I'm here to have fun (isn't that the point?) Even frankensprites have enough combinations to be never before seen/unique.

And again, I'm just glad we're able to have the contest ;_;     I'm just hoping a lot of drama doesn't stem from the whole thing.

18. Gomi Boy

Gomi Boy   Veteran

First Language:
    the truth
    One of the things about a frankensprite is that it isn't immediately recognizable as one in a lot of cases, and people who vote based on first impressions (i.e. most of the participants) are unable to change their vote afterwards if they feel strongly about this. Frankensprites aren't overtly bad-looking and there's no flashing sign next to them to out them, so the mechanic you're bringing up here doesn't really apply.

The disconnect between actual effort and apparent results is what gives me pause about their inclusion here, and makes me sort of glad that I was too late to participate in the first place. If my stuff was being lumped in with frankensprites, I know for a fact that I'd be getting legit angry about it.

BILL_NYE_THO likes this.
  19. BILL_NYE_THO

First Language:
    English
    I wouldn't say it as frankly as you did, but this is a very accurate summary of my feelings on the issue. I spent about 5 hours making mine pixel-by-pixel. It's not super good, but I didn't take shortcuts.

I actually asked point-blank in this very thread if we could do frankenspriting, because I knew my sprite would look way better if I could. I didn't necessarily get a definitive answer, but basically I was discouraged from frankenspriting. So I did it by hand.

I'm personally not worried about the results, I could care less if I win or am quickly eliminated- I just feel like I should have had more clarification so this all didn't make me feel like I wasted my time when it was unnecessary. 

Jayshr likes this.
  20. dw817

dw817 ◈ Senior Games Programmer ◈ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Oof. 12 sprites ? 12 ? Whatever happened to 8. Good old face N S E W and one extra animation step to show you're not actually floating. :distrust:

I wouldn't mind being a bit of a judge however since I live, breathe, eat, sleep, PIXELS. Even have nightmares about games sometimes. :unsure:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.