Pixel Myth question - grass color flickering

C Frost

Level 51 Procrastinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Just picked this up, and first off, I want to say that I absolutely love it! It's a gorgeous tileset that I find VERY easy to use. However, there is one strange issue I am having, and I want to see if anyone else has experienced this, or might know what's causing it.

The grass tile changes color when the map is scrolled - i.e. when play testing, if I walk around and the map scrolls as I walk (either horizontally or vertically), this issue appears, but ONLY if the map is scrolling. If I'm walking near the edge of the map so there is no scrolling, everything is normal. The grass changes color slightly, taking on a shade of darker green, whenever I am walking. When I stop walking, it goes back to normal instantly.

The specific tile I'm referring to is the "main" grass tile - the one that's selected in this shot:

The same effect happens to any of the grass tile variants as well (i.e. grass with water, grass/dirt road, etc). I just tested again, and it sort of happens with some other green colored tiles (the lightest colored hedge wall, especially), but not to nearly the same degree. I wouldn't have noticed it in the hedge wall if I hadn't been looking for it, but the much stronger version of the effect present in the grass tile jumped right out at me immediately. Could this just be some sort of weird rendering effect having to do with how the engine displays certain colors while scrolling the map?

This issue happens whether the map is filled with grass, or there is just a small bit of it placed on the map. Any idea what might be causing this? Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
That is really strange.  It's not the pack though, there's nothing I could possibly have done when making the tiles to have that kind of effect.  It could be that there's something weird going on with your monitor and the grass just happens to have some sort of quality that makes it show up more easily.

BeardBro

I think this line's mostly filler.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I had this issue on my craptop recently when using any non-RTP tiles in my project. No explanation, just started happening out of the blue. It didn't occur when I created a new project, for some reason. I would try that and see if the issue persists; if you still have the problem in a new project, you might be looking at a reinstallation of RMVX Ace.

It could also be a monitor issue, as Sharm already suggested. Is there any way you can screencap the problem so we can see exactly what's happening?

Last edited by a moderator:

C Frost

Level 51 Procrastinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
That is really strange.  It's not the pack though, there's nothing I could possibly have done when making the tiles to have that kind of effect.  It could be that there's something weird going on with your monitor and the grass just happens to have some sort of quality that makes it show up more easily.
Hm, or graphics processor more likely - I say that because I have two screens connected to this computer, and I can see the issue on both, so it seems unlikely that either monitor would itself be the cause of the issue. Doesn't seem to be a problem anyone else has seen, based on some Google searching, and it isn't showing up with other tilesets. I never noticed it before but now that I'm looking for things like this, there is some general darkening going on with a few other tiles - specifically, roofs that are made up of lots of little tiny shingles have a similar effect, but roofs made up of a smaller number of larger shingles don't. So, the commonality between the grass and those particular roofs seems to be "tiles that are made up of lots of little pieces" I guess? Very strange.

Ah well. If it's not behavior you've seen, it's probably just a fluke. As I said, google gave me basically nothing, so it probably is just some odd property of how my system is processing those tiles. Fortunately this isn't exactly a deal breaker issue, just figured I'd post and see if there was some obvious cause or solution. It's slightly bothersome but I'll live. And this tileset is too good to just not use it over something this minor.

Thanks for the quick reply, and for the lovely tileset!

EDIT: Macatlas posted while I was posting...

I had this issue on my craptop recently when using any non-RTP tiles in my project. No explanation, just started happening out of the blue. It didn't occur when I created a new project, for some reason. I would try that and see if the issue persists; if you still have the problem in a new project, you might be looking at a reinstallation of RMVX Ace.
Interesting, I don't have the issue with the RTP, but nor do I have it with DS or Ancient Dungeons. However! On a whim I just tested some more stuff and I found another tile that I have that does this. The tall grass here, selected in the screenshot below (I believe this is a Mack tileset).

So yeah, this theme of tiles that are, visually, made up of a bunch of small, tightly packed together objects being prone to this color flicker seems to be holding true to some degree. So it may very well be some weird issue with how some computers are processing these visuals.

As for trying it in a new project, it already was. I created a brand new project and modified nothing whatsoever aside from importing the PM tilesets, in order to get the hang of using said tilesets (I always start a fresh project to test out new tilesets).

It could also be a monitor issue, as Sharm already suggested. Is there any way you can screencap the problem so we can see exactly what's happening?
As I indicated in this post, it's not a monitor issue per se since two different monitors are both showing the issue, but it does seem to be specific to certain systems.

As to recording the problem, one of my first thoughts was to take a short video snippet, and either post that somewhere or convert it to a .gif for posting or something, so I could demonstrate. But, bizarrely, the issue doesn't show up in the video. I can clearly see the grass color shifting when the actual game is running, but I can NOT see it when watching the video I recorded in OBS. Which, now that I think about it, lends further credence to the theory that this is some kind of strange internal processing issue. Somewhere in the line of components and processes responsible for rendering all these graphics, SOMETHING is unhappy with the way these particular tiles are put together. :unsure:

boldpaste2

The Dragon Heretics
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I think it's monitor specific. my parallax maps do it on some screens while others do not. I think it's something called ghosting.

Pretty much, monitors that have this problem tries to draw a new frame while the other frame has yet to be erased. So, any parts

of an image that has a huge color set change (like pixel myth grass) the ghosting causes a blur between the pallets. All screens

will ghost, some worse then others. (if its really bad then that means there is an issue).

To give you an idea of ghosting, watch the alien. if he looks blurry to you, that is the ghosting effect.

http://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates

EDIT: As for the OBS test. The play back rate is probably slower then what RPG maker was running at. If the video is at a lower FPS, there are less frames to draw so the ghost effect is less noticeable.

EDIT 2:

Here is an example shot of ghosting. This is minor ghosting (1 pixel update lag) the grass on the left was scrolling while the grass on the right is idle. doesn't the one on the left look darker?

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm curious, what's your refresh rate like?  If it's low, that could be the problem too.

boldpaste2

The Dragon Heretics
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm curious, what's your refresh rate like?  If it's low, that could be the problem too.
Don't know who you are waiting an answer for so I'll go ahead and tell you what I got.

I got 3 displays all running at 60Hz. Only 2 causes that color changing ghosting effect.

C Frost

Level 51 Procrastinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Refresh rate is at 59 hz, so not low enough to cause this issue, at least I wouldn't think so.

boldpaste2: Hadn't seen that resource before. The 60 FPS alien looked a tiny bit blurry, and the 30 FPS one was really blurry and jittery. So it may just be a general screen ghosting or some other slight flaw in the picture coming through, that just affects some RPGM tiles more than others. The example shots you provided, with the two different grass images, is a pretty close recreation of what I see when I run my game on a PM map, with the grass looking darker when the map is scrolling (as well as this slight flicker from the more complex roof tiles).

So there may not be anything to be done about it, it seems. Pity, but eh. There are worse tragedies in life!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Me and brother have an ongoing rivalry. We constantly fight for the High Score in Galaga on our arcade cabinet. Today I take back the top with 239,000. He'll be back. (No-Fire glitch is banned)
Made Custom ENEMY Information Screen
I'm having such a hard time thinking of an interesting battle system. and not being a coder, certain things I wanna do seem a lot harder lol.
Created a character outline with some code. I have no use for this. I'm....bored.....
Having lots of fun using different PS brushes to add a lil' texture to the floors and walls in my maps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahmbor